A NEW IDEA! : THE DUEL!

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

WOW! As it known in this game who play more is in great advantage in case of war! NOw I have found the solution to this matter!

THE DUEL!

2 PLAYERS MUST AGREE about the amount of time they will dedicate to the war.

They can decide for example to dedicate 1h in a day to the attack and then stop.
They will decide to fight until the death or they will establish the numbers of attack they want to do and in the end they will count their planets to know who is the winner (the player that has lost less planets)

What can assure that they will honor the DUEL AGREEMENT? Nothing. Only the honor!

Help me to enhance this idea in a pragmatic way. I think is possible and funny!
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

While I like the spirit of the idea, I don't think honor is the most binding of agreements in a game where very few people know each other in person and nobody is playing moderator.*

If Lord Reason were to make this a sub-function of the Galactic Territory Exchange, then we might have something to build on...

*not to sound paranoid or anything, but my past experiences aren't the most heartening...
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Unless this is enforced as the only way to fight wars it's not going to mean anything. If it is, many people will refuse to agree to any war at all, which will result in a galaxy clogged with defenseless but unassailable troll empires.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:mrgreen: well if you refuse the duel this doesn-t mean that you can-t be attacked
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Aureo-Oreo
Miner
Miner

catfighter wrote: *not to sound paranoid or anything, but my past experiences aren't the most heartening...
Hahahaha

Okay, but the duel's honor thing /is/ a bit thin for a safety net. Even without a moderator if everyone ganged up on someone they usually could win. So that could be a publicized guarantee.
I took a calculated risk, but man, am I bad at math.
pirx
Miner
Miner

The ancient art of Kanly is still practiced by some, I hear. The rules would have to be enforced by convention of the powers that actually could do something about it.

A possible sanction short of conquering planets could be to attack defenses and fleets of offenders. Not sure if that leads to unrest, but the main advantage is that conquering planets would just be messy.

The agreement to duel might also have to include a third, nominally neutral party, to observe and judge.

Another possible convention could be to not use jumpfleets against other players. Jumpfleets are in my opinion the equivalent to nuclear missiles, so that the game basically leads to all of the strategies of the cold war, such a first strike capability countered by mutually assured destruction. Which is just a bad thing because in this situation everybody needs a NORAD manned 24/7.

So no jumpfleets would be to follow some of the self imposed rules that Frank Herbert made up to have wars fought mostly by people in Dune.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

whoa! Also Pirx is a link to some shi/fi book isnt it? I like your ideas
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
pirx
Miner
Miner

Finnian wrote:whoa! Also Pirx is a link to some shi/fi book isnt it? I like your ideas
Pirx is the main character in a series of stories and books by Stanislaw Lem, following his career from space cadet Pirx, over captain of a freight rocket on the Earth-Mars route to exploring Titan in the book 'Fiasco'.