2014 Annual Report

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I've just finished the 2014 Annual Report on Kronosaur Productions and its games:

http://multiverse.kronosaur.com/news.hexm?id=1251

Check it out for a look back at 2014 and some teasers about what's to come in 2015.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

An interesting write-up. A few questions I've got from it:

-With regards to Steam integration, would this lead to a split between the steam based services (eg. Workshop) and the Multiverse-based services, or would there ultimately be only one of the two used primarily? (I know this is an unfair question given how far off any such decisions would be, but I'm wondering if any early planning has been made as a "what if?")

-Will the non-linearity extend to the means in which we play through the game, as well as the path that we take? Part 1 features only one real way to progress: Kill people and steal their stuff. It'd be cool in the long term to see more ways to progress, be it diplomacy, trade, sneaky tactics, or bribing the ancient races with delicious fruit pies*.

-With the introduction of mouse support, are any changes to the existing campaigns/game-modes planned to take advantage of this?

*The residents of IRC felt that I needed to suggest this after I thought of it yesterday. I am truly sorry.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Good thing I've got Vol2 content for TSB already in the pipeline! (no xml yet though >.> just models)

Great news though, and I'm very much looking forward to 2015! (And hopefully getting a TSB Vol1 public beta out before the end of it..)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

All of this sounds magnificent.

Will the planned integration of EP be available to players who purchase it after the fact?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Shrike wrote:An interesting write-up. A few questions I've got from it:

-With regards to Steam integration, would this lead to a split between the steam based services (eg. Workshop) and the Multiverse-based services, or would there ultimately be only one of the two used primarily? (I know this is an unfair question given how far off any such decisions would be, but I'm wondering if any early planning has been made as a "what if?")

-Will the non-linearity extend to the means in which we play through the game, as well as the path that we take? Part 1 features only one real way to progress: Kill people and steal their stuff. It'd be cool in the long term to see more ways to progress, be it diplomacy, trade, sneaky tactics, or bribing the ancient races with delicious fruit pies*.

-With the introduction of mouse support, are any changes to the existing campaigns/game-modes planned to take advantage of this?
Good questions, all.

I don't know enough about Steam integration, so I can't answer definitively. The Multiverse will always be around. It is possible that we'll have to create a special Steam version of the client. But it will be a separate version that won't affect anyone else.

I like the idea of multiple ways of progressing. Almost certainly we'll start with one, but there are certainly plans to add more.

Lastly, I don't totally know how mouse support will be added. CSC America will likely be a separate client (America.exe). If so, it will supports mods just like Transcendence.exe. But I don't know how much of the RTS parts will be added to Transcendence.exe.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

JohnBWatson wrote:All of this sounds magnificent.

Will the planned integration of EP be available to players who purchase it after the fact?
Yes--regardless of when you acquire EP, you'll get the integration for free. It will essentially be part of the EP download.
Ultimate Chicken
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I wonder if putting it on GOG or Greenman is easier; no need to deal with integration and you can keep the client as-is. Integration is mostly for Steam's community features eg. Achievements, syncing saves across hardware, and of course pushing updates (which the game already can do I think).

All I would like is a method of paying for future expansions without using Paypal. :3
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Ultimate Chicken wrote:I wonder if putting it on GOG or Greenman is easier; no need to deal with integration and you can keep the client as-is. Integration is mostly for Steam's community features eg. Achievements, syncing saves across hardware, and of course pushing updates (which the game already can do I think).

All I would like is a method of paying for future expansions without using Paypal. :3
Yeah, I think GOG and Green Man are good ideas too. Either way, though, I think I need a special client because it will have CC+Eternity port bundled in. I need to talk to them to find out.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:
Shrike wrote:An interesting write-up. A few questions I've got from it:

Good questions, all.

I don't know enough about Steam integration, so I can't answer definitively. The Multiverse will always be around. It is possible that we'll have to create a special Steam version of the client. But it will be a separate version that won't affect anyone else.

I like the idea of multiple ways of progressing. Almost certainly we'll start with one, but there are certainly plans to add more.

Lastly, I don't totally know how mouse support will be added. CSC America will likely be a separate client (America.exe). If so, it will supports mods just like Transcendence.exe. But I don't know how much of the RTS parts will be added to Transcendence.exe.

Is there a plan to put Steam into the game / integrated?
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:(...) Either way, though, I think I need a special client because it will have CC+Eternity port bundled in. I need to talk to them to find out.
Why would CC+Eternity port need to be bundled in?
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

pixelfck wrote:
george moromisato wrote:(...) Either way, though, I think I need a special client because it will have CC+Eternity port bundled in. I need to talk to them to find out.
Steam won't approve a game unless they can make money from it. One way to do that is to have a bundle of Transcendence + CC + EP and sell it on Steam for $9.
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Will CSC America have multiplayer, different playable factions, or an Ares Campaign?

It seems like it could have potential as a full-fledged space RTS.

On a side note, would it be possible to establish a Ministry of Records section for CSC America? This could lead into that originally proposed feature voting system.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

TVR wrote:Will CSC America have multiplayer, different playable factions, or an Ares Campaign?

It seems like it could have potential as a full-fledged space RTS.

On a side note, would it be possible to establish a Ministry of Records section for CSC America? This could lead into that originally proposed feature voting system.
I certainly hope that CSC America will be a full-fledged space RTS--that's one reason why I plan on it being a separate game (separate .EXE) and not just a Transcendence adventure/extension. Of course, it will be set in the same universe and share lots of artwork and code, but it will be an RTS.

It will not be multiplayer in 2015, but I am designing it with multiplayer in mind and it will be much easier to make it multiplayer (than Transcendence, e.g.).

The game is still little more than an idea, so I don't know if it will have multiple playable factions (though I would like that).

As I said, very little is actually designed yet, so I think it is too early for a Ministry section, but I like the idea of discussing various ideas with people. I'll start a thread about it in the forums. [Edit: Added a post in Drawing Board: http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6965]
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

One concern with Steam is that it would split the community. They have their own community and their own mod library that aren't accessible to non-Steam people. If there's a reputable online game marketplace that doesn't try to provide a community that would better serve our ability to keep our own.
Literally is the new Figuratively
bzm3r
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:
pixelfck wrote:
Steam won't approve a game unless they can make money from it. One way to do that is to have a bundle of Transcendence + CC + EP and sell it on Steam for $9.
Doesn't Steam allow for "free to play" games, that additionally offer "DLC", which are purchased?

What are the negative consequences of going with Steam?