Homeworld-style mothership mod feasibility study

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
newtonianfreak666
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hey... big guys, listen up... i think i might have an idea for the multiple launchers thingy!!! In the PSD mod, PM converts the raisermesser launcher used in the corporate cruiser into a raisermesser cannon. Now, this thing behaves like a weapon (can be changed by pressing 'w' and not 'tab') but it still fires the gotha-10 missile and i could install the NAMI launcher also. So, if PM could do the coding for the other standard launchers as well, I think it might do the job. But, i still have no idea how to use the other kind of missiles in the same weapon. Perhaps, giving the weapon a few of the characteristics of a launcher might do something. eg. same weap, fires diff. kinds of projectiles. Like, NAMI launcher renamed as NAMI projectile cannon, fires Stilleto, and pressing 'w' switches it to another missile. What do you guys say? Can it be possible? Not reqd. for the MS though. As Autohummer pointed out, we could manufacture our own ammo. So, melt the other missiles/grenades etc. and create your own missiles. But, as a different mod???

Another thing, If we create ammo, then for a thermonuclear missile like the XM900, we'll need ores of Uranium and Tanks of Hydrogen. Am i being too realistic?

Atarlost wrote:
I would suggest a high top speed but low thrust to mass ratio. That will make intrasystem transit relatively fast, but not be capable of rapid vector changes.
Yeah, that's what i suggested earlier. In all sci-fi stuff, big ships have big engines, big thrusters, higher speeds and slow acceleration than the small gunships. FTL/hyperspace drives are more powerful and faster in the big ones than the smaller ones. That's how it should be. I did the same with my CSC, Aquila, ICS etc. They now have the speed of a windslaver and the acceleration of a freighter. Actually feels good to play. Feels ummm... REAL!!! 8-)
I propose... speed- .35c, thrust, 0.8; maneuverability- 1.5... With these specs, it'd take quite sometime for the MS to reach its fullspeed but once it does, it'll be able to outrun any other ship in the game(Just in case you're havin a bad day). Maneuverability's worse than a gaian processor... 360degree turrets are absolutely necessary. And 1 more thing, its damn hard to control this thing in these specs. The ship just keeps on orbiting the station i wanna dock with and after about 20 to 30 passes, i'm sometimes able to dock. So, Handling this ship is worse than @#$! while it's top speed's pretty cool.

PM wrote:
You need to overwrite or otherwise do something about the standard inertialess drive. It lets any ship, even massive ships like CSCs, stop and go easily; and with .25c (.28c if enhanced), the ship can chase down many other ships.

If that is done, all inertialess drives must be eliminated because they provide instant stop-and-go. Top speed used is the greater of the ship's default drive or the installed engine drive.
Yeah, the inertialess drive allows such kind of insane travelling, but first thing, i've completed the game like about 30 times till now and i've managed to find it only 2 times (i might be the unluckiest guy on the planet or you tell me!). This thing is insanely rare. So, it'd not affect the game so much. Secondly, i think it should be left for the user to decide whether or not he likes to play the game with a little bit of physics realism or just alien concept. You find it, its upto you if you wanna use it or not. Everybody knows the concept of inertialess drive is just a myth. If they wanna have some fun, i believe they should have it. But, if you guys want to be strict, you can overwrite it. And besides, it's actually a curse for some ships (preferably fast ones with small reactors) since the player has to keep his thrusters on as long as he wants to move, which is not the best way to conserve fuel. You guys understand what i mean, perhaps experienced it firsthand...

@pip:
That's exactly what i was talkin about. But, given the mass of this thing(50000 ton cargohold +ship mass!!!) i don't think anything other than the inertialess drive is gonna make any significant difference to the movement of this ship.

TVR:
Dude!!! That's a lot of Physics for me. But, i like your Drag racer catchline. That's exactly what big ships actually are- Super speed, guns, armor and size with @#$!-ass turning and acceleration!!! Agree??? Hey, check out the specs i proposed earlier(speed, thrust, maneuverability), they should be fine for a big ship. What do you say???

PM wrote:
ICX devices are stackable, normally. They also use non-device slots by default, but can be redefined to use a weapon slot instead.
I tried installing multiple ICX on my CSC but there wasn't any noticeable change in the rate of fire. Also, the fact that i installed 4 ICX, but at any given time they would engage only a single projectile. I have 3 questions-
1) Can the ICX be made to engage multiple targets simultaneously?
2) Can it be made to engage ships?
3) Can it be changed to another damage type like particle, positron, nano etc.? This feature would be very helpful in systems after Heretic, where we might constantly have to battle out the Iocrym.
Or maybe create a new set of ICX turrets? 360 degree, nano, 6 shots/sec, hp- 25, multitarget capability(multiple turrets, each one has its own target), range- 10 lightsecs, Name- Longrange interceptor, Availability- On learning about the Iocrym's intentions, the CW decides to create some pretty hi-tech military stuff. Prototype design, blueprint as well as main turret available only after Heretic. Anyone like this? Might be cool...

