Homeworld-style Adventure Study MKII

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

If you're worried about the verticality of the Kushan mothership we can always try the Taiidan Mothership:
http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_flagship

*EDIT I will also answer your EDIT #4 in the tutorial thread.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thanks RPC for the quick reply. Will continue working on the mod since the problem seems to have been fixed.

Concerning the Mothership playership, I think custom would be good in the long run.

Edit #1: I found some meshes for exported HW2 models. Should I render the HW2 HG shipyard for 120 facings?
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Using models from HW is good for our development effort now; we can switch to a custom one later.

@RPC

Trying to evaluate the prototype, can it spawn fighter squadrons yet?
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

@TVR: It can't spawn anything yet. I just got stuck at the whole "setting up a fleet type after getting enough XP to use ships and items". This is Fleet Command => Shipyard => Create Squadron.
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Please do Rerender.

The Banana shape is intentional and desired: the immense scale of the ship will be self evident from it's other stats, and besides the sprite should match George's Exponential scale for measure of size.

And yes, we will need the shipyard too, at least for a placeholder.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

@FourFire

Can't seem to find an accurate length of the MS. Heck, even the height varies. Wiki says 2.1 Kilometers, People say anything from 3km to 10km. I think I will stick with a Three hundred meter length, it will be about as long as a CSC.

I found a problem. There is only one source for the Shipyard, saying that it is 2,236 meters in length, so that would be much to big to be playable. Should I scale it down to 500 meters? (Length of Ioycrm Command Ship) OR should I scale it to 700 meters OR should I scale it to 1km (Starton Eridani)?
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

OK, I've got the unstiched Shipyard files for facings. I'll post one picture because the forums has a file size limit. I think it might be a bit messed up. I'm going to try rendering it again.
Attachments
Shipyard
Shipyard
Unstiched Facings0001.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 11099 times
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Great start, StealthX. Once it's finished, should we make the shipyard a station or a ship?
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Great: I think that the Dock can be either a station, or a ship with 0 movement, it's supposed to be blown up really early on in any case.

@RPC you don't need to worry about squadrons just yet, just get the dockscreens in order to spawn ships which then become essentially PSD wingmen/autons.

I think intermediate squadron hierchy can be determined by launching (spawning) order first launched ship becomes leader, following ships of the become that ship's wingmen/autons and there's a button to press indicating that "this squadron is completed" in order to prevent every ship ever spawned just becoming a member of the first squadron ever.

furthermore, (yet more features you should not be worrying about implimenting just yet) when a squadron leader dies, all ships further down in the hierchy redesignate the ship they are assigned to, to the next oldest, surviving ship. If that ship is themselves then they redesignate to the mothership/whatever ship the player is flying.
Last edited by FourFire on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

OK, no updates this time. I had a three day hiatus which I got nothing done (YAY!). So I am a bit confused what ships I should render to 120 facings. Here is the (probably incomplete) list.

Kushan Savager Corvette: Little ship (borer sized) that runs around and scuttles wrecks, and then extracts RU's from them. Should we try to implement the original Homeworld mechanic of taking over ships (it would be incredibly complicated to do).

Kushan Mothership: Main Playership

HW2 Shipyard HG: Supposed to be blown up?????

Resource Collector: What model?
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

@FourFire

Could you post links to the core design posts and try to form preliminary order for us to accomplish them in?

@StealthX

Let's start with the 120 facings render of the Kushan mothership. It's the most important model and the only one we can put to use right now.

The shipyard model can wait, because it'll only be used if we try to recreate the HW1 campaign.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

@TVR

Alright.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ok, most of the relevant design posts are on the first thread, though most of it is idea shooting, here is a selection of the most relevant idea-posts:

One

Two

Three

Four (probably not useful at present time, just ignore it for now

Five

Six

Seven Note: Autohummer wanted to make the adventure extension aspect of the mod closer to plot/setting of Homeworld, something which I didn't want, but for now we only want a(n at least partially) functioning mothership so no need to worry about that yet.

Eight the much more recent dockscreen map, this is primarily what needs to be worked on ATM.

It would be great to get a relatively simple "Wrecks / Items --> RU --> Produced Hulls & items --> loadouts --> spawned wingmen" Pipeline working.

I attached a basic mockup of what parts of the playership .xml might look like (it's a modified CSC from PSD)
Attachments
Mothership exp.xml
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Attached below is an updated mothership.xml

Added some basic dock services to the mothership, to allow it to add and remove its own devices and repair its own armor.

Was hoping to add an RU cost to the dock services next, with the tentative RU cost = HP damage * armor level for armor repair, RU cost = 10 * He3 fuel rod or something for refueling. What do you think?

@FourFire

Nice, looks like we have a good roadmap to a basic mothership:

1) Implement manufacturing of weapons, armors and devices for RUs (easy)
2) Recycling weapons, armors and devices (WADs) and processing ores for RUs (easy)
3) Spawning drones (medium)
4) New mothership image (easy)
5) PSD integration for drones and linked weapons support (medium)
6) Customizing drones (hard)
7) Commanding drones (hard)

@RPC

Any plans for fleet command module?
Attachments
mothership.xml
(48.77 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes but I didn't know summer school would be super intense so haven't been able to work on anything this whole week.