Ferians...

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I am sure there are some plans for the Ferians, However, I have often attempted to make them a little more then just busy bees & I think , as a station , they could at least buy fuel ( that they use ) and food items from the Player.

Also - like the new Outlaws that come after Ore while your mining I think the Ferians should gravitate toward the player ( if the Player finds Ore ) and seek Ore for themselves as well.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I do like the idea of Ferians interacting with the new mining system. Perhaps tracking the player's ore finds shouldn't be the way to go, given their lack of human level intellect as well as a lack of desire for conflict, but I'd certainly love to see more depth added to their behavior. I don't think they ought to buy from the player, considering they were engineered as self - replicating mining equipment by the Ringers, which includes self - sufficiency or at least an exclusive mercantile relationship with their masters.

Some suggestions:
  • Rather than firing on sight for seemingly no reason and then getting warrior'd, the Rogue Fleet could behave as actual pirates, sending out Centurions to attack gating miners and loot their wrecks.
  • Abandoned Ferian hives in the middle of mined out asteroids, for atmosphere. Could be used as makeshift bases for pirates like the Kobol and Rogue Fleet.
  • Ringers retaliate in some measure if you destroy a Ferian hive in a system where they have a station, perhaps by blacklisting the player.
  • Ranx interact with the Ferians in some capacity, either attempting to liberate them in keeping with their opposition to slavery or destroying their hives in an attempt to harm the Ringers' economy.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ferians create and send more miners toward found deposits. I do not know if they steal ore like Borers though.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote: Some suggestions:
  • Rather than firing on sight for seemingly no reason and then getting warrior'd, the Rogue Fleet could behave as actual pirates, sending out Centurions to attack gating miners and loot their wrecks.
  • Abandoned Ferian hives in the middle of mined out asteroids, for atmosphere. Could be used as makeshift bases for pirates like the Kobol and Rogue Fleet.
  • Ringers retaliate in some measure if you destroy a Ferian hive in a system where they have a station, perhaps by blacklisting the player.
  • Ranx interact with the Ferians in some capacity, either attempting to liberate them in keeping with their opposition to slavery or destroying their hives in an attempt to harm the Ringers' economy.
I like the Rouge Fleet Idea : they could be more like Marauders ..

Making the Ranx enemies of the Ferians is no big trick..Ringers response to a player destroying Ferian stations is ...well ... that's where we get the ore to sell to the Ringers!! LOL

the re-purposing of wrecked stations by Hostiles is an interesting idea, unfortunately that would require the game engine to actively seek out hiding spots for Pirates, etc as the system is active - much like a game with DySy ( http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod_searc ... =3&sortb=1 ) but the variety factor of hostiles would have to be included in the respawn ( take over of the stations )

But still you WOULD expect such behavior from Pirates...
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I also think ferians should more than just innocent colony. Their nest should can buying fuel and food from player. I suggest they have a mission for player, like player must collect some ore, whatever mining or just buying ore from another station. And they will offer Ringer's crystal as reward, and you can sell that crystal to ringers for a few rins.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If they had some kind of function I might have a reason to not torch every one I come across. I like the idea.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It seems Ferians were designed for the player to pirate from. How many bugs are you willing to kill before they fight back hard? They are a great source of loot due to shear numbers.

I find Ferians annoying, and have no qualms exterminating them if I can withstand the warriors. Waste cannon is great against miners if you want to kill them but you want to be far away from them when they die. A system with Ferians has serious bug infestation problems, and an exterminator is needed to make the bugs go away - permanently.

It would be nice if Ferians were useful for less bloodthirsty players who do not want to attack them. Currently, they are only useful when dead.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.