@Autohummer:
Hey dude, you said the design was from HW, named Banana. I didn't think it'd actually look like a banana!!! I know, a lot of people love this ship but i believe, something like a CSC design looks like it's made on earth. BTW, your Tabinka and Unyeilding Mk VII designs were also cool, an enlarged version of them would look like a total bad-assed MS. Hey, i got an idea... Take a Tabinka mark V and instead of 2 wings put in 4 in an X pattern. Much like putting 2 mark V's at right angles, crisscross axially. Ship flies in an X pattern and not +. For linkslots, put 1 linkslot each in the front and centre of the long frontpart, and 1 linkslot at the end of each wing(All 360degree turrets). Primary weap slot would be in the lower mid section of the ship towards the rear. Hangar bay's in the bottomside of the ship while factory bay's all the way along the long frontpart. Weap's and other stuff are kept in those monstrous wings(4 of 'em to be precise) while the research bay's in the mid/rear bulk part. I'm just askin man, i'm not sayin anythin...

BTW, you're opting for multiple cargoholds... Is it possible??? Generally, my cargo expansion gets replaced when i try to install a new hold, much like the multiple launcher problem...

1 other thing, if we're researching a level 2 armor and we happen to come across an undamaged segment of level 6 armor of the same material, all armors upto level 5 for that material would be automatically researched in the same research. e.g. If we're researching a level 2 plasteel armor like light plasteel armor and we happen to come across an undamaged segment of level 6 armor (advanced plasteel armor), all plasteel armors upto level 5 would be automatically researched in the same research time. For researching level 6 armor, we'll need extra segments of that armor.

I haven't used a mnemonic cube or a CPU on my ship until absolutely necessary for a mission till now and so i don't know how they work. If its a 1 cube 1 shot thingy, we're gonna need a new usables item screen. All those things in the cargo waiting to be used, when we press the U button, it'll be ages before we can find the right thing to use. How would it be if the cyber defence capabilities were made infinite for this ship? eg. Ship completes research on Anti-shield cyberattack, uses it. Now, any hostile ship near the MS would automatically have shields down. similarly, MS completes research on EMP field, Uses it. Any hostile craft without EMP protect gets EMP disabled. Needless to say, these Cyber researches would take very long to be completed but can be sped up by using mnemonic cubes. Also, if this is the case, i would suggest the MS not be given the ability to create her own cubes. Anyone like this idea?

About the weapon research thing... Same weapon, higher level? Akan 600 researched, Akan 30 research automatically completed. similarly, M5 researched, M2 done automatically. What do you say?

Ship fleet limit doesn't sound too fun. But, its another thing that a guy creates a whole army of ships but ships won't be that cheap. So, plz don't put a limit on the no. of ships in your fleet. Just a generel request. Plzzzzzzzzzzz...

Love to hear more suggestions...
So you're saying Katami trained you???
Well, I trained Katami.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

newtonianfreak666 wrote:Hey... big guys, listen up... i think i might have an idea for the multiple launchers thingy!!! In the PSD mod, PM converts the raisermesser launcher used in the corporate cruiser into a raisermesser cannon. Now, this thing behaves like a weapon (can be changed by pressing 'w' and not 'tab') but it still fires the gotha-10 missile and i could install the NAMI launcher also. So, if PM could do the coding for the other standard launchers as well, I think it might do the job.
I do not plan to - too much work.

PSD6 has the Gotha-10 cannon as a temporary solution to the Corporate cruisers' dual launcher configuration. Once Transcendence can support multiple launchers for playership, the Gotha-10 cannon will not be needed anymore.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:I propose... speed- .35c, thrust, 0.8; maneuverability- 1.5... With these specs
Inertialess drive will turn a ship with those stats into a gamebreaker, provided it has sufficient coverage from multiple linked fire weapon slots. .35c is as fast as a Hornet, faster than everything else. Slow turning is a problem only if the ship has uncontrollable momentum or firing blind spots. Inertialess drive eliminates momentum; and most, if not all, large stock ships have full fire coverage.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:Yeah, the inertialess drive allows such kind of insane travelling, but first thing, i've completed the game like about 30 times till now and i've managed to find it only 2 times (i might be the unluckiest guy on the planet or you tell me!). This thing is insanely rare.
It is rare only if the Teraton fabricator is not used. Teraton fabricator will spawn an inertialess drive without much difficulty. The fabricator is still very powerful even after the 1.1 nerf. Inertialess drive is only level 7, and SN2500 reactor (also a level 7 reactor/drive item) is common loot from neverending Huari and Ventari ships.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:And besides, it's actually a curse for some ships (preferably fast ones with small reactors) since the player has to keep his thrusters on as long as he wants to move, which is not the best way to conserve fuel. You guys understand what i mean, perhaps experienced it firsthand...
Inertialess drive is not very useful for Sapphire and Wolfen. It is useful for EI500 that has bulked up due to heavy armor and full cargo. In Playership Drones, the inertialess drive is invaluable for slow massive ships that have slow top speed and turn speed, such as various superfreighters. In case of the EI500, you can disable the inertialess drive if you need to save fuel, and do not need the speed; then turn it back on when you need speed.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:I tried installing multiple ICX on my CSC but there wasn't any noticeable change in the rate of fire. Also, the fact that i installed 4 ICX, but at any given time they would engage only a single projectile.
Multiple ICX devices do not change fire rate. They all fire simultaneously. It appears your ship fires only one shot, but all of them are firing. It is that all beams overlap perfectly.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:1) Can the ICX be made to engage multiple targets simultaneously?
A single device with multishot can multitarget, but secondary targets will be enemy ships.

