For Fun: The Headcanon Thread

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Headcanon Thread
Had an idea about the setting of Transcendence based on what you've seen? Here's a good place to share it! Headcanon can be fun, and occaisionally comes up with ideas for George (and other regdevs fro time to time) to work into things.

This is a ported-over version of the 'Little things that should be canon' thread idea we have over in the regdev forums. Over there we had the problem of having a lot of regdev-restricted info that we sit on...which is somewhat vague. So we read it, and it sparks ideas that fill the gaps...which we can't share openly because of it being based on restricted info. So there's a thread for that. But it turned into something more general, with a lot of general game headcanon that didn't use the restricted info. And since every thread questioning lore ends up as a headcanon thread......it seems nice and neat to have a proper thread set up.

The One Big Rule:

Headcanon is inherently taking what is in the game, and trying to infer what is not in the game. And generally speaking, things aren't canon unless they're in the game (and even then, George likes being intentionally vague). This includes the seeeeecret dev wiki content that gets used for the other thread that inspired this one! If it's not in the game, it's not canon. Even if it is in the game, the game can always be changed! Thus there is no point in nitpicking other people's headcanon, and no place for it in this thread. Don't like someone's pet theory? Hold back from the pyramid quotes. A nice reply with your own interpretation of the same details is ok, though! Likewise, playing off each other's ideas is cool. Just be nice about it.

Other rules:

-Obviously, must be related to the Transcendence universe.
-Base headcanon off the canonical/semi-canonical sources that exist. Obviously these are a bit fragmented, so try to say where you got the info from if you can.
-Please don't spam inanity. Being serious is optional, being sensible is not. Remember, insanity is a sometimes food!
-No headcanon based on information on the Registered Developer Wiki or otherwise restricted to RegDevs. This is an important rule for regdevs, since while George doesn't really enforce this rule, we can really mess things up if we leak stuff that later gets changed, or spoil something accidentally. We have out own thread for regdev-based headcanon. Non reg-devs can ignore this one! :)
-Explain stuff, but keep it short!
-If a headcanon is a collab by multiple peeps, say who they are. Likewise, acknowledge IRC madness when you transfer it here.
-It's 'headcanon' with a single n, not a double. For headcannon, see the relevant SCP Foundation entry. Remember, everyone's face-mounted artillery is unique and wonderful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Relevant Examples taken from the Regdev thread (with restricted content excised)
Shrike (in the Regdev Thread) wrote:
[MULTIPLE ENTRIES REDACTED: REGDEV STUFF + I like having my serious theories about Morgental to be semi-secret. :P ]

Penitent Cannons suck for a reason

Penitent guns really are garbage for an alien weapon that can't be comprehended by human minds. And they're surprisingly simple at only tech level 4. The only way I could really think of (in-universe) for that being the case is if the gun is actually a 'remote', and the projectile itself isn't being created by the gun, but channeled and directed. But that just means that Oracus really doesn't punch very hard. But to make it make more sense I like to think that this is sort of an equivelant to the WW2 'Liberator' pistol....a super-cheap weapon design that can be given to any old backwater race of idiots so Oracus can compel some schmucks into being cultists, get them to shoot whatever's decent (since it's a bas gun that will damage almost any armor in the game), then take the guns from that thing. Alas, the penitent cultists are not very smart and seem to have gotten a bit behind on the "get something better" stage.

(This is not a serious bit of headcanon. But eh....that gun makes no sense anyway since it's supposed to be too many things at once. I'm trying to kill an ICS in vanilla with one of these+an enhanced flenser. Getting the right item combo has been hard since messing up is an instakill.)

Alas, even I can't come up with a reason for the Gaian Demolition Cannon.

