Mod Reviews

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

So, I've decided to start something a little unorthodox perhaps. I've decided to create a thread where users can post reviews of mods they have played. I'll keep track of each review and edit this first post as necessary to form an index page of links to each review. Some people may have heard a lot of a mod, but never played it, so may have tried it long ago and haven't tried the new edition and some people may just want to browse here and look at a few reviews and choose a new mod to play with. Most likely, like most of the threads I have tried to make, this will fall flat on it's face and be forever forgotten, but I'm optimistic and think it will be a pretty neat idea. So with that all done, welcome to:

The Mod Review Thread

All thanks to the mod hosting site, Xelerus

Category : Adventure Extensions
The Network -- an adventure that makes a maze of over 100 stargates to explore, and offers a much greater Transcendence experience

Category : Enhancements
Stargate Dock n' Go -- this mod allows much easier use of the stargates
NoDock Nav Beacons -- tired of always accidentally docking at turrets or nav beacons? This handy mod fixes it!
Repair Droids -- this mod adds an extra device akin to the Patch spider, but a much better version of it, for repairing your armour.
Auto-Refuel -- tired of manually refueling your ship every few minutes? Why not let this mod automatically refuel your ship for you? Just make sure you stock up on fuel!

Category : Godmods
Allmighty Wrench -- it does what it says on the packet - this godmod styled mod will fix any and all broken items!

Category : Weaponry
Shrikes' Mines and Missiles -- do you want more bang for your buck out of the NAMI Heavy Launcher, or the Mine Launcher? Then this mod is for you!

Guidelines to Mod Reviewers:
This is not the place to announce your own mod or to review your own mod. Please create your own thread in Mod Announcements to do so.
When reviewing mods, please provide constructive comments and criticism. Please label your review and provide a link to that mods Xelerus page. If you want your own mod reviewed, PM me and I will review it ASAP. Thank you.

Disclaimer:
Please note that I will use different categories to Xelerus and so reviewed mods will be categorized differently. Please note that the advice I (or other reviewers) give is to be considered as a guide only, and if any advice I give directly or indirectly leads to an adverse reaction in any way, I (or other reviewers) am not to be held responsible.
Last edited by ThePrivateer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Network
From here and by Drako Slyith.

The Network is one of the few Adventure Extension mods around, and like most others, it promotes extending the playtime of Transcendence by adding extra systems - as of the latest edition, that number is around 100, much larger than other mods.

Essentially, this mod makes a Maze, or a Network of stargates - each system might link to two or three others, which in turn link to three others and so on, making this a huge adventure. The Network takes no prisoners - straying from the Vanilla path is quite difficult - the enemies are very strong just two or three systems off the main path. But with the danger comes the reward of phat loot that vanilla players can't get until levels later on.

The Network forms a real maze - it is very easy to get lost, but thankfully it is built using 1.04 and thus includes a Galactic Map to keep track of things. You can make a real spiderweb traveling to and from different systems. It is engaging and addictive and amplifies what makes Transcendence good to being superb.

I'm still in the early levels, so check back and I'll tell you all about the much-talked about Pathways controlled by factions and the new storylines emerging.

Conclusion: If you want a real challenge and you want to extend Transcendence, this is the mod for you. Fun, exciting and engaging, the action never stops and you'll get into some really hectic moments when you stray from the path on the quest for loot and glory.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If you are interested, I got a domain, we can come up with a mod review blog, site, etc, like Xerlus but to rate mods, like IMDB or (namely) Rotten Tomatos?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

For any of those who want a completely different and almost stress- free game, I recommend a couple of mods:

Stargate Dock n Go by
SiaFu
Tired of always circling around the stargate just to get to the next system? Well, Stargate Dock n Go makes stargate use much easier for those who are IE500 inclined or are just plain lazy at managing ship direction. As an added bonus, this mod also saves fuel by helping you use your ship’s computer to target the stargate in a fast manner so as to avoid needless early-game deaths due to lack of fuel.

Almightly Wrench by
The Wicked Flea (v.1.05) and
ptbptb (v.1.1)
Looking in Transcendence to repair your weapon, or any broken item in general? The Almightly Wrench is the answer. Due to its peculiar history, there are two versions of this mod floating around in Xelerus. I recommend the newer one by ptbptb as it introduces something the game does not: an extremely useful upgradeable skill. Domina powers are nothing like the ALMIGHTY WRENCH! Can Domina teach you how to repair devices? No, she only tells you in "some" way or fashion how to enhance devices. With the Almighty Wrench, you can cut your reliance on Domina and get to the Core on your own two hands- and one wrench.

Repair droids by
Bobby
Repair Droids adds two small droids that repair your ship and devices (device repair functionality only in the advanced droid). These droids will help you save a lot on repairing armor and are much better than patch spiders as they have the ability to hide in your cargo hold when hostiles are near. They can repair most armors in Transcendence, and are one of the best investments in the game.

