Shipwrecks: (Ridiculously) minor graphics bug

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This one is minor to the point of ridiculousness, but it’s shown up a few times for me, now, so I figure I may as well toss it up here.

I wrote a graphics replacement mod for ships. Nothing against the original graphics by any means, it was the start of a more ambitious mod to overwrite all of the stock ships with as many facings as it would take to change their rotation speed to 1 and still have them turn at the same speed. I didn’t have access to the original ship models at the time, and even now that I do, I can’t seem to convert them to anything I can make use of.

…Anyway, now that I’ve explained the kack out of the background and demonstrated why I shouldn’t be allowed near a keyboard at three-thirty-in-the-morning… ¬.¬;

The bug is that I’ll occasionally get the vanilla sprite for a shipwreck when using the mod, or the mod’s sprite for a shipwreck when playing vanilla. It was noticeable since there was a mod-sprite Corsair wreck next to a vanilla-sprite Corsair II wreck (and now I wish I’d thought to take a screenshot… note to self…). It’s done it on Centauri Raiders, too. Like I said, almost nonexistently minor, but hey, it might wind up being a big deal for someone somewhere down the road for some reason.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is interesting. However I would like to see a screenshot and the mod code. I would consider the mod the culprit before declaring that Transcendence has a problem with the code spawning the shipwrecks.

[Also, moved out of Bug Reports & Tech Support since it's related to a mod. Shipyards is best suited to deal with mod help/problems.]
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’ll get a screenshot the next time it happens. It’s pretty rare. The code is fairly straightforward, though:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE TranscendenceExtension
[
  <!ENTITY unidExtension      "0xDCC80007">
]>

<TranscendenceExtension UNID="0xDCC80007;" version="1.1"
  name="Avian Enterprises - Substitutions" 
  credits="AssumedPseudonym"
  >

…
  <Image UNID="&rsCentauriRaiderImage;"    bitmap="CentauriRaider.jpg"      bitmask="CentauriRaiderMask.bmp"/>
  …
  <Image UNID="&rsMediumShips1;"        bitmap="MediumShips1.jpg"      bitmask="MediumShips1Mask.bmp"/>
  …

</TranscendenceExtension>
 Trimmed down just to show the spritesheets with the ships I’ve noticed, but that’s pretty much the basis of the whole mod. The reason I think it’s the game and not the mod, though, is that I’ve gotten mod graphics on shipwrecks when playing straight-up vanilla — and, in fact, it’s happened more often that way than the other way around.

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Took a while, but if finally cropped up again. This actually happened in the 1.3 beta, but it was happening as far back as 1.1. I obviously had the Osaka expansion running, but neither of the mods I had active overwrite any of the vanilla graphics.
Attachments
VanillaShipsModShipwreck.jpg
VanillaShipsModShipwreck.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 3877 times

george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I believe I've fixed this in the next release.

The problem happens if you start a game with your extension, then stop the game, and start a new game without the graphics extension. The engine was not clearing the cache of wreck images between games.

Let me know if you still see this problem in 1.3 RC 1 (which should be released in the next few days).