Dvalin is really embarrassed by the stuff he made as a teenager whenever he sees it brought in by a freelancer

There's no secret-wiki-based reason for this at all. I just want to see him say "I have not seen a......wait.......I made this when I was thirteen! Where did you find it?!! I...ah....Walter?!" and wave frantically at a technician to get rid of the thing, blushing in shame at how crude it is. (Shrike AU would have it be the centauri recoilless cannons, just to reward players who carry one all the way to Dvalin, but that wouldn't make any kind of in-universe sense).
AssumedPseudonym (in RegDev Thread) wrote: Regarding the Penitent cannon, the conversation I had in my head (and that I typed up) for it was:

(02:35:47 AM) AssumedPseudonym: “This is what Oracus gave us.“
(02:35:47 AM) AssumedPseudonym: “But there are so many bett…”
(02:35:47 AM) AssumedPseudonym: “I SAID THIS IS WHAT ORACUS GAVE US, DAMMIT.”
(02:37:22 AM) AssumedPseudonym: “Then how come the Atonement has a NAMI missile launcher?”
(02:37:22 AM) AssumedPseudonym: “…Reasons.”
AssumedPseudonym (in RegDev Thread) wrote: Centauri Warlords: Origins
Everyone seems to think that the Centauri Warlords are badasses (except for the player, who never got the memo). My personal headcanon for that is that a drunken pilot in a Sapphire pulled a hey-y’all-watch-this and tried to win a head-on collision with an asteroid (and didn’t). The only ones around at the time were Centauri, who got blamed for it. A Borer pilot — as blitzed as the other pilot — decided to take revenge and wound up blowing himself up on extracted ore from vodka-impaired aim with the mining laser. After the Ronin A that went out to investigate wound up crashing a live-fire test of the CLAW which was actually a Centauri pilot who had added an Arbalest to a ship, was replacing a damaged one when the Ronin showed up, and completely screwed up the wiring in the best possible way while trying to get things put back together to get away from the Ronin, they got a reputation that got blown entirely out of proportion — and the Centauri were as guilty as buying into the hype as everyone else. It didn’t take long before the Sapphire was a freighter convoy, the Borer was an entire mining colony, and the Ronin A was a pack of Centurions. No wonder all Eridani thinks these guys can’t be beat!
Various IRC sources, mostly Shrike, posted to RegDev thread by Shrike (this actually comes before the AP one, but eh, whatever) wrote:

The centauri warlords are actually a group of LARPers who got far too into it

Canonically, the centauri are far more of a thing than their terrible weapon range, 20-facing ships and bad AI settings would suggest (and TSB does give them some actual firepower, although their range is stull terrible). But oddly, they're not actually present in Alpha Centauri. And they seem oddly powerful for a force that, without AI buffs, is basically the only group that can be taken out by hornets. Thus I hypothesise that one day a bunch of engineering students decided to play at being warlords for a prank/LARP, it went a bit too far, then decided to make a shot at doing it for real (also the police were after them anyway.)

This one's actually serious-ish: Hornets are modified escape pods

Or at least, they originate from that style of design. While the Hornet model is really really old , it looks like the two "wings" fold out from the back to uncover the drive...so it can be stowed with them folded as an "egg" shape. That lets you transport it easily, and it fits the classic Star-Wars style epod shape more or less. Having 'wings' lets you radiate heat better, and also mount some thrusters and sensors further out, and you can't ding the engine while transporting it. The only downside to this idea is that there's no space for a door in the back. Then again....this is a space fighter with an open cockpit, so getting in can't be that hard. Also you'd have much better armor facing towards an enemy than when running away...but this is a hornet, so that doesn't really matter.

(Hornets having open cockpits is old, old IRC-canon, dating from back when the original truespace models got released and got examined in detail. No idea who came up with it, but it's fairly universal now.)

[SECTION REDACTED: DEVWIKI SPOILERS]

Eridani Mineral Water has a dark secret

How do you bottle mineral water on a space station?!!! I mean, it works if it's actually from the moons of St John's World, but it doesn't say that.....they could just be siphoning coolant water and selling it for easy money on the side.

(I'm actually having this as an easter-egg in SM&M++. The actual item gets a revised description that states the origin....and I'm adding a level 2 illegal item that's the counterfeit version made from the coolant lines. They're actually the same thing though: the water used in Starton Eridani would probably come from the moons of St. John's World)

Corporate Factories are actually massive counterfeiting workshops

...how else do items supposedly only made on Earth mysteriously appear after people give them stuff? Especially when you're giving them organic chemicals, hydrogen, and catalysts (eg. palladium) and they come out with fine wines and liquor from 'very exclusive vineyards on earth'. Suuuuuure. And they don't even have regular shipments of supplies for their work...they just buy from random people. That's not a sign of a reputable manufacturer.

