What is point juno (the station)?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I always figured it was some sort of CW command post/fleet drydock, though that was just my assumption based on what it does in the dockscreens.

Also of interest was why only one of those stations is ever encountered.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I think it's mostly the fleet's "Capital". The admiral seems to be running the whole war, which is backed up by both the fact that it has a fleet of security and a CSC in the system with it, even though it got blown up. So just a base of operation for all the war effort.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I wouldn't so much say it would be the capital, as all the upper-ranking individuals would probably still be back in st.k's
But it does seem to be some kind of command post (and involved in the lamplighter experiments)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

As you say, it had the lamplighter prototype that was on the Europa, so maybe it is a kind of research station? Perhaps it isn't a command station after all, just a research station where they develop weapons. That would explain the security; they can't let the Ares get a hold of their new technology. A main research station would need an admiral on it to supervise the security. Also, in the code the station has very little hp. A command bunker would have loads of armor and shielding.
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'm pretty sure there's something somewhere about it being a major supply point for the commonwealth fleet.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drako Slyith wrote:As you say, it had the lamplighter prototype that was on the Europa, so maybe it is a kind of research station? Perhaps it isn't a command station after all, just a research station where they develop weapons. That would explain the security; they can't let the Ares get a hold of their new technology. A main research station would need an admiral on it to supervise the security. Also, in the code the station has very little hp. A command bunker would have loads of armor and shielding.
It could have also been the experimental research transport ship and would have heavy guard to protect transported secrets.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ttech wrote:
Drako Slyith wrote:As you say, it had the lamplighter prototype that was on the Europa, so maybe it is a kind of research station? Perhaps it isn't a command station after all, just a research station where they develop weapons. That would explain the security; they can't let the Ares get a hold of their new technology. A main research station would need an admiral on it to supervise the security. Also, in the code the station has very little hp. A command bunker would have loads of armor and shielding.
It could have also been the experimental research transport ship and would have heavy guard to protect transported secrets.
Do you mean the CSC Europa? If so, then that could be, but Point Juno still has very low shielding, not suitable to a main military command station without serious support, namely a CSC with full military capability. Of course, the CSC Could be an arms transport (In its cargo bay it has a lot of ammo) transporting the prototype from the research station to a safe location. Superfreighters are too weak to have such an important weapon, so they get a fully armed CSC.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I always assumed it a was some kind of central command base, that also served a secondary purpose -- for example, it's position is halfway (here or there) between the safety of St Kat's and the end of Ares control at Heretic. So, in that regard, it is probably a supply depot for most of the ships before heading out into the War -- also, note it's position inside a thick Space Dust cloud (for lack of a better name), so it can't be picked up very well on sensors.

But, considering it's involvement in the Lamplighter project, I would also hazard a guess that it was a research base, hidden out in the middle of nowhere to help research stuff; when the prototype was ready it was given to the CSC Europa in order to fight the Ares, but the CSC was ambushed (?) and destroyed.

that's just my guess -- also, the system and the station are called Point Juno, thus establishing Point Juno (teh system) as a key military place.

Or, y'know, George just thought it was a cool looking building and had a decent plot. -_- We could be reading into this too much! :D
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

ThePrivateer wrote: also, note it's position inside a thick Space Dust cloud (for lack of a better name), so it can't be picked up very well on sensors.
I believe it's called a nebula. :D

I agree that its position has strategic value as a supply dock, but if it were a command station shouldn't it have heavy armor? It only takes a few nukes to destroy it. Also, remember that the weapon on Europa is a prototype designed to "Test the antimatter containment chamber". If it is installed it tends to misfire, and acts like a damaged weapon.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:
ThePrivateer wrote: also, note it's position inside a thick Space Dust cloud (for lack of a better name), so it can't be picked up very well on sensors.
I believe it's called a nebula. :D

I agree that its position has strategic value as a supply dock, but if it were a command station shouldn't it have heavy armor? It only takes a few nukes to destroy it. Also, remember that the weapon on Europa is a prototype designed to "Test the antimatter containment chamber". If it is installed it tends to misfire, and acts like a damaged weapon.
Perhaps that's how the Europa got destroyed...? :?
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

If you talk to some of the CSC captains though they say they ares destroyed it and targeted the escape pods.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:If you talk to some of the CSC captains though they say they ares destroyed it and targeted the escape pods.
So, the Ares destroyed it...but in-game they are hovering over it protectively -- obviously they couldn't get the door open (because it's locked). But they didn't want to just pulverize the CSC becasue that would destroy the weapon. I think it went something like this:
The Ares burned overhead in perfect formation, heading furiously towards the dense, shifting nebuale ahead - the silver gleam of the CSC Europa was just vanishing into the purple smog.

