RPC's Mega Permadeath challenge

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Actually, let me update the zip file later today so that it reflects the change from V4 to V5.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, first post updated with new extensions folder (the one that I'm using) for 1.08b. Happy hunting! ;)
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

It's not easy. I've died a few dozen times now. The few times that I've made it out past St. Kats and into the beyond I've been shattered by some bastard pilgrim who's hanging out near a ringer station when an Ares ship happens to fly by. Seriously, that's happened at least three times now.

At this point I just fly straight to St. Kats and see if I can poach some Korolov shipping containers from unfortunate derelicts that have been caught by pirates. That gets me a few thousand credits to get some good armour and a weapon or two which will carry me to the midgame, but then you're just minding your own business and out of the blue you get shattered. I still haven't found any armour or shield combo that'll take a shatter and keep going, I'm not sure if such a thing even exists. Maybe heavy Iocrym armour, but I've only ever found that once.

Still trying though.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

No item in the game gives shatter immunity. Only ships exceeding a mass threshold have immunity to shatter. In the case of the Shatter power, only a select few very heavy ships are immune to the shatter effect. Sadly, none of the three playerships are immune. Shatter will instakill the player if armor takes damage.

There is no way I know of to let modders give shatter-immune property to items. Perhaps worthy of a ticket?
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shatter has great potential to make cool-looking weapons.....but without immunities it's not so good. Would be nice if there was resistance (or armor with more mass having more resistance, rather than running off the mass of the ship mounting said armor), but having a shatter weapon always attempt to apply a current (ship mass based) shatter effect when it kills the target. Right now it's an awesome effect...but just a bit too powerful.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Actually, I've been shattered lots of times during my runs D:
@Neuromancer:
That is a very, very good strategy. I'm going to see if I can do it in a Zephyr Enforcer.

As for shatter, I do recall some times when you're far away enough the shield stops the shatter effect from happening. I don't know about you, but I distinctly remember hitting a friendly Sung pilgrim that went directly on top of my ship then shattered me. I think what we need is to find some distance, and maybe order an Advanced LRS to ID pilgrims? (I think I have the ADVLRS in the extensions folder, not sure)
I could post the video if you want. (yes, I have video of it ;) )
matix
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think I'm going to attempt this today :wink: wish me luck! :twisted:
Matix's Revolutionary Repair Items! Get it here !
Stronger Centauri! Download it here
Matix's Weapon Pack!: Find it here!
Preview: Momentum Cannons! Get it here!

IRC (Love it! :D):
[10:54] * matix pokes Guest33555
[10:55] * matix thinks its dead....
[10:55] * Katami shoots Guest33555 in the foot
[10:55] <matix> O.o
[10:55] <Hatsya> don't worry, it's a water gun
mistere
Miner
Miner

Holy crap!

You've got 275MB of extensions!?

I was playing with a total of 80MB in my Transcendence folder!
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it's also a bit outdated and doesn't have the latest version of PSD and WE5 as well as Planet Parallax.
Will update soon.
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

Thanks to the tip that shatter works if any damage at all is done to armour I've stopped using Nanite shields and meteorsteel based armours. The Wing-X and Wing-Z shields work much better, especially with a Heavy Bussard Assembly which basically never runs out of reactor mass.

I've also come to the conclusion that the SDW corporate weapons labs are totally broken. I now have a level X multitarget Ion Cannon that does 35 x 5 damage unenhanced and a launcher mounted plasma cannon that does 307 x 5 damage unenhanced. One shot from the latter seems to kill basically anything. Once I'm tired of wandering I'll try heretic and see if I can manage this without dying.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

O.o how did you get those?!

Did you craft them? Where did you get the modules?

And yeah, I'll look for the Wing-something shields. :3
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

Crafted at an SDW Corporate Weapons Lab. I needed 1 Level X weapon module, 1 rotating multi target mount module, 1 wall firing module, and 5 ion or plasma damage modules. Each SDW Lab has a bunch of modules for sale so you just have to land at each Lab you find and get a bit lucky. All told each weapon ran me about 75,000 credits.

The Wing-something shields have a se ability that lets them automatically recharge with by burning extra reactor mass, so they never really go down. I'm not sure if all of them have this ability, but I know at least two of them do.

The plasma cannon I made turned out to be a bad idea though. I accidentally one-shotted a friendly station and now I have Corporate Enforcers coming after me. I don't think I'll be able to land at a commonwealth station for the rest of this game.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Neuromancer wrote:Crafted at an SDW Corporate Weapons Lab. I needed 1 Level X weapon module, 1 rotating multi target mount module, 1 wall firing module, and 5 ion or plasma damage modules. Each SDW Lab has a bunch of modules for sale so you just have to land at each Lab you find and get a bit lucky. All told each weapon ran me about 75,000 credits.

The Wing-something shields have a se ability that lets them automatically recharge with by burning extra reactor mass, so they never really go down. I'm not sure if all of them have this ability, but I know at least two of them do.

The plasma cannon I made turned out to be a bad idea though. I accidentally one-shotted a friendly station and now I have Corporate Enforcers coming after me. I don't think I'll be able to land at a commonwealth station for the rest of this game.

You won't, but you have a plasma cannon that can one-shot *anything. You probably don't need 'em if you can horde armor repair stuff when you find it. And use ringer shipyards.

*almost
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

It would be nice if there was some way to pay off your debt to society after you destroy a station accidentally.

A large fine would be one way, or a confiscation of your ship and all modifications, leaving you to buy a new ship with your remaining cash.

Another idea would be to stick the player in the equivalent of a labour camp, where the player is put into a Borer mining ship and is forbidden from leaving the system until they've mined 500 Ore. Once you've mined your Ore and earned your freedom you'd be given a small amount of money and a second chance on the outside.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, added that to the TODO list right after infinite asteroids and solar parallax :D