Katami is/was a Syndikat member

The arena makes no logical sense without organised crime being involved...there is no way it could make any money and avoid getting shut down given the amount of death and carnage involved (ok in reality there's probably a whole industrial sector in that system besides the arena but it's not ingame or in lore). So most of the matches are scripted so the Syndikat can launder money and generally mess with betting...and Katami's an important but fairly low-level part of it. People like him set up the matches and give advice, so he can determine who lives and who dies, in exchange for bribes from the Syndies......but when the Pilgrim starts doing well (or maybe even before then. Maybe he's been planning this all along?), Katami decides to game the system and try to carve out a bit more for himself. Eventually, he gets close enough that he might just manage it, so the Syndikat kidnap him and try to blackmail the player.

(Or maybe they don't. Kate Morgental's the one who tells you about this.....hmmm.............*prepares tinfoil hat*....which could mean that she's trying to power-play the Syndikat as well, or is in on Katami's plan through her past ties to him.)
Shrike (in RegDev Thread) wrote:The manticore is actually a fake (or partly so)

The manticore the player flies in the Corporate Command shares only a name and a sprite with the actual ship. It turns slower, accelerates slower, and is generally terrible. But why? Well, let's see the equipment. It has a Burak launcher....but no Uzon scanner. And you can't buy them. So the headcanon I came up with in IRC: the ship is at least partly a knock-off bought at discount price, and the Uzon is actually a ship component, not a device in and of itself. Normally it'd be installed....but not in this case.

AssumedPseudonym expanded on this by noting that the biggest Burak users are the Curators.....noted counterfeiters who use ships made by Makayev....and their Buraks don't track either. So it's possible that the playership is actually a curator-built/modified fake.

Edit: Also from me later on...the curators do fake starship parts in canon as well! True, they're faked to look old when they're not...but it's not that big a stretch.
AssumedPseudonym (In reply to the post above) wrote: The above works, but what I actually said was, the Curators wound up getting a bunch of counterfeit ships, since their Troglavs and Lihkos don’t have tracking on their Burak launchers. They got into the business of pushing fake antiques for revenge. ^.~
(Left out: Bunch of stuff about Zubrin and the like because it's late and I'm tired and my arm hurts, bunch of stuff that's too reg-dev to port over, 50 billion different ideas about Microsaurs™)

(Edit: And yes, you can thank the regdev headcanon thread for the 'make more stuff happen with Microsaurs' ticket/thread a while back. We'd be here all year if we started talking Microsaurs and didn't chain Wolfy in a basement or something)
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The aforementioned Zubrin snippet:
AssumedPseudonym wrote: Zubrin
 Zubrin makes the Sapphire, sure, but what else to they make? Cockpit displays! I mean, just look at the reactor displays for not just the vanilla playerships, but the CC and EP playerships — and practically every playership in every mod ever made. Look at the XML and “&rsZubrinReactor” will almost invariably be in there.
 Sorta makes you wonder what other ubiquitous starship components they might make. The Nova series of reactors? (It does ZubrinReactor, after all!) Maybe the various ROMs? (If they do cockpit displays, it would sort of make sense that they would make the SRS enhancement.) How about even some of the more basic stuff like erbium rods or cerium electrodes? (They have to make those reactors and ROMs out of something.) Maybe they just figured that, since they make so many other parts for a starship, they should try their hands at actually making one of their own!

…Actually, this one about one-quarter serious, given that reactors, ROMs, and erbium rods (and various other components) don’t have a manufacture listed, and it would be an excuse to get Zubrin mentioned more than just as the Sapphire’s manufacturer…
Shrike wrote:I'm more concerned that, given the way ships explode in this setting (see: CDM overload hack) and how the Huygens crew talk about deliberate overloads, Nova series reactors are apparently named after what happens when they go wrong.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote:Penitent Cannons suck for a reason
Am I the only one that actually fears those things? My gameplay is almost entirely based around armor resistance, so that may be a major factor, but they're generally the only things capable of threatening me in midgame other than annoyed Black Market stations(how I wish they were capable of running out of Molotoks so I could fight them on even ground). In any case, I'll take this opportunity to throw my own idea out there:

The powers used by hyperintelligences require a willing consciousness to emanate from

Given that every power they field expands outward from the point of the one calling them in, this would make sense. It would also explain why Oracus doesn't just reverse the direction of the harass power and spawn one atop the player's ship, and why Domina doesn't retaliate against the player when they destroy Sisters stations. Next, it provides an explanation for why an automatic version of the first power is the single most devotion - intensive ability in the game. Even saving one's life without their direct request requires an incredibly strong connection to achieve. Finally, it would indicate why Domina places such a premium on slaves and +soul items. It'd also explain why the Penitent cannons work for the player and can be analysed by Dvalin - they're technology Oracus put inside their minds, like the Chimeras, rather than a direct use of Oracus's power.