Multiple devices (that do not multitarget) will all target the same ship, unless device position and firearcs were changed after install.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:2) Can it be made to engage ships?
3) Can it be changed to another damage type like particle, positron, nano etc.? This feature would be very helpful in systems after Heretic, where we might constantly have to battle out the Iocrym.
Yes and yes.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

newtonianfreak666 wrote:... for a thermonuclear missile like the XM900, we'll need ores of Uranium and Tanks of Hydrogen. ...
Common Hydrogen-1 has no purpose in a thermonuclear fusion warhead; it's the isotopes Hydrogen-2 (Deuterium) and Hydrogen-3 (Tritium) that are used. I believe they aren't actually available as a commodity in Transcendence.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:... with @#$!-ass turning and acceleration!!! ...
You know how drag racing strips are not very long? Drag racers have extremely fast acceleration in order to reach their top speed before they cross the finish line.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:I tried installing multiple ICX on my CSC but there wasn't any noticeable change in the rate of fire. Also, the fact that i installed 4 ICX, but at any given time they would engage only a single projectile. I have 3 questions-
1) Can the ICX be made to engage multiple targets simultaneously?
2) Can it be made to engage ships?
Or maybe create a new set of ICX turrets? 360 degree, nano, 6 shots/sec, hp- 25, multitarget capability(multiple turrets, each one has its own target), range- 10 lightsecs, Name- Longrange interceptor, Availability- On learning about the Iocrym's intentions, the CW decides to create some pretty hi-tech military stuff. Prototype design, blueprint as well as main turret available only after Heretic. Anyone like this? Might be cool...
Consider checking out the "'PDmod' ICX Overhaul": http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1168

It was designed specifically to address #1, and allows ships and stations to benefit enormously from installing multiple ICX systems by evenly distributing anti-missile fire at multiple, simultaneously incoming targets. It can also be switched to an operational mode that performs #2, though with inherently limited effectiveness, and it comes with many new ICX-type devices, which should satisfy #3 quite nicely.
PM wrote:... Slow turning is a problem only if the ship has uncontrollable momentum or firing blind spots. Inertialess drive eliminates momentum; and most, if not all, large stock ships have full fire coverage. ...
Ships with full omni-directional mounts yet slow turn rate cannot take advantage of rotating damaged armor segments away from the line of fire. 36 armor segments will only provide the protection of 1 armor segment if all fire is concentrated on a single sector or vector.

This is a massive (no pun intended) problem with station-scale ships, because they are too large to use a shield generator on, and thus depend entirely on armor and point defense.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

TVR wrote:
newtonianfreak666 wrote:... for a thermonuclear missile like the XM900, we'll need ores of Uranium and Tanks of Hydrogen. ...
Common Hydrogen-1 has no purpose in a thermonuclear fusion warhead; it's the isotopes Hydrogen-2 (Deuterium) and Hydrogen-3 (Tritium) that are used. I believe they aren't actually available as a commodity in Transcendence.
Deuterium Oxide aka Heavy Water does exist however. Close enough.
Autohummer
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

