Troll's attacks

General discussion for the game Anacreon
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Guys, I am victim of a troll. Someone named Medusa is attacking me. He conquers some planet, than he press the abdication button and he respawns again ready to attack again, and again..

This way of thinking can destroy my empire. I can-t do nothing.
The only thing I can do is to do the same.

I can maybe create another account with an empire with might 0 in order to defend me. What do you think about it?
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:mrgreen: I have decided the most incredible strategy.

ABDICATION AND RESTART!
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
pirx
Miner
Miner

Oh my, what happened? The Finnian empire will be sorely missed. The new neighbor is already moving in, will probably rename all the planets in the most unimaginative way I can imagine. Except for that one sector capital next to one of my clusters which I could swear was not called 'War Footing' yesterday. One should give credit where it is due.

Anyway, Finnian, if you want I can clear neutral defenses in your new neighborhood. Also it is possible with some good timing to transfer fleets between empires. That troll attacked me too and i would love to see it slain whereever it pops up. I have some eldritches and exotroops to spare.
pirx
Miner
Miner

Ah it would have to be few more Eldritches than I thought. The troll, Medusa, just laid its hands on some 170000 Adamants. They definitely were not on the newly spawned capital yesterday, and I don't think they were build in the meantime, especially not on the post industrial world were they are parked. They were either captured or transferred by another empire (via capture with good timing). I won't rule out the possibility that there was an undefended Boycott sector capital and a jumpyard with the Adamants defected, but virtually all of the ex Boycott planets I have taken over had >1000 Defiances on them and the Law and Order doctrine of of Boycott should result in masses of Imperial guards on the sector capitals.

Last time I brought up the possibility that a big empire uses alternative accounts to attack my infrastructure, I have been called paranoid. For context that situation was followed by a large scale invasion by the 'Human Empire', which just preceded the (provoked) attack by the Barricades pact. The timing was no coincidence since that Human Empire had a spy in the pact.

Being paranoid does't mean they are not out there to get you. Interestingly, I was called paranoid by the forum account that later identified as spying in the barricades pact for the Human Empire. Now I said it in the past, the spy and the Human Empire were most likely controlled by the same person. So much easier to create several accounts than to hire minions to do your evil bidding.

Some of the above history can be read here:

http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=30
Attachments
medusa_adamants.png
medusa_adamants.png (209.08 KiB) Viewed 10321 times
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

That is one of the most cruel strategies I've ever seen!!! I suspect it is someone who has played Anacreon previously because it looks like they know the mechanics of the game very well.

Yes, your empire will missed greatly by everyone. Finnian, what is the name of your new empire? If you want, I can send lots of warphants for you to take.

"Together, we can destroy this :evil: "
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Don't worry about the old Finnian Empire, ty for your friendly expressions :D I had in mind a restart from a very long time.
I have decided to do it yesterday because I can't accept to be the entertainment tool for an unfair idiot.

Lord Human\strongestnerd is a smart player with an enormous ammount of style and I loved his cheats even when them were intended to produce damage against the pact. His inventiveness assured to everybody a lot of fun and teached us many things about what can happend in this wonderful game.

I think that Medusa has a different kind of impropriety, an evil kind of impropriety that I have never seen in the galaxy before.

Now I am a simple galactic miner! I will be a little empire for a lot of time
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
pirx
Miner
Miner

Well take care, there is a 3 planet empire out there which likes attacking the Finnian empire and has now enough power to destroy you.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:mrgreen: I will respawn again and again
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
WorldsStrongestNerd
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

My ears were burning so I decided to chime in. It's true that I am an underhanded and sneaky galactic warlord, but I've nothing to do with Medusa, and I'm shocked that Finn sundenly abdicated. Next time Finn I would suggest creating a second small empire to deal with troll attacks. That or hiring one of the smaller empires to do some anti piracy in exchange for territory or ships. In any case since Medusa is an annoying threat to all the larger and medium sized empires I think they are going to meed a bad end soon.
gc2
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

It seems that this event brings forth two very old issues
1. The game mechanics need to enable empires to defend themselves better
2. Leftover ships and resources on neutral planets should be cleared
But I also think this can influence gameplay positively in that
1. It reminds empires to be constantly on guard. If you take a planet, you need to seriously think about defending it, if not from major powers, then from these guerrilla empires. I think this adds another layer of depth to empire building and can greatly contribute to reducing galactic sprawl, where empires should be smaller but more robust, rather than expanding everywhere.
2. I think this is a very interesting interaction between major powers and smaller empires. Established empires who do not want to go for all out war can "hire" these privateers to harass their opponents.

