'Scatter' squadron command

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think someone had brought this up before, but still, it seems to deserve another go: let us have a 'scatter' command for wingmen and autons. Sometimes you stumble upon something your wingmen absolutely cannot survive, such as a Phobos. Jenna can barely outrun one, and no wingmen know to properly dodge. Instead of needing to lead them away while trying to weave your ship and theirs out of the APA's way, make a handy scatter command that send wingmen fleeing away at right angles so they don't cluster around the player's ship and become a bigger target as a whole. Preferably, have them weave about a bit too. And make sure they don't run straight into enemies.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Better a 'RETREAT' command, in which they retreat to the nearest friendly military encampment or if that is not available then to the stargate.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That'd make all your wingmen fly in the same direction, becoming a bigger target, which is what I want to avoid. Scattering is safer, and I think also easier to implement.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

They will fly straight anyway. Easy to snipe.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yeah, that is good idea. But I think it should called "Retreat' like above this reply.
I also suggest additional command like "Return to repair", ordering wingmans to go station nearby that have repair service.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yup. It would need a massive AI tweak in part of George. Coz they will fly straight for now. And no NPC that flies straight can escape those Phobos's Ion gun i like to call 'flash shredder.'.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

In practice, enemy AI almost always target the player, so even if the wingmen flee straight, they will not be under fire unless they flee with the player.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I have experience that enemies with more than 2 weapons balance btw player and allies.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Only if the ally attacked the enemy recently, or is closer to the enemy than the player and the player has not attacked the enemy too much recently.

The second occurs frequently when players try to guide their wingmen away from threats. They tend to lag behind the player and thus become the target. If the player turns and fight, the wingmen stay and will soon die, because they were still targeted.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

According to combat styles, the Auton has basically a NoRetreat AI : unless it is a M1, which is known for pulling off target and recharging shields like the ( forgot the name of the ship ) ...

Britannia

anyway,
the "NoFollowNavPath" ( used on Mules, always check your latest Mule for the latest AI order ) would let the ship break loose of the grid. Then you can get some interesting flying out of it.

To seek repair stations are in the wingmen scripts, not exactly an Auton thing, the Player is responsible for the auton's integrity.

I personally wanted to do a 'Break where the Autons or wingmen would get away from the PlayerShip to reduce Target size, stop your Autons from causing trouble or
lower the casualty counts when dealing with high value targets.
However, I never did get one done. :(

What they would need is a Rally Point :
so they are sent off to a destination.
Once you have them set to create a Rally Point upon entering a system, you can order them to Rally ( or 'Scatter ) and they each fly off to their individually generated Rally Points.

So, to ReCap : like the Mule, they should not follow Nav Paths,
And upon entering a system they should generate a Rally Point for that system ( and 'Clear the Rally Point upon 'Gate of the Auton, not the Player )

Problems seen :
the Rally Point might be chosen nearest a Friendly ( making them go in the same direction )

The Rally Point might be near a Hostile station to the Auton , if not toward the Player ( like a station the Player might have made Angry )

Best option : upon entering system use the Miner's code to place the Rally Point, let the cards fall where they must.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..