pip wrote:So even with a huge mothership there wouldn't really be a need to change the engine upgrades.
It would be awesome however if you could make an engine upgrade that didn't increase the speed of the ship, but rather it's turn rate....
I'll see what I can do. Can be one of the (few) custom devices and upgrades for the MS. (maybe I should somehow limit all MS upgrades to be usable only on the MS itself, perhaps by tonnage?)
newtonianfreak666 wrote:Hey... big guys, listen up... i think i might have an idea for the multiple launchers thingy!!! In the PSD mod, PM converts the raisermesser launcher used in the corporate cruiser into a raisermesser cannon. Now, this thing behaves like a weapon (can be changed by pressing 'w' and not 'tab') but it still fires the gotha-10 missile and i could install the NAMI launcher also. So, if PM could do the coding for the other standard launchers as well, I think it might do the job. But, i still have no idea how to use the other kind of missiles in the same weapon. Perhaps, giving the weapon a few of the characteristics of a launcher might do something. eg. same weap, fires diff. kinds of projectiles. Like, NAMI launcher renamed as NAMI projectile cannon, fires Stilleto, and pressing 'w' switches it to another missile. What do you guys say? Can it be possible? Not reqd. for the MS though.
Yes, I think that is proof that it can be done, but not economically in terms of coding time and may drive the coder insane if this has to be implemented for many launchers.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:As Autohummer pointed out, we could manufacture our own ammo. So, melt the other missiles/grenades etc. and create your own missiles. But, as a different mod???

Another thing, If we create ammo, then for a thermonuclear missile like the XM900, we'll need ores of Uranium and Tanks of Hydrogen. Am i being too realistic?
Good catch! I will need to compile a list for what to be used for materials for making each item. Since the mining pack gives us hydrogen as we smelt ores, we can go crazy on using these raw materials all we want as we can have a plentiful amount of it. (Perhaps it would be best to begin with a list of things we can get from mining and smelting, before we go on to point what use they'll have in our factories. I'll get on it.)
newtonianfreak666 wrote:I propose... speed- .35c, thrust, 0.8; maneuverability- 1.5... With these specs, it'd take quite sometime for the MS to reach its fullspeed but once it does, it'll be able to outrun any other ship in the game(Just in case you're havin a bad day). Maneuverability's worse than a gaian processor... 360degree turrets are absolutely necessary. And 1 more thing, its damn hard to control this thing in these specs. The ship just keeps on orbiting the station i wanna dock with and after about 20 to 30 passes, i'm sometimes able to dock. So, Handling this ship is worse than @#$! while it's top speed's pretty cool.
I know I am going to be a bit confusing since you've never played Homeworld Cata or 2, but the Command ship/MS in those games are not at all agile. The correct way to handle a ship of this size is to use the stop button (Default ".", I changed it to the down arrow,) stop the ship and aim the station then hit dock. If the ship somehow refuses to dock even after the automatic pull-in sequence, then it can use some changing.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:Yeah, the inertialess drive allows such kind of insane travelling, but first thing, i've completed the game like about 30 times till now and i've managed to find it only 2 times (i might be the unluckiest guy on the planet or you tell me!). This thing is insanely rare. So, it'd not affect the game so much. Secondly, i think it should be left for the user to decide whether or not he likes to play the game with a little bit of physics realism or just alien concept. You find it, its upto you if you wanna use it or not. Everybody knows the concept of inertialess drive is just a myth. If they wanna have some fun, i believe they should have it. But, if you guys want to be strict, you can overwrite it. And besides, it's actually a curse for some ships (preferably fast ones with small reactors) since the player has to keep his thrusters on as long as he wants to move, which is not the best way to conserve fuel. You guys understand what i mean, perhaps experienced it firsthand...
This is why I don't intend to change the inertaless drive. It is meant to be a energy hungry, alien artefact engine that the MS can come across and use. Even with the ludicrous speed (acceleration, to be precise,) it is not going to be a super-battleship because it is going to be overwhelmed if it leaves it fleet behind by going too fast. It is still huge, slow-turning and has vanilla armours and shields. And by the time you can put together enough equipment and power to make the MS a Naggarok, it's time to have some fun before facing the ICS.
newtonianfreak666 wrote: @Autohummer:
Hey dude, you said the design was from HW, named Banana. I didn't think it'd actually look like a banana!!! I know, a lot of people love this ship but i believe, something like a CSC design looks like it's made on earth.
Please kindly follow this link:

http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Kushan_Mothership

The top-down perspective of Transcendence is misleading when attempting to portray a vertical ship such as the Banana. The PNG file actually isn't so bright. My renderings look fine in my computer and photobucket but becomes strangely bright as I put it on the forums.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:BTW, your Tabinka and Unyeilding Mk VII designs were also cool, an enlarged version of them would look like a total bad-assed MS. Hey, i got an idea... Take a Tabinka mark V and instead of 2 wings put in 4 in an X pattern. Much like putting 2 mark V's at right angles, crisscross axially. Ship flies in an X pattern and not +. For linkslots, put 1 linkslot each in the front and centre of the long frontpart, and 1 linkslot at the end of each wing(All 360degree turrets). Primary weap slot would be in the lower mid section of the ship towards the rear. Hangar bay's in the bottomside of the ship while factory bay's all the way along the long frontpart. Weap's and other stuff are kept in those monstrous wings(4 of 'em to be precise) while the research bay's in the mid/rear bulk part. I'm just askin man, i'm not sayin anythin...
YES! More people who thinks the Tabinka looks cool and badass!