The warping of minds, like that used to inspire the engineer behind the Chimeras, is far smaller in scale than the creation of a non - newtonian blastwave around the ship, and thus could be carried out with only the support of a few subconscious desires.

On the subject of Hornets, wasn't it confirmed that they were built for the Syrtian war? I vaguely remember this, but forgot where I heard it. I think it came out around the time of the news of a defunct UAS, so it may have since been removed from canon.

Also, anyone got theories on the Light and the Swan? I'd be interested in what people could come up with there.

Finally, a question for Shrike: Would a list of factions and what we know about them be a good thing to add to the top of the thread? Should faction speculating remain in the other thread, or should be bring it over here, too?
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Iocrym evolved from an aquatic species? Their two ships seen in Heretic looks very much like shrimps and a jellyfish. All their structures are transparent blue, perhaps a tradition originated from camouflage attempts. Their weaponry focuses on insane amount of damage while sacrificing range, because underwater long-range aiming would be impossible without guidance system. All their long-ranged weapons are tracking missiles like the Quantum Sphere.

Then again, they have Cocoon shield. Maybe an aquatic butterfly of sorts?
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This is pretty minor, but I always imagine the player as donning a spacesuit before boarding wrecked ships and stations. Considering you just blasted a hole in it and its probably subject to the vacuum of space in most places, that would make sense.

As for the bit when you board destroyed Teraton stations and sniff the walls, well, I just ignore that. You're allowed to with headcanon.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:This is pretty minor, but I always imagine the player as donning a spacesuit before boarding wrecked ships and stations. Considering you just blasted a hole in it and its probably subject to the vacuum of space in most places, that would make sense.

As for the bit when you board destroyed Teraton stations and sniff the walls, well, I just ignore that. You're allowed to with headcanon.
Either that or we're a futuristic descendent of Batman and can breath in space.

Watson<- Headcanon about factions is cool here, but I'm not too keen to have a full list on the OP unless I have to (because it's long and takes forever to compile).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Helios is pulling a Red October.

It'd explain why of her ship's massive crew complement, she only ever fields 6 Centurions, and they don't even attack the player half the time - most of her troops are completely unaware of her betrayal.

Of course, this makes destroying the Antarctica incredibly depressing. I could stand to off a few thousand sympathizers of genocidal cultists, especially if they'd rather try to kill me than surrender, but under this hypothesis most of the people we're killing are on the same side as we are. Of course, there are players who lure Ferian warriors to CW stations, so I suppose I may be in the minority for trying to avoid killing innocents...

I would also posit semi - seriously that Helios has relatives in the CW parliament, and that's how she got her position. Picking a fight against a gunship that outranges all of your defenses and can crack your armor in seconds is just plain insanity, as is not taking the opportunity to shoot someone who walks into your ship and states that he intends to kill you. For that matter, trusting a group that not more than a few years ago tried to slaughter billions of civilians and are attacking refugee convoys as we speak on their word alone isn't exactly smart. There's no way she could've survived working her way up through the ranks as the player does.

Now, something on Decker - he's been influenced by Domina to build the Lamplighter.

It's far and away the most advanced weapon a human has made, but it has no real use for the Fleet. He says he plans to put them on Aquilae, but I don't see the role they'd fill there. The missile launcher they currently field is much better at attacking squadrons of gunships, and is the only reason they can effectively raid Ares stations without taking crippling damage from their turrets. I believe it's even better against capital ships! While power creep may have something to do with this, the only real use it's ever held for the player is taking down the ICS. Thus, I'd suggest that Domina was playing the same game with those behind the lamplighter as the entity that influenced the creator of the Chimeras did.

The Xenophobes are afraid of actual Xenos

They attack every faction that's far out enough to help a pilgrim make it out of the QZ, either by refueling them or providing them with weaponry that could crack the ICS. They also show up in Heretic, bring an entire fleet, including a population center, in order to steal an artifact that could help breach the quarantine.

