What do YOU want in 1.07?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Val
Anarchist
Anarchist

Why would mines install a miner's cargo hold or other mining equipment for you, just to have more competitors? The player should first do at least one mission for them.
Yama
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: in the apprenticeship program at a Tinker station....

Val wrote:Why would mines install a miner's cargo hold or other mining equipment for you, just to have more competitors? The player should first do at least one mission for them.
Hi Val,

I believe that the things you are calling "mines" are in fact mining colonies: Stations where a group of miners live when not on board their ships, sell their ore, buy equipment, refit and resupply, etc.. Residents who don't engage in mining make their living providing these services. The colonies look like big rocks 'cause they're typically established in large mined-out, hollowed-out asteroids.
"A good ship should not look like a plumber's nightmare."
- Atarlost
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Drako Slyith wrote:I'd like to see this:
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence/trac/ticket/656
If i understand you correctly, what you are asking for (among other things) is for a way to add a (recurring) timer without it being tied to an object? Is that correct? If so, I have a few comments.

1) Why use the existing syntax? Since your proposal has nothing to do with objects, why have Obj in the name. I would suggest something like (sysAddTimerEvent id delay code) and (sysAddRecurringTimerEvent id interval code)

2) putting the conditional (the [OptionalCondition]) in the function call does not make sense. The part that controls whether the event should be run or not should go inside the event itself. So: (if [condition] [run event]).

3) Having a way of querying if a timer is running is a nice idea. I am curious though... what would you use it for? Usually when I need to know if I added a timer already I just set a flag somewhere, eg: (objSetData someObject "timerActive" true). Do you have a special use case that requires you to know the time remaining before the event triggers?

If the above were added, the syntax of sysCancelTimerEvent would need to change to (sysCancelTimerEvent [obj] id)

I can tell you that I have wanted this myself for very long, even to the point of building a framework that gave me these functions. However, once I had it, I realized that it was actually not much that I needed it, and that I could get along very well with the current timer functions. Can you outline the use case that requires this? I only ask this because knowing the reason behind can be a motivation to George to implement it. If you want to try this framework, I can clean it up and pass it on to you.
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A lot of the time when I really want this is when working with overlays and especially lambda functions (allowing the code to run inside the timer) I also just thought that not having them tied to an object would be nice for things like creating a station in a system every few minutes, without having to make an event handler.

As for the check to see if a timer is running, really there is not a need for it, but it would be nice to not have to keep track of which object has which data.

Most of it is just streamlining and shortcuts, the main part that I want is running code inside the timer.

I tried building a lambda function to do this, but it would still require it to be run in an onUpdate or triggered by a timer, so it is pointless. If you managed to work around this, I would love to see the framework.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Drako Slyith wrote: I tried building a lambda function to do this, but it would still require it to be run in an onUpdate or triggered by a timer, so it is pointless. If you managed to work around this, I would love to see the framework.
So, i cleaned it up a bit and posted it here:
http://drop.alterecco.net/transcendence ... rk.xml.txt

It is not as fine grained as the vanilla events. Right now timers are checked every 30 ticks. That means, that the fastest timer you can make is run every 30 ticks. You can make them in any increment of this value (so, you can make a 60 tick timer). The code is pretty fast, so this value can most likely be cranked up a good bit (up to a resolution of 5 ticks probably). It provides 3 new functions for adding events: ef/add-timer, ef/add-recurring-timer and ef/cancel-timer. These functions are pretty straightforward, but they are explained in the top of the mod, so take a look there.

The simplest is:

Code: Select all

(ef/add-timer 5 (plyMessage gPlayer "simple timer!"))
(ef/add-recurring-timer 10 (block nil [whatever you want to do]))
Support for other events, such as ef/on-system-created and ef/on-player-entered-system, etc... could be added in quite easily.

Let me know if you find it useful, and I might end up posting it on xelerus (maybe make it part of DSF)
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Josep Maria
Anarchist
Anarchist

Greetings!