The underside of the Tabinka could have been a hanger, but instead, I put another bridge on it. The underside is actually a bit different from the top, but I think it can be adapted to a hanger bay. For the X-Tabinka idea, I would need to do some experiments to see if it would look good first.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:BTW, you're opting for multiple cargoholds... Is it possible??? Generally, my cargo expansion gets replaced when i try to install a new hold, much like the multiple launcher problem...
I hope yes, if the modules are installed as devices instead of holds. (I really should know more about how the game works.) If not, something like the upgradable tesseract holds may be considered.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:1 other thing, if we're researching a level 2 armor and we happen to come across an undamaged segment of level 6 armor of the same material, all armors upto level 5 for that material would be automatically researched in the same research. e.g. If we're researching a level 2 plasteel armor like light plasteel armor and we happen to come across an undamaged segment of level 6 armor (advanced plasteel armor), all plasteel armors upto level 5 would be automatically researched in the same research time. For researching level 6 armor, we'll need extra segments of that armor.
It makes a lot of sense and also pretty neat, it also helps hastening the research through so many armours available, I hope it can be coded. It may not work for modded armours though, even if they should work by common sense.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:I haven't used a mnemonic cube or a CPU on my ship until absolutely necessary for a mission till now and so i don't know how they work. If its a 1 cube 1 shot thingy, we're gonna need a new usables item screen. All those things in the cargo waiting to be used, when we press the U button, it'll be ages before we can find the right thing to use. How would it be if the cyber defence capabilities were made infinite for this ship? eg. Ship completes research on Anti-shield cyberattack, uses it. Now, any hostile ship near the MS would automatically have shields down. similarly, MS completes research on EMP field, Uses it. Any hostile craft without EMP protect gets EMP disabled. Needless to say, these Cyber researches would take very long to be completed but can be sped up by using mnemonic cubes. Also, if this is the case, i would suggest the MS not be given the ability to create her own cubes. Anyone like this idea?
A rechargeable memcube attack that does not actually use cubes is the best, IMHO. But I remember those cubes are one-shot. If we can't code a rechargeable electronic attack unit (with a program "library" that expands by researching captured memcubes) we will resort to the MS building memcubes.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:About the weapon research thing... Same weapon, higher level? Akan 600 researched, Akan 30 research automatically completed. similarly, M5 researched, M2 done automatically. What do you say?
Same as armour idea, neat, hopefully can be implemented with minimal fuss.
newtonianfreak666 wrote:Ship fleet limit doesn't sound too fun. But, its another thing that a guy creates a whole army of ships but ships won't be that cheap. So, plz don't put a limit on the no. of ships in your fleet. Just a generel request. Plzzzzzzzzzzz...
I don't like hard caps either, but everything seems to have them nowadays.... In that case, a soft cap known as "frame rate" and "CPU processing power" and "patience to sort through thousands of ships" will have to do.

BTW, Here is the newest rendition of the Tabinka Class. It now has monstrous engines and Su-37 like wings.

The WIS fleet here is intended to play the roles of custom ships for the MS fleet, but this is far from concrete:
Has resurfaced!
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I see lots of interesting idea's here, but I would just like to emphasize that if anything is going to actually be done on this mod that we have to outline some BASIC features as a beta, or even an alpha version of the mod, which we can then build on and fill out; eventually creating all of the best features that we want.

As far as I am concerned what we need is:
  • 1.An Adventure extension, with MotherShip as the only playable ship as a playing field; you could probably modify "The Network" (with permission)

2.A Mothership sprite, and stats (probably the easiest thing to do, hell with an hour and some patience even I could!) (This is hard for me)

3.A modification (with permissions) of one or more of the carrier ship mods: mod&id=1164 , mod&id=978

4.A mashup of dockscreens from: mod&id=908 , mod&id=1108 , mod&id=1092 , Miningpack Raw Materials Fabricator and the 'linked weapons' dockscreen in PSD and any additional dockscreens (I personally think that instead of creating enhance items, you should have an "enhancement lab" dockscreen which will allow you to enhance items directly... for a price)
Last edited by FourFire on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Autohummer wrote:
newtonianfreak666 wrote:BTW, you're opting for multiple cargoholds... Is it possible??? Generally, my cargo expansion gets replaced when i try to install a new hold, much like the multiple launcher problem...

