Blender Lessons Sessions

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in learning Blender to make ship graphics, I'm considering running a regular stream to help people get their bearing with the program and start making their own models. Since Blender is a particularly complex program, I don't think I could cover everything well enough in a written tutorial.

How it would work:

Those who are interested would meet in either a Skype group, or a Google + hangout (though I would prefer Skype). I would share my screen, and go over building a model. Since its a live call, anyone would be able to ask questions or get help in specific areas (taking over the screen share if neccesary).

Sessions would last probably at least an hour - I suspect that we could dedicate and entire session just to getting used to the program (and a good chunk of every stream would probably involve this). As well, if we go with a skype group you'd be able to get a hold of me even for minor stuff outside of sessions.

Let me know if you're interested, if you're capable of using Skype, and what time frame would work for you (be sure to include your timezone)
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Unfortunately I've got neither a Skype nor a Google+ account, but I'd definitely watch the videos if they were uploaded on Youtube or streamed on Twitch.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Interested just give a time.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Assuming I can get Skype to work on a group call — and the Linux version has been particularly bitchy about this of late — I’d happily show up. Like RPC said, just gimme a day and time.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:Unfortunately I've got neither a Skype nor a Google+ account, but I'd definitely watch the videos if they were uploaded on Youtube or streamed on Twitch.
I'm not going to be recording or using Twitch, since I don't really have the hardware for it.
AssumedPseudonym wrote: Like RPC said, just gimme a day and time.
It probably won't be a regular set-time every week, since I would want to get as many people in at a time (going over the basics over and over would be tiring).

Let's say tomorrow at 1pm (PST) we'll give it a try. My skype is "digital-terror", so anyone who wants in can add me and I'll get the group started. If we need to do it earlier/later then we'll coordinate in the group chat.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I have Skype and Blender :D but how unfortunate and frustating that I don't have a PC :/

I can be in any session that is to be hosted in June, taking notes.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If you have a modern GPU Xeph, like an AMD Rx 200/300 or NVIDIA 700/900, you can use the Gaming Evolved or Shadowclaw apps to record :)

And there is always FRAPS (+ WMM ) + Handbrake compression!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I've created the group chat - You can join whenever you like.

https://join.skype.com/uUxsimAh6MpF
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:I've created the group chat - You can join whenever you like.

https://join.skype.com/uUxsimAh6MpF
Sweet!
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

going over the basics over and over would be tiring
Is it ok to record the voiceover + desktop share on skype? I can record my screen (but with bad quality though). That way people have a reference.
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

RPC wrote:
going over the basics over and over would be tiring
Is it ok to record the voiceover + desktop share on skype? I can record my screen (but with bad quality though). That way people have a reference.
Screenshots will do fine!

Me? I can live with .3gp too.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

All right, the first session went pretty well. We went over the basics in using the program, and built a simple ship model.

Some links:

My animation rig scene, which will output 120 frames. You can build your models directly in this, so I have it as my default scene.

GIF of the ship we built

Instructions on stitching your faces together using