I guess in the meantime those with the power to do so should go around and destroy ships parked on independent worlds so that they cannot be inherited.
pirx
Miner
Miner

I don't believe that these Adamants were inherited. I checked the empire tally of the Medusa capital a few minutes after the capital spawned to see what was inherited, and I don't think I would have overlooked such forces. They must have been captured, either by a defecting planet or by the Adamant fleet arriving in orbit just before conquering transports touch down.

The sentient behind Core, Lord Beatlejuice assures me that the Adamants came into possession of Medusa by capturing, but states that he does not know how so many could have been captured. Of course the numbers don't really matter for capturing.

Or anything else since I took the liberty to reduce their numbers to 0.
Wayward Device
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

gc2 wrote:It seems that this event brings forth two very old issues
1. The game mechanics need to enable empires to defend themselves better
2. Leftover ships and resources on neutral planets should be cleared
But I also think this can influence gameplay positively in that
1. It reminds empires to be constantly on guard. If you take a planet, you need to seriously think about defending it, if not from major powers, then from these guerrilla empires. I think this adds another layer of depth to empire building and can greatly contribute to reducing galactic sprawl, where empires should be smaller but more robust, rather than expanding everywhere.
2. I think this is a very interesting interaction between major powers and smaller empires. Established empires who do not want to go for all out war can "hire" these privateers to harass their opponents.

I guess in the meantime those with the power to do so should go around and destroy ships parked on independent worlds so that they cannot be inherited.
Inheritance of remnant units has lead to some interesting political drama in the past. When both the old Human Empire and Bosmalia Caps were inherited by new players many of the established powers were in a state of panic because these unknowns (who soon collapsed due to lack of experience) suddenly had 300,000-400,000 Gorgos.

I recently came up with a strategy to render the galaxy uninhabitable, where I would slowly seize all trillum worlds, dump 100,000 Gorgos on them and then make them rebel. Instant 2.5 million space power garrison on an independent world. But it would be both extremely evil and tedious.

Most of the major powers are actually pretty badly defended and always have been. I think I'm the only one who goes nuts for spreading around starships to every world. Almost every big empire has relied on the threat of a giant jumpfleet as their primary defense. Planetary defenses are only enough to stop the fleet of an empire with less than 30 worlds AND they cost 5-15% productivity. But even a measly 2000 Gorgos will keep a planet safe from up to 66,000 Eldritchs. 20,000 Gorgos will stop anything up to 660,000 Eldritchs. But most people don't want to spend 40 mins a week to use starships for defense.

All this is why first strikes have historically been so effective, even from smaller empires. The same lesson has been taught again and again. Just look at the astonishing reach of Hail Henry while his kingdom lasted. Anyone who knows how to churn out even a small jumpfleet can poke hole in all the undefended or underdefended worlds of any big power.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

There are now 3 Great Powers left; the Republic, the Felor, and the Terrans. I say we experiment with how well a blitzkreig could work, how effective retaliation to one would be, and if an empire can even survive one, regardless of retaliation measures.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
pirx
Miner
Miner

Hehehe, that course of events was not entirely unexpected. Someone very obviously had quite the new years party while I was out. Medusa captured a few tens of my planets, probably mostly undefended for various reasons.

Well as I pointed out in the recent posts, I don't believe there is any viable defense strategy against this kind of attack, especially as fleets can be transferred between two active empires by exploiting defection. I can only repeat, I am convinced that this is what was going on, not inheritance.

I do not have the time to play this kind of game so I will let my empire fall to ruins, unless, of course, it is destroyed by another empire. I believe that to be favorable to new players by preventing large empires to rush in and take over my ex-planets en masse.

I will however take care of the inheritance problem this time. With Bismalia I was not aware of the auto-abdictation from not logging in and I (halfheartedly) apologize for any inconvenience my capital defense ships might have caused ( that must have been quite the excitement).
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would try to email George directly on this.