View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Transcendence Port to Linux and Mac 
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Location: Scouting the borders of sanity (there's a lovely view of the abyss).
Hmm. How well does it run in Wine currently? I'm headed for a conversion to ubuntu, but transcendence is really the sticking point.....I'm not converting unless I can get it to work properly. ;)

Shrike's Allegedly Superior Sounds: New weapon sounds for the discerning gentleperson or other sapient being Currently in alpha, and welcoming feedback!

"By the time you read this document, the average home computer might be a 700MHz GazillaComp 2000 with 58 gigabytes of memory." -SimSafari ReadMe file (Circa 1998). First noticed (by me) in 2014.

*It's the only gender-neutral pronoun I can reasonably expect myself to remember. Nothing like forgetting your own pronoun to get you down, hilarious though it is the first time.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I run it in wine with no issues... under a few installs i have had some minor graphics issues, but nothing that makes the game unplayable (some weird artifacts in DockScreen backgrounds, and slight pixelation around explosions).

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:16 pm
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I run it in wine with no issues... under a few installs i have had some minor graphics issues, but nothing that makes the game unplayable (some weird artifacts in DockScreen backgrounds, and slight pixelation around explosions).

Sounds good. Looks like I can finally KILL THIS EVIL FILTHY STINKING EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL PIECE OF WHEELBARROW INFESTED, SQUIRREL-LOVING VISTA.....*cough*.....once and for all.

Wait, squirrel-loving? That's a new one for me....

Shrike's Allegedly Superior Sounds: New weapon sounds for the discerning gentleperson or other sapient being Currently in alpha, and welcoming feedback!

"By the time you read this document, the average home computer might be a 700MHz GazillaComp 2000 with 58 gigabytes of memory." -SimSafari ReadMe file (Circa 1998). First noticed (by me) in 2014.

*It's the only gender-neutral pronoun I can reasonably expect myself to remember. Nothing like forgetting your own pronoun to get you down, hilarious though it is the first time.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Wait, squirrel-loving? That's a new one for me....

Bring on some penguin lovin ^^

Have fun with the conversion... feel free to drop by IRC and ask if you have any issues or questions.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:50 pm
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Post Re: Transcendence Port to Linux and Mac
Can i ask when the link is gonna be updated? My friend is desperate to play this game and only has mac.

Katami: can you tell me a good joke
[20:36] <Katami> THIS IS A STORY ABOUT A GUY NAMED Chase123,ONE DAY HE DIED.THE END

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 pm
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

atm it is only being ported to linux, no mac yet, sry
and gambit- is busy with rl stuff so no update for linux either

"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The game runs really well under wine, so it should be possible to get it running on a mac

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

When I run Transcendence using Wine, the sound effects don't work properly, unless some Windows DLLs are loaded. Transcendence March doesn't play at all. Also, the game runs slow, unless it is windowed, and X was started in 16-bit color. (This computer setup is not very powerful.) I also get some wrong colors in explosions and other places when X is running with a different color depth.

Transcendence in the Wine AppDB

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 pm
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'd honestly recommend making a dual boot windows(small)/ubuntu(large) partition system, because there's plenty of stuff you can only do on windows still, sadly. That way if say you're running a windows game, then you can boot up in windows, while doing pretty much everything else in Ubuntu.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 pm
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I genuinely wish I'd done that...but I'm not letting Vista back on my system, and that's the only thing I've got a license for right now. Might try Windows 8 when it comes out.

That said....Wine runs T *fairly* well without messing with it. Explosions are a problem..I believe it's the transparencies. Wrecks and destroyed stations also have...issues. And the aforementioned sound issues. However...apart from a slightly annoying loading time (whihc could be the mods I use), it runs reasonably quickly.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Gambit said I think this year that he might get back to work on it in the end of this year, but that might have been last year.

Image <-- IRC Access Point!
73's

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Miner
Miner

Woe is me. Most of my favourite games are on the mac side of my computer. Transcendence is still relegated to the xp vm, and it doesnt deserve to be there :D

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:46 pm
Anarchist
Anarchist

Location: Traveling the stars in a Ronin ship drinking Red Nubla!
*sigh* yes i share in your misery, however i am wondering how to actually START it, i'm running ubuntu 11.04 or is it 10.04... ... Either way, help a nooblet out yes?

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:55 am
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

There is a very nice thread on wine here http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... ce_on_wine
It should be even easier on ubuntu. you will find wine in your standard repositories

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 am
Anarchist
Anarchist

Location: Traveling the stars in a Ronin ship drinking Red Nubla!
No... not the wine... I've ran Trans through wine, i mean the port. How do you run the port... or is the port ran THROUGH wine????

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next