I hope yes, if the modules are installed as devices instead of holds. (I really should know more about how the game works.) If not, something like the upgradable tesseract holds may be considered.
See my mod Cargo Modules.
Autohummer wrote:
newtonianfreak666 wrote:I haven't used a mnemonic cube or a CPU on my ship until absolutely necessary for a mission till now and so i don't know how they work. If its a 1 cube 1 shot thingy, we're gonna need a new usables item screen. All those things in the cargo waiting to be used, when we press the U button, it'll be ages before we can find the right thing to use. How would it be if the cyber defence capabilities were made infinite for this ship? eg. Ship completes research on Anti-shield cyberattack, uses it. Now, any hostile ship near the MS would automatically have shields down. similarly, MS completes research on EMP field, Uses it. Any hostile craft without EMP protect gets EMP disabled. Needless to say, these Cyber researches would take very long to be completed but can be sped up by using mnemonic cubes. Also, if this is the case, i would suggest the MS not be given the ability to create her own cubes. Anyone like this idea?
A rechargeable memcube attack that does not actually use cubes is the best, IMHO. But I remember those cubes are one-shot. If we can't code a rechargeable electronic attack unit (with a program "library" that expands by researching captured memcubes) we will resort to the MS building memcubes.
Just remove or don't add the (objRemoveItem ...) code for your custom cube, and it will stay after use. Data ROMs, like the one in Arco's habitat, already feature this. It does not deal with fire rate though.

Other ideas:
* You can make your cyberdeck-like device use a launcher slot and use programs as ammo (that replenish themselves when fired). Use fireRate as a delay, and use capacitor timer to show how long the delay is. See the Quantum cyberdeck in my Items Pack 912 mod. The disadvantage with this method is you cannot use another launcher, due to one launcher per ship restriction.

* Will the protagonist in your mothership mod seek Domina, or otherwise have a reason to use magic? If not, replace Domina powers with your cyberdeck programs.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

For inertialess drive problems take a look at the Northwind Playerships. They have code to restrict device installation including prohibiting drive upgrades (or at least drive upgrades that have mass). This requires overriding the installation checking functions, but AFAIK it's the only mod to do so and conflicts between playership mods don't really matter now that you can select mods at the new game screen.

For launcher issues you can adapt the unlauncher code from Weapons Extended. Just point the non-launcher version at the launcher UNID and give each launcher its own virtual ammo. It's still something of a stop gap waiting for multi-launcher support, but it's a more flexible stopgap than a weapon that only fires one ammo type.
Literally is the new Figuratively
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hello, back on the dock screen hierarchy (menus for bays, labs and holds) I suggest something like this: (Dockscreens after the ### will need to be carefully designed, and should be added later)

hip configuration:
nstall Item
nistall Item
[L]ink Weapons >> WeaponLinkScreen
Replace [A]rmor >> Armors

[C]argo Bays:
[W]eapons
[A]rmors
heilds
[D]evices
[M]aterials
msc

[F]ighter Bays >> {Insert options for "garrisoned" ships here}

[R]esearch & Fabrication >> [E]nhance Item:
>> [W]eapons {basically an edit of the G.O.D. function}
>> [A]rmor {with seperated catagories and costing RU and materials}
>> heilds
>> [D]evices

###
[F]abrication >> [W]eapons >> {edited weaponlabs custom weapon Dockscreen}
>> [A]rmor
>> heilds
>> [D]evices

[H]ull (ships) >> Use lueprint
Fabricate [D]efault Ship
Fabricate [C]ustom Ship

[R]esearch Lab >> Reverse [E]ngineer Device
[C]reate Ship Blueprint

That's about it, a modified dockscreen will be needed for wrecks (to cuttle/alvage them for "RU") RU amounts would be visible in place of Credits on all of the Fabrication dockscreens (so you "buy" items and Hulls with these Resource Units) Refining ores (byproducts) and creating fuel rods would cost a token amount of RU, for the container produced. I envision RU as a sort of 1/1000 ton of Generic metal resource, so that way you could even give RU a mass (1kg).
(Edit: After talking a bit with people in IRC It seems like a good idea to skip the smelting dockscreen; materials will be smelted automatically if there is more than 50% fuel in the reactor.)
Last edited by FourFire on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Code: Select all

<ShipClass UNID="&[Mothership UNID Here];"
            manufacturer=       ""
            class=              "Mothership"
            type=               ""
            score=              "975000"

mass=               "250000"
            reactorPower=       "10000"
            fuelCapacity=       "2500000"
            fuelCriteria=       "f L:1-9"
            cargoSpace=         "50000"
            thrust=             "25000"
            rotationCount=      "40"
            maneuver=           "12"
            maxSpeed=           "15"

maxArmor=           "50000"
            maxCargoSpace=      "50000"
            maxDevices=         "25"
            maxNonWeapons=      "20"
			maxWeapons=         "8"

cyberDefenseLevel=  "8"
            explosionType=      "&[Death Explosion Type Here];"
            leavesWreck=        "100"

attributes=         "00200000_PlayerShip, capitalShip, majorShip, playerShip"

dockScreen=         "&[Dockscreen Hierarchy Here];"
            inherit=            "&[Dockscreen for other things here];"
            >