Domina is using the QZ as an improvised eugenics program.

It's hinted that she established the QZ. On the assumption that it's the same Domina calling the player and ordering the construction of the QZ, the best explanation I can think of is that she's trying out her own version of natural selection. This is contested by the fact that there are humans outside the QZ, but divergent evolution is always a possibility, especially with the appearance of bioengineering. It's possible they aren't the same sort of human, or that she is looking for the best minds rather than the best humans, and humanity just happens to have a set of traits that makes us optimal for whatever her purposes are.

In addition to having to fight through the Quarantine, QZ humans face limits on space and resources that no other race would have to deal with, resulting in vastly more war and disease. Thus, I would expect that the QZ humans are significantly more oriented towards (and resilient against) violence than an ordinary spacefaring species would be.

There will be a time gap between part 1 and part 2

George mentioned the Fleet, CH, and other factions going out beyond the QZ. Given how long it takes to build a Korolov station, I don't see us encountering any QZ - based factions' stations out there without a substantial delay.

If the player goes against Domina, her trump card is their lack of sleep.

The player doesn't sleep at all in the game. Though even today we're researching means of allowing soldiers to carry on without sleep, crew fatigue is said to still be a problem, so it can be implied that that did not succeed in Transcendence's continuity. That leaves Domina's influence. Assuming Domina's help is what allows the player to survive without sleep(and possibly food, beyond the QZ) for months on end, betrayal could leave the player in a very bad place physiologically.

Ferians have a reputation for unjustified rampages

It'd explain why friendly stations help you kill them rather than just leaving you to your fate.

The Ringers have lobbyists in the CW government.

Simply, the Ringers aren't good allies to the Commonwealth. They sell them ore it costs them nothing to produce at a rate that is bankrupting them, they hire humans to risk their lives defending their stations and often enough kill them with their own weaponry, and they see no problem having their Ferians set up shop in areas where they interfere with anti - piracy efforts, not to mention taking ore that rightfully belongs to the CW and CH. The Ranx would have provided a much better trading partner and ally to the CW, but rather than allying with them(or addressing their interests before the secession) they ignored their fairly reasonable requests(keep the Teratons, who do little other than steal and trade in stolen weapons, at bay, enforce mining territories, protect their own citizens from harm), allowing a harsh dictatorship to flourish. There had to be some manner of Ringer hand in this set of events; especially considering that the Ranx would have represented a considerable amount of the CW's population.

Hyperintelligences' manipulation only works on the strong minded

The list of the people they've canonically influenced is made up of a brilliant scientist and a series of pilgrims, each of which has exceptional qualities. As less - intelligent people are more likely to second guess themselves(hence why cults target smart people), and the manipulation of entities by Domina, Oracus and the rest appears to be of a less than perfect mind control variety, it's possible that they only have good success rates with people too confident in themselves to question their own actions.

Either that or we're a futuristic descendent of Batman and can breath in space.
I always assumed we used a robotic arm or something to extract supplies, and that we could smell things through some manner of smell - o - vision. The tech to output smells exists today, so I don't see why we couldn't invent a means of taking them in and communicating them to a user.

That'd leave the question of why the player doesn't turn it off, though.

Another request for headcanon - the Scarab suicide run. Are they Ares that took over a ship? Are they CW personnel that have been brainwashed or blackmailed by the Ares?
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Sleeping

While Domina can prevent the player and other pilgrims from having to sleep or eat, this is not so for ordinary (neo)humans. This is why they all fly suicide runs into dwarf stars or pirate strongholds and why ships keep circling and trying to fire even when they're out of ammo. Their pilots are too busy stuffing their faces or catching some beauty sleep and just left everything on autopilot!
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is an old one from 1.0 based on the neurohack mission in Heretic. I don't believe the AI's answers have changed.

Oracus is really Domina. More specifically, the entity the Iocrym know as Domina is the entity humanity knows as Oracus.

Iocrym Domina is behind the Iocrym plan to sterilize the QZ with a supernova. Human Oracus is trying to exterminate humanity just like Iocrym Domina. Human Domina is trying to break the quarantine. The Iocrym fear some unspecified threat escaping the QZ.

