1.08b

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well, looking at CTranscendenceModel.cpp lines 1006+ the below check does not make sense to me if "registered games" are not even on the list of available saved games.

Code: Select all

if (m_GameFile.IsRegistered() && !strEquals(m_GameFile.GetUsername(), sSignedInUsername))
		{
		*retsError = strPatternSubst(CONSTLIT("Save file %s may only be opened by %s."), sFilespec, m_GameFile.GetUsername());
		m_GameFile.Close();
		return ERR_FAIL;
		}

//	If this is a registered game and we're not signed in with that player
	//	then we can't continue.
From that bit of code I get the idea that the player should not be signed in if he/she wants to be able to play that game while offline too, or am I missing something here?

I dont think there should be restrictions like being signed in or even having an active internet connection: Transcendence resides on an usb flash drive I carry around with me. And Im used to be able to play a game of Transcendence with no internet connection on my laptop during a train ride, for example...
Having access to the saved game's file should be enough for a user to just play the game. That I wont be able to submit a highscore "to the cloud" with no internet connection is somewhat obvious to me. (However Im looking forward to be able to submit cached high scores - which is a really needed feature).
The current state of implementation pretty much contradicts my personal use case ...
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Also commonwealth militia missions are not counted correctly:

I completed exactly one in St. Katherines, but that shows up as "0" in the highscores.
Attachments
CFG-1779.7z
commonwealth militia successful mission count is wrong
(180.87 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Probably a typo: In CommonwealthMilitia.xml lines 1526 to 1544 the code handles promotions to Lieutenant, Major and Colonel. The comments in that block talk about apprentice, journeyman and master.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Im having another issue with loading saved games:
I created an environment (copy of the game so extensions dont get in the way) to play with mods. However Im surprised to see that Transcendence even refuses to even list any savegame thats there - and there are two atm. Created right in SE.

Im having an active and working internet connection, but regardless whether Im signed in or not Trans just tells me that there are no saved games to load.

Im speculating if this could be an issue with the path the games resides in:

D:\games\Transcendence\newMining
Im attaching all files except the game itself here.

EDIT:
I checked the shortcut I use to start Trans and its pointing to the right executable.
Also this is not an issue with stuff inside the extensions folder. I renamed it and there are still no savegames listed.
Attachments
no_games.7z
no savegames available, but there are two. Add game files to try.
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Savegames are supposed to be in the same folder as the executable, and sometimes being in the base Trans folder causes a messup. Move it completely out of your base trans folder and into one completely separate, saves with the exe, and you should see it listing them just fine.

reason for answer: Working through this problem myself and getting it to work on my computer, as well as Dropbox.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The savegames are in the same folder the following files are in:
  • Transcendence.exe
  • Transcendence.tdb
  • TranscendenceMarch.mp3
I did not include them to save space.

I then created the extensions folder and copied my stuff in. Also renamed it afterwards which did not have an effect.

However I found that the "working directory" in the shortcut was set to my other Transcendence folder. Fixing that did not have any effect however.

I re-created the shortcut, which did not change anything.

I can also launch Trans. via Transcendence.exe - with no shortcut - which does the same.

Also as a last attempt I copied the whole folder somewhere, where no other Transcendence folder is in the same directory tree. It doesnt work.

When trying to load a game I dont see any of
  • CFG-1014.sav
  • CFG-8729.sav
which are in the exact same folder.

EDIT: However I can create a new game which does get listed and which Im able to load .... Does make testing stuff harder if I need to set up a new game every time.

EDIT: To make this more interesting: I created a couple of savegames with that set up and only two of them show up in the load savegame screen - the 1321 and 3547. Also Trans seems to crash a lot when trying to create a new game. I have no useful log message in Debug.log

EDIT: The crashes were caused by a faulty extension I was editing. Still the mystery why most savegames dont show up remains. I took care to sign out before creating these game so I would be able to load them when offline too.
Attachments
savegame test.7z
(42.38 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I recently found that 1.08b might produce defective savegames: Ticket 811

I dont know if this is related to ticket 778 - if its an issue with scripting and "ship AIs".
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

another one with 1.08b:

Attacked a group of three Deimos destroyers with a squadron of Britannica wingmen. I think I was hit by their - whats the name? - fusion howitzer and killed.