<Armor>
            <ArmorSection start="350" span="10" armorID="&[Armor Item Here];" areaSet="7,13" />
            [...]
            <ArmorSection start="0"   span="10" armorID="&[Armor Item Here];" areaSet="7,13" />
        </Armor>

<Devices>
            <DeviceSlot criteria="w" posAngle="0" posRadius="20" omnidirectional="true"/>

[Equipped Devices Here]

<Device deviceID="&itMissileDefense;" omnidirectional="true" />
            <Device deviceID="&vtDamageControlParty;"/>
        </Devices>

<Items>
           [Equipped Items Here]
        </Items>

<Image imageID="&[Ship Facing Image Here];" imageX="0" imageY="0" imageWidth="[whatever]" imageHeight="[whatever]" imageFrameCount="0" imageTicksPerFrame="0"/>

<DriveImages>
         [Drivenozzle Data Here]
        </DriveImages>

<PlayerSettings
            desc=               "The mothership is a supermassive shipyard, research facility and materials foundry equipped with Heavy armaments to protect it's fleet"
            largeImage=         "&[Rendering image here];"
            initialClass=       "True"
            >

<ArmorDisplay>
                <ShipImage imageID="&[ArmorHUDShip Image here];" imageWidth="[whatever]" imageHeight="[whatever]"/>

<ArmorSection name="12:10 o'clock"
                        imageID="&rsNone;" 
                        imageX="0" imageY="0" imageWidth="0" imageHeight="0"
                        destX="0" destY="0" hpX="69" hpY="12"
                        nameY="4" nameBreakWidth="200" nameDestX="0" nameDestY="8" />

[...]

<ArmorSection name="11:50 o'clock"
                        imageID="&rsNone;" 
                        imageX="0" imageY="0" imageWidth="0" imageHeight="0"
                        destX="0" destY="0" hpX="41" hpY="12"
                        nameY="4" nameBreakWidth="200" nameDestX="0" nameDestY="8" />
            </ArmorDisplay>

<ShieldDisplay shieldLevelEffect="&[ShieldHUD Image here];">
            </ShieldDisplay>

<ReactorDisplay>
                <Image imageID="&rsZubrinReactor;" 
                        imageX="0" imageY="0" imageWidth="256" imageHeight="60"/>

<PowerLevelImage imageID="&rsZubrinReactor;"
                        imageX="0" imageY="60" imageWidth="202" imageHeight="14"
                        destX="54" destY="9"/>

<FuelLevelImage imageID="&rsZubrinReactor;"
                        imageX="0" imageY="74" imageWidth="194" imageHeight="14"
                        destX="54" destY="37"/>

<FuelLowLevelImage imageID="&rsZubrinReactor;"
                        imageX="0" imageY="88" imageWidth="194" imageHeight="14"/>

<ReactorText x="62" y="22" width="154" height="14"/>
                <PowerLevelText x="62" y="0" width="154" height="9"/>
                <FuelLevelText x="62" y="51" width="154" height="9"/>
            </ReactorDisplay>

</PlayerSettings>

<shieldSize>[whatever]</shieldSize>
            <shipPoints>
                (   ; Order is: DevicePos (angle radius [Z]), DeviceFireArc (min max)
                    ((X Y) (A B))
                    ((X Y) (A B))
                    ((X Y)) ;the top and bottom linked-fire slots will be omni, while the side slots will have 150⁰ Fire-arcs
                    ((X Y))
                )
            </shipPoints>
            <shipCanvas>
                [Visual Markers for Turrets Here]
            </shipCanvas>
        </StaticData>

Ok that's a basic draft of most of the parts for the Mothership .xml it's an edited CSC from PSD (if you have anything against this pm912 let me know!)
all of the [Text in Bracket Here] is missing data which will needs to be filled in either as it is decided on, or by the sprite renderer (because of image sizes and stuff)
I hope this is helpful :)
Last edited by FourFire on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newtonianfreak666
Anarchist
Anarchist

hey, it just crossed my mind... Since the MS can install/uninstall her own weaps. we don't actually have the need for the multiple launchers capability for the MS... We can install whichever launcher we like whenever we like...
So you're saying Katami trained you???
Well, I trained Katami.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

About the adventure extension:

*where do we want to start?
*how many systems should there be between startingpoint and Heretic?
*should we just clone the base game's system layout?
*should we edit another adventure extention and use that?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

newtonianfreak666 wrote:hey, it just crossed my mind... Since the MS can install/uninstall her own weaps. we don't actually have the need for the multiple launchers capability for the MS... We can install whichever launcher we like whenever we like...
That still excludes a multiple launcher configuration, like that of the Corporate cruiser. Player should have the option to install multiple launchers and fire all of them as a missile massacre weapons system.

FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ok so I did this today:

Value of "Resource Units"

The value will be the average of (price for ingot / 250)*1.1 for all ingot types. 34.62 ~ 35 Credits per RU {I propose 7}
The Rin value will be determined using only the materials sought by ringers. 15.15 ~ 15 Rin per RU {I propose 3}

Credits Level

Titanium : 20 1-4

Palladium : 50

Plasteel : 80 3-6

Uranium : 110 5

Cerallox : 160 5-7

Magnasteel : 190 5-7

CobaltThorium : 240

Gold : 240 Ringers buy from here up.

Primalloy : 360 6-8

Xenotite : 420

Duranium : 420 5-7

Platinum : 480

Orthosteel : 480 6-9

Pterancium : 720

Supralloy : 720 8-10

Ithalium : 780 8-10

Teramite : 900

Neutronium : 2400

Hyperionic : 2700

Etherium : 6600

I have excluded Etherium,Teramite and Hyperionic from the Credits calculation, because the commonwealth and corporate hierarchy don't use these.

Now that that is out of the way, it appears the one RU is immensely valuable, being versatile and usable I am having difficulties with scale here so I suggest that we divide all values by 5 and also that we only actually have to fill 1/5 of a hulls Mass in order to produce it the rest of the mass can come from the same place as all ammoless weapon projectiles.

Given the large value of RU I suggest that only 1% (of proposed weight) be recoverable from wrecks and that further:
A hull will have the larger half (more like 2/3) of 20% of it's weight consist of ingots of the appropriate level. Then 20% of the remaining mass is to be filled by RU. (This means that a 50 ton ship would have around 35 tons filled with ingots, and 20% of 15 000 kg = 3000 RU. It occurs to me that since even a Viking Gunship weighs 150 tons that we could instead have a single RU be *worth* 10kg of mass. that way it won't cost us 225000 Rin {and 12 titanium ingots} to construct a single corsair)
All wreck types will have a fixed "x die y" calculation for how many ingots and which types (yes several types could be salvaged from the same wreck) may be recovered.

I'm currently ripping the hull values directly from PSD.

I've thought up this system: 80% of the mass of a hull will be ingots, and the remaining 20% will be RU.
Ingots (which reperesent 80% of a hull's mass) will drop 20%, 10% and 5% (of 80% mass) for under 50%, over 50% and 100% (wreck chance) respectively.
RU (which reperesent 20% of a hull's mass) will drop 1%, 5%, and 10% if mass of hull is lighter than 500 tons and 15%, 10%, and 5% if it is heavier than 500 tons. Remember that RU weigh 1kg and represent 10kg in a hull.

Examples:
100 tons, 30% wreck chance = (20% of 80) 4d4 [ingots], (1% of 2000) 4d5

100 tons, 70% wreck chance = (10% of 80) 2d4 [ingots], (5% of 2000) 4d25

100 tons, 100% wreck chance= (5% of 80) 1d4 [ingots], (10% of 2000) 4d50

1000 tons, 30% wreck chance = (20% of 800) 4d40 [ingots], (15% of 20000) 30d100

1000 tons, 70% wreck chance = (10% of 800) 2d40 [ingots], (10% of 20000) 20d100

1000 tons, 100% wreck chance = (5% of 800) 1d40 [ingots], (5% of 20000) 10d100

Keep in mind that though RU are worth 7 credits you won't be able to sell any until you meet ringers at which point you will want to have as many as possible in order to construct pimped up Ranx Dreadnoughts and the like. You will be able to buy RU at specific industrial stations (yes you Could farm Rin this way, but there is only so many items you can use without additional ships) Along with the boss battle, in the storyline I made up (below) you will Need a fleet of high level ships which are capable.

Edited AGAIN
Last edited by FourFire on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

So I was thinking about a story and was chatting in IRC when:
[Edit moved to next post]

Here is a proposed topology:
https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/t ... ship%20Mod
I asked RPC if he could code that for us.

And I think I figured out a formula for how research of items is going to work: (Itemlevel * 6)/Weight in tons (with a 1.5 modifier for damaged items) weight values will be rounded to the nearest ton the way we will do the multiplier is to first produce the number of "research points" for the items example:
Dual turbolaser cannon = (6 * level IV item 3.5 ~ 3 tons) = 24 / 3 = 8 research points. We will then multiply this number by 4, and have a research counter, the research counter will increment by 4 for every functional item, and 3 for every damaged item consumed: 8 * 4 = 32 "research points"

Once the item has been researched you can then *buy* it for RU (1/7th of the credit price, or 1/3rd of the Rin price of an item)
The manufacture of items in this way might cost fuel as well.
Last edited by FourFire on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.