It's you. You are the alien intelligence controlling a pilgrim who progresses from mere murderhobo to genocidehobo somewhere in Ares space. Okay, maybe not quite that meta, but the player character is the vessel for the power the established galactic civilization fears.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Atarlost wrote:This is an old one from 1.0 based on the neurohack mission in Heretic.
What we need is to get every single line of information regarding Domina, Oracus, the Iocrym, and their followers, then list them all into groups and sub groups and draw conclusions from that.

If George really knows where he's going with this story then he probably dropped some sort of hint somewhere, even if he didn't know it.
It could be the location of the information, if it comes in the form of dialogue, a mixed up pronoun, literally anything. We need to comb every single letter and also consider the fact that George himself said that the player is an unreliable narrator, meaning that perhaps not everything is true in how you see it as the player, it may, in fact, be symbolic in some way.

Get started people, we haven't much time. Oh woops, I forgot, George won't be out with Part 2 until sometime next millenia, we have plenty of time.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Oh, remembered another one

The CSC Terra, in Eternity Port, can be found in the Near Stars, rather than in the Outer Realm. I took this to mean that the Commonwealth has been pushed further back by the Ares since the events of SOtP.

Of course, this is kind of based on the timeline putting the dot for EP just a bit ahead of SOtP on the timeline, which may or may not actually indicate that it takes in the near future.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I recall that George has planned to combine Eternity Port into the main adventure, so they apparently take place at the same time. Could be subject to change, but the encounters with Volkov, Rama, and Jenna, as well as the LL scientists and ROM, in addition to the Terra's conversation text, suggest this as well.

Luminous is attacking in order to prepare humanity, rather than its stated intention of 'protecting' us through integration

Luminous could easily have built up a massive fleet simply by taking control of a few less contested systems, not bothered anyone or provoked a response, and then rushed the rest of human space. However, it instead chose to set up a single capital system just outside of human - controlled territory, deploy a set of drones that are invulnerable to outdated forms of human weaponry, and press into important human - controlled systems. In addition, it created a human and then simply let it rebel(initially, I assumed Lilith would be a double agent simply because of how unlikely it would be for her to just escape the most fortified system in the game without the consent of the entity governing it), running off with the knowledge of how to take on Luminous. It's surprising that it would create her at all when there are plenty of normal humans out there that are easily expendable and don't have innate knowledge of how to hack into an AI.

Luminous's tactics are highly uncharacteristic of an entity fighting to win, but are optimal for something trying to set up a training fight. It discouraged humans from slacking in weapons development, provided them with a new and unconventional enemy to research, and gave them a powerful genetically modified soldier that is apparently fully loyal to her species. For all we know, the core itself was a hoax, and Luminous remains distributed across its various Assemblers.

The Svarog is a failed design

Lacking the armor, shielding, or speed to survive combat with a Phobos, it was rejected by the CW Fleet, which decided its many flaws left it not worth the logistical costs of compromising their gunship - based strategic doctrine. Anton Nasser, seeing an opportunity, purchased the prototype model, noting that while it was outclassed in warfare, it could easily be used for shock and awe tactics against pirates, raiders, outlaws, and other non - military factions that the CHOC was likely to face. Not used to taking on military - grade capital ships, and often unable to acquire the weapons needed to even damage the Svarog's armor, these groups would be completely incapable of threatening Anton's objectives.
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:I recall that George has planned to combine Eternity Port into the main adventure, so they apparently take place at the same time. Could be subject to change, but the encounters with Volkov, Rama, and Jenna, as well as the LL scientists and ROM, in addition to the Terra's conversation text, suggest this as well.
Keep in mind though, you can complete SOtP without doing any of that. Since Heretic doesn't appear in EP at all yet, there's still room to assume that the pilgrim has already cleared out the system and the quarantine has already been broken. Since breaking the quarantine is the only requirement to beat the game in SOtP, this is the only definite indicator, which we don't get to see.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Very true, but George doesn't seem the type to give a definite answer on what the Pilgrim does. Of course, none of these things are programmed in intentionally, so it's definitely not certain when EP is truly taking place, and it's possible they'll be altered in the future.

I will, however, find it hilarious if it does become canon that the Pilgrim is a speedrunner.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've always imagined the player as some super strong guy. After all, the player can magically lift devices that weigh thousands of kilograms to his ship.

Unless of course, he always has his automatic lifter handy.