04/17/2012 18:48:57	Start logging session
04/17/2012 18:48:58	Transcendence 1.08b
04/17/2012 18:49:05	Loaded game file version: 1000802
04/17/2012 19:40:28	Loaded game file version: 1000802
04/17/2012 20:08:47	Unable to continue due to program error.

program state: OnAnimate
program state: updating object motion
obj class: CMissile
obj name: thermo damage
obj pointer: 132831f8
m_pDesc: 1720327/0
m_Source: none
m_pHit: 132fd110 Deimos-class destroyer (CShip)
m_iHitDir: -1
m_pTarget: 132fdf68 Deimos-class destroyer (CShip)
m_iDestiny: 266
m_iTick: 22
m_iLifeLeft: 98
m_pExhaust: none
game state: destroyed

Please contact [email protected] with a copy of Debug.log and your save file. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

04/17/2012 20:09:07	End logging session
Well, another game with no highscore entry, but a crash.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Before I forget: A Taikon venturer had a level VII alien shield for sale. It turned out to be an iocrym veil (level IX). The level shown was incorrect.

Another note: When doing CSC missions, autons and other "non-mission" wingmen should not respond to (squadron) orders - I accidently ordered my mule autons, Rama, Volkov to attack 3 Deimos destroyers when crashing (previous post) - which is not what you want to try ...
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The new record for deep space exploration goes to ... Sung ...

Ticket 837
slaver far out scaled.png
slaver far out scaled.png (112.83 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
I guess "distance" must be at least 32 bits integer then, right? ;)

Really time for 1.08c ...
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Not sure if it's 32 bit or more I'm pushing 26,813,763,287 and still going. Of course had to add an FTL drive and set up a targeting station (travel agency station) for direction but it's working. Just wish targeting that far out would be easier.
Starting the travel is a little slow but once the overall grid map starts lapping itself the numbers start to add up. Dropping out of warp is easy. Just disable the drive and thrust.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Vachtra wrote:Not sure if it's 32 bit or more I'm pushing 26,813,763,287 and still going. Of course had to add an FTL drive and set up a targeting station (travel agency station) for direction but it's working. Just wish targeting that far out would be easier.
Starting the travel is a little slow but once the overall grid map starts lapping itself the numbers start to add up. Dropping out of warp is easy. Just disable the drive and thrust.
Yeah, we had a deep-space exploration contest a year or two ago. After a while, the engine starts to break down from overflowing values. It gets kinda pretty...although there's a mild seizure danger involved.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

That's good to know. I was hoping it wasn't my fault. That makes sense since it happens around the 32 bit limit.
I was just pushing onwards hoping it would go away eventually.
Is that something that can be changed in future versions? Maybe a 128 bit?

Edit: A little further testing shows it's a solar thing. Once you get too far from a star the flashy lights start.
I put a star out around where it usually happens and voila! No flahsies until 43000000, give or take... Should just chalk it up to cosmic winds outside the solar system. If two systems are far enough away you have starry night, chaos and back to starry night. Of course if you don't know exactly where the star is then you're still flying blind.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
mi64
Anarchist
Anarchist

Dear george,
I have been playing this game since 2 years & Thank you very much for such a nice game.

Regards
Milind
mi64
callsignthumper
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hi - first time poster - loving the game, but ran into a problem last night that has me stumped - I was in Eta Ceti and the game itself froze completely. The video shows no action whatsoever, even though my ship is chasing down a luminous drone near a commonwealth station. Also the game does not seem to allow any keyboard inputs. Its not the computer, as that let me into and out of the game, and can run other programs with 1.08b suspended.

So has anyone else encountered this? I started a new game using the same ship type (Defender class Destroyer), and so far its working as it should.

Any ideas?

Thanks (and thanks for a great game George - even if it is digital crack)!

-SAC