"Strike Squad Beta-Twelve!" Came the command over all the Ares radios, "We've haven't got much time -- we have to take the CSC down, but be careful whatever you do! We need that weapon for the War!"

The Ares ships flashed into the nebula and then it was on, a chaotic frenzy of particle beams from the Centurions protecing the CSC and the rapid turbolaser pulses the massive ship was firing with impunity. The Ares Sandstorms took the brunt of the assault, getting shredded left, right and center, bursting into flames.

Then came the Cometfall missile ships and that evened up the playing field alongside the Tundra's that had come from the other side, trapping the CSC. For one brief moment, the Ares had the upper hand -- the thermonuclear explosions smashed into the Centurions, vaporizing them, but then the CSC rotated and unleashed it's furious new weapon - the Lamplighter.

Streams of antimatter tore through the Ares, even as more of the Orthodoxy arrived in the continued assault. Then suddenly, just when all seemed lost, a huge explosion tore through the CSC from the inside, rupturing the thick panels and sending a shockwave outwards, pummeling anything in it's way, vaporizing the remains of the battle - then the energy dissapated and all was silent.

The Ares ships docked with the remains and the Captain leading the assault hurried through the ruins with his vac-suit on, until he came to a thick, heavy door sealed tight -- sealed shut by a keypad that would accept no code that the Captain entered into it.

"No matter," he told the worried looking officers beside him, "we'll wait above the ship -- sooner or later the Commonwealth will need their weapon back. And we'll be waiting for them to open this door...mark my words."
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

DS, you seem to be falling back on the argument that PJ's easily destroyed far too much. It's also a mission point! You're supposed to save it from destruction. If it could survive heavy bombardment, then, well, there wouldn't be much of a mission. If there was a mission, it would need to involve a rather stronger ares force, one that would be much harder for the player to handle. Because gameplay trumps all, the thickness of PJ's armor really isn't much of an argument.

Even besides that, PJ is actually pretty well armored. Maybe not as strongly as an ares shipyard, but compared to non-military installations, it's got excellent defense. Yes, warhammers take it down easily, but warhammers take ALL stations down easily. They're the best weapon in transcendence against most stations.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I know I use that argument a lot. Yes, gameplay trumps all. But I'm using all the facts available, including that a CSC can take many times more damage than PJ. Also, nice story Privateer! :D Except that the lamplighter is a weapon just designed to be a test. I don't think they would have used a weapon not cleared to be safe. Would you start firing with a gun with a twisted barrel?
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote: Also, nice story Privateer! :D Except that the lamplighter is a weapon just designed to be a test. I don't think they would have used a weapon not cleared to be safe. Would you start firing with a gun with a twisted barrel?
Thanks Drako!

BTW, prior to the immediate events of that story, I imagine that there was a whole conspiracy over the thing - info was leaked and before anything could be done, the Ares knew the location of the Lamplighter, at Point Juno. In a race against time, the weapon was loaded onto the CSC Europa, a strong warship with protection, and the Europa set out to hide in the Nebulae, awaiting re-inforcements to wipe out the approaching Ares attack.

But there was still a mole somewhere -- the re-inforcements didn't come and the Ares were informed that the weapon had moved, thus allowing them to ambush the CSC Europa. During the fight, outnumbered and overwhelmed, the Europa's commander no doubt made the difficult choice, despite what the techies had told him about it being "only experiminetal", that he would install the weapon in the hopes of protecting the lives of those around him on the ship; but he was wrong, the weapon backfired and destroyed the ship, but incredibly came out unharmed.

-_- See there - good thing with fan fiction -- you can make whatever stuff up that you want! :D