First of all... thanks for this REALLY and impressive videogame. Really, thanks.

Long time ago I was searching for a space game. But not the typical "you gather resources and build ships improving them". I love roleplaygames, simulators, and space games... my friend, you gathered them 3 in 1 XD. SO thank you so much.

Well my proposal it's the next one.

Probably someone have told this you before but, its posible to add some kind of "skill system" and a "craft system" too?

Skill system like the typical XP that you can spend to improve skills like "Rapid Shot I: Your fire it's increased in a 0,5%" or "Barter I: You have a discount on all your puchases of a 2-5%".

Also, some kind of "Reputation system" will be thank. (Lilke the one used in SWG)

I almost forgot! And also some kind of "Identification system" (probably in rare or big space stations) to identify items with "strange or unknown" description. (I hate to loose mu shields mods XD)

Again, thanks for this game and good luck!
Be brave and listen to your heart.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'd like to see the ability to jump from stargate to stargate in the same system, so you can jump across the system. (thought about this while working on sandbox)
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Drako Slyith wrote:I'd like to see the ability to jump from stargate to stargate in the same system, so you can jump across the system. (thought about this while working on sandbox)
WARNING!< WARNING! , Opinion on board!
godmod much? LOL the point of flying to the gates is the experience : I am not a fan of stk ( which is why I took it down ) but I still rather fly through it then just jump it. I have the navigation feature that lets me do that, but flying a system is where you see what you can Mod, you see something you think should be improved or whatever......just jumping excludes the relevant details that gave you the ideas you should mod in the first place.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Re: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Tinker Gatherin
but there is a point here for a feature request as well:

the pilot was going to attempt to correct the offense......therefore if it IS AN OFFENSE : it is part of the crimes code, so therefore there should have been an opening for the player to pay a fine ; go to jail ; or get a warning just as with the the rest of the crimes :
simply banning the pilot from a station for a stray shot is sort of petty and not very .....democratic as in democracy? is that used right??

--------
perhaps a crime code that we can access and edit with more clarity as to what it can or might do if we monkey with it : I am sure changing a setting in over write is nice but it could create a cascade of issues : so IF without going godmod, there was an easier way to edit the codes for at least a extension to create a less hostile future for a player with better intentions then destroying a station.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That sounds great. I would love to see enhancements be able to confer omnidirectional and linkedFire attributes.
and +Launcher enhancement (makes a weapon installable to the launcher slot instead of the normal one), please please :D if it's not too much hassle of course

other enhancements I can think are enhancements that gives/change a weapon damage attribute like momentum, shield, WMD, mining, blinding, radiation, EMP, device, deviceDisrupt, disintegrate, shatter.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

digdug wrote:

That sounds great. I would love to see enhancements be able to confer omnidirectional and linkedFire attributes.
and +Launcher enhancement (makes a weapon installable to the launcher slot instead of the normal one), please please :D if it's not too much hassle of course

other enhancements I can think are enhancements that gives/change a weapon damage attribute like momentum, shield, WMD, mining, blinding, radiation, EMP, device, deviceDisrupt, disintegrate, shatter.

How about +Omni as well so a weapon can become omni.
Josep Maria
Anarchist
Anarchist

Greetings!

Here it goes another idea.

It's possible to add some type of "Fortress System". I mean like in Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Night or Spell Force that you have a Castle, Town or an entire map that you can improve doing quests, spending money or using special items.

A map/area that you can improve would be really nice.

Thanks and take care!
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'm working on something similar for Sandbox. You purchase an empty system, and then pay to build a capital station, and from there you can build several other stations such as trade posts and shipyards. You can build ships and take over other systems, so basically you build an empire.
Josep Maria
Anarchist
Anarchist

That would be incredible!

I have no idea about programming but if I can help you with some ideas, it will be a pleasure ;)

Take care!