Any mods you would recommend for a newbie?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Duskhorizon
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hello just got into this game and I really like it :) I heard about it from reddit post and op mentioned lots of modding potential. I want to ask what are best, compatible for newest version mods you would recommend? I know i probably should play Vanilla 1st but I like to play games complex as they can be from the start. Any suggestions? :)
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There are so many mod that giving recommendations is hard, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Do you want extra (player) ships?
Do you want your game to become harder? easier?
Do you want extra weapons/devices/stuff?
Do you want to increase the number of star systems to visit, or rather not?
Do you intent to go source diving so you can make your own mods?
Do you want the universe to be more dynamic?

I would at least include:
Trade Assistant because it is useful, really small and easy to learn from
Parallax Worlds 3.1 because it gives a lot more visual depth to your 2.5D space universe.

Oh, and don't forget to visit the Multiverse Catalog to pick up your freebies.

Cheers,
Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
YairHunter
Anarchist
Anarchist

Scuttle Shipwrecks- Gives you the ability to easily destroy uninteresting wrecks.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1362

Empty Wrecks Explode- ...Wrecks without loot explode on their own.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=811

Trading Post Menu- When ordering something from a corporate trading post, you can see what they have and how many of each item you can order at once. Just enter the empty field to see the whole list.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1160

Hints Shown- Provides some information that would otherwise be hidden, like the effects of giving something to the Sisters of Domina or a Teraton fabricator.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1066

Ship Log- Keeps records, such as all the items you saw in stores, and where you saw them.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=773

Relief Pack- http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=898

120 Facings Ships- Gives 120 facings to most NPC ships, who otherwise have 20 or 40 facings.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1418
Duskhorizon
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thank You very much :)

I already installed both you recommended and they are great (specially Parallax Worlds 3.1 - since it's really make game better looking)

I installed also Dynamic Systems V6.c - i hope this make game more "alive" :) Of course i also got free official add-ons

If anyone have something else in mind don't be shy and post it please :)

To make it easier I will specify what I'm looking for mostly
- Yep
Do you want the universe to be more dynamic?
- Yep
Do you want extra weapons/devices/stuff?
- Why not if that won't make balance suffer

Also some kind of mods that make mining more interesting/easier/something - would be nice

Thank You for all answers :)

edit: when I was writing that post there was no YairHunter's one - thank You for this contribution also mate
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Duskhorizon wrote:
- Yep
In that case, Beyond the Mainline is you best bet.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shameless self-promotion...

See my signature for my best mods.

Playership Drones allows you to acquire more ships, and possibly pilot them. Also offers more starter ships.
Star Castle Arcade if you want to play an arcade game on the Transcendence engine, or add bonus ships to the main game.

Or just visit this topic, click on the links, and download as many as you want.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
alibegoa
Anarchist
Anarchist

Any mod around that allows use of more than default number of device slots?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

alibegoa wrote:Any mod around that allows use of more than default number of device slots?
That'd be a playership mod, and a fairly simple one to create. Just take a player ship you like from the main Transcendence source, and alter the device slot parameter to be as high as you like. I believe the relevant parameter is called 'maxDevices'.

Alternatively, you could take the devices you want and set their slot usage to 0, though that's more difficult.

If you don't want to write any code, you could always get G.O.D. mod, and use their no - frills install function to bypass the slot requirement. That mod comes with other fun things, too, like the ability to spawn ships, order around NPCs, and destroy things without shooting at them.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote:That'd be a playership mod, and a fairly simple one to create. Just take a player ship you like from the main Transcendence source, and alter the device slot parameter to be as high as you like. I believe the relevant parameter is called 'maxDevices'.
 Setting maxDevices to 0 or less will allow you to install however many devices you want or at least it used to back around 1.2 or so; I haven’t tested whether that’s changed in recent updates.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
alibegoa
Anarchist
Anarchist

The ship is Osaka and I'd like to set maxDevices=0.
From what is written this should be fairly easy to do, but you have me all lost.
Is there a file in Transcendence game directory that I can just edit?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

alibegoa wrote:The ship is Osaka and I'd like to set maxDevices=0.
From what is written this should be fairly easy to do, but you have me all lost.
Is there a file in Transcendence game directory that I can just edit?
Get the standalone version from Xelerus, open the XML in notepad, and set maxDevices to the value you'd like it to have. Then save and exit out.

The new setting should work the next time you run Transcendence.

Not sure if the Xelerus and multiverse versions work well together or not, though.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Duskhorizon wrote:Also some kind of mods that make mining more interesting/easier/something - would be nice
Try QuickLootOre, OreScanningProgram and NamedOre on xelerus. All updated for 1.6

(Note to PM: sometimes mined ore vanishes instead of floating away from the asteroid.)

NoDockNavBeacons is good IMO.

Also SystemDensity and StargateDockNGo but these need modding to get them to work right with 1.6. (Request to the writers to update these, please :) )
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Alright.

Parallax Worlds +1

SM&M++ +1

PSD +1

Enemy Wrecks Explode +1

Ship Log +1

TSOP HD +1

Beyond the Mainline +1

Dynamic Systems +1
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

relanat wrote: (Note to PM: sometimes mined ore vanishes instead of floating away from the asteroid.)
Does ore pop out then disappear, or does no ore pop out at all? Standard mining equipment does not have 100% efficiency, a little ore can get lost. In other words, you may get less ore than what the scan says. This happens even with just pods and no mods.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:Does ore pop out then disappear, or does no ore pop out at all?
No ore pops out at all. But oops :oops: , it a normal thing. I haven't mined without mods for a couple of versions now. And I still hadn't tried pods so I gave vanilla 1.6 a go and found that it happens without mods.

About 1 in 10 times when you are using a mining laser on an asteroid and there is only "1 ton of ore" left, the indicator vanishes without getting a blob of mined ore. The less than 100% efficiency explains it. My bad.

Sincere apologies for casting aspersions on your mods. Wanders off whipping himself with a "cat o' 9 USB cables" as penance.

Also hint to everyone: It is preferable if friendly stations are not inside the detonation radius of your pods. Ouch.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!