solar panel array's

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

I think that solar panel array's should be external devices and should there be more powerful versions of them :roll:
what is your opinion?
Physics hurts! Especially when she's in a bad mood.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Solar panel array is too slow to work on any reactor more powerful than 25MW. Patch spider is a higher level version of the patcher arm, but the solar panel array has no higher level device equivalent.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

A higher level solar panel array would be nice.
I once saw an armor (not sure if it was a mod, or what) called terrata armor supposeldy made by the teratons and it's like a level x combo version of both solar armor and organic armor.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

PM wrote:Solar panel array is too slow to work on any reactor more powerful than 25MW. Patch spider is a higher level version of the patcher arm, but the solar panel array has no higher level device equivalent.
I agree, there should be an a equivalent device with a higher level, for reactors with more than 25 MW the Solar panel array takes forever. :roll:

And what about solar panel array's become external devices? :?:
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

For armor repair devices, patcher arm is internal, and patch spider is external. If this was extended to solar panels, the solar array would be internal as it is, and the higher level upgrade would be external.

As for the array being external, if it was like the patch spider, it would take no slots, but it would be vulnerable to damage if ship takes a hit. Solar arrays can stack, but only the EI500 can spare the slots to install more than one. Since solar array is too slow to be useful past the first system or two, I do not care either way. I usually get a full set of solar armor and keep it on my ship for most of the game, and rely on the most powerful shield I can get for defense.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Solar panels don't need a better version, they just need to be better. Solar panels are currently only really worth it if you engage in sun sitting (or sitting next to a defended station near a sun). Since optimal solar panel use generally involves alt+tabbing out of the game anyways making them better won't make them overpowered early on as long as the improvement doesn't involve lifting the distance limit.

Solar panels are okay early game if you run a low power strategy (no enhancers, emphasizing armor, using higher regen shields and keeping them down when not in a fight and using regenerating armor or a patcher arm since those also promote sun sitting). Mid game the reactors get bigger, but if you persist with a low power strategy they can still work if you're willing to resort to degenerate gameplay. If you have a good wingman (for sicking on barbaries and dwarg masters) and radiation immune armor or armor that is both EMP and radiation immune if you don't have a good wingman.

I think in addition to much faster energy gathering to avoid sun sitting the solar panel strategy could do with dropping the standby power on low regen shields so they're less power hungry. They already consume more fuel regenerating because they take longer to regenerate the same number of lost HP, but the standby power use on something you can't activate at need is a killer.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

Atarlost wrote:Solar panels don't need a better version, they just need to be better. (...)
(...)
I think in addition to much faster energy gathering to avoid sun sitting the solar panel strategy could do with dropping the standby power on low regen shields so they're less power hungry.
I agree, shields with less regeneration should have a lower standby power or even the power the in general. :)

Well it seems that everyone thinks Solar panels could use some improvements. :roll:

Which option would you choose?
And which changes would be necessary?

1- Add some better (higher level) versions, or even some external versions of it. (specify)

2- Improve or change existing ones .

3- Leave the Solar panels as they are.

4- Any other solution
Cyclone
Anarchist
Anarchist

Sorry if my post too far from the topic. I just extend the topic idea :)

IMO, solar panel array should be with solar energy extractor device (I mean solar energy extractor device is self-device, It can be installed before/after solar panel array installed). ex, while the player refuel his ship near sunlight, the extractor can produce one He3 fuels every 10 sec.

I imagine more than this, did anybody know KERS (The technology that used by F1)? Yeah, Kinetic energy can be resulted when the vehicle brakes. If KERS would be adapted in Transcendence Ship, when every player brakes his ship, it refuel reactor without any fuels.

I hope all of this can be implemented :)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Cyclone wrote:I imagine more than this, did anybody know KERS (The technology that used by F1)? Yeah, Kinetic energy can be resulted when the vehicle brakes. If KERS would be adapted in Transcendence Ship, when every player brakes his ship, it refuel reactor without any fuels.
Recovering energy from braking requires frictional braking. There is no friction in space. The only way to stop is to expend more energy thrusting opposite your motion vector. Not only can this not be implemented in the game at present, it should not be implemented when the engine comes to support events for every keystroke. (unless you're using the engine for a tank game or somesuch)
Literally is the new Figuratively
Cyclone
Anarchist
Anarchist

Atarlost wrote:
Cyclone wrote:I imagine more than this, did anybody know KERS (The technology that used by F1)? Yeah, Kinetic energy can be resulted when the vehicle brakes. If KERS would be adapted in Transcendence Ship, when every player brakes his ship, it refuel reactor without any fuels.
Recovering energy from braking requires frictional braking. There is no friction in space. The only way to stop is to expend more energy thrusting opposite your motion vector. Not only can this not be implemented in the game at present, it should not be implemented when the engine comes to support events for every keystroke. (unless you're using the engine for a tank game or somesuch)
Yeah, you right. I know this but i didn't realize about this. Brake can be also presented in the game by shot fusion reaction to in front of ship.