NoDockNavBeacons by
PKodon
NoDockNavBeacons gets rid of the pesky docking ports on navigation beacons and turrets around Commonwealth stations. These beacons are especially troublesome in early game, where even a few seconds are the difference between life support and death by lack of fuel. This mod may save your savegame. Therefore, make sure to have it installed in your Extensions folder immediately.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Auto Refuel
By Prophet

How many times have you been in a firefight and had to stop to refuel? How many times has it irked you that in the great glory of the space exploration age that fuel tanks still have to be refuelled by hand?

Well, this simple but stellar mod by Prophet fixes that! It mods in a dockscreen that can be reached at the normal Refuel screen in your ship's main menu. You can set a variety of refuel options, and if you have the fuel in your hold the ship will refuel automaticcally.

The options are quiet diverse -- you can choose whether the refueller will be On or Off; you can then set Primary, Secondary and Emergency fuel sources, and set what percentage of a tank you want to be refuelled.

Conclusion: A true must-have mod for simplifying gameplay, Auto-Refuel is a mod that gives a lot, but doesn't break the gameplay in the least.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrikes Mines and Missiles
Get it here

The December Mod of the Month, Mines and Missiles is a mid to late-game addition to the NAMI Heavy Launcher and the NAMI Mine Launcher.

The Missiles
I must first say that all of the Heavy Missiles are very hard to find -- the Launcher itself, and the entire range of missiles is very hard to track down. You might find it laying around a CSC or Fortress, or sometimes at an Adventurer Outfitter in small amounts, but otherwise it is incredibly difficulty to find these missiles. For the purpose of this review, when I could not find the missiles, I used the GOD mod to create them.

The missiles are rather diverse and incredible fun - massive blast explosions never lose their thrill and some really cool effects exist in the "M" series of missiles, including one of my favourites being a kind of Ion-shockwave. Unfortunately, there are 5 missiles in the M series and if you have three or so different M types in the cargo hold, it is very hard to remember what each do. Considering their expense and rarity, it is rather annoying continually popping into my cargo hold to read the missiles' description.

Though fun to use when you get them, the "M" and "S" series of Shrike's Mines and Missiles feels more like a bizarre oddity, fun but shortlived. To make it a serious addition to the game and worthy of your credits, the mod might need some adjustment in the way of naming and occurence. The player often feels pushed to choose a Raisermesser Launcher purely because those missiles are in greater abundance.

The Mines
Whilst the missiles are a fun late-game addition, the mines are a solid mid-game addition that is worth the download purely for this. I couldn't fault the mines in any way -- during the middle of the game they are found in good amounts at the Black Market Shipyards and Black Market Stations; Adventurer Outfitters and Thor's Devices stock the more basic ones in ample amounts, while the Black Market and Military will give you the nastier ones.

There is something to be said for the sadistic thrill you get when deploying a bunch of mines and then leading that flock of Ares or Dwargs right into it...from the simple but explosive FatBoy to the fantastic Viper mines (which detonate and release an actual missile), through the radio-active Tainter and my personal favourite, the Cluster Mine, there is a bomb for you. Not all of them are static, though the majority are, as some of them, like the Vanilla Tracking Mine make a return, and the aforementioned Tainter requires a direct hit to activate.

The Mines component sufficiantly expands the Nami Mine Launcher's range to a point where I can highly reccomend its' use. The Mines are well-named, well-stocked and well worth your time - they do require a slightly more strategic use compared to the run-and-gun stile of missiles, but what they lack in speed or grace they make up in their devastating power and sheer joy. The only thing against them is the fact that due to post being proximity based, many are useless against stations, however if you drop a mine while flying over the station, you will deliver the damage and get the thrill of being a fly-over bomber.

Conclusion: While the late-game Missiles component might need some more work to be actually useful to most players, the Mines component is a must-have addition to your Transcendence game, and expands the Mine Launchers' range to a point where it becomes a deadly Launcher that is well worth your money.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

As I will abide by the rule of not reviewing your own mods...anyone care to review some of my mods?
Here they are!

I would *love* it if someone could review Starburn Autons (use the G.O.D. mod like I did with Shrike's M&M), or NeoRaisu (or any other mod really).

Hell's Trinity isn't finished yet, but you could still review that if you would like!

Thanks to whoever can review one of my mods! :mrgreen:
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Agauptera-class yacht by
Bobby
Ever tired of the mechanical hull that is your playership? Have you played Transcendence with the same old unbalanced, godmodded ships over and over again? Fear monotony no more! The Agauptera-class yacht by Bobby is a biomechanical ship with the ability to learn and amuse the player with its sharp quips about Transcendence. Its sleek hull, Biomechanical cortex and almost premonition-like ability to warn players of enemy ships is what makes this ship unique. You are not the only one to travel to the Core. Along with your trusty Agauptera as your steed, you will feel less lonely as a Pilgrim and be more equipped to take on the challenges of the Galaxy.
Download the Agauptera and fly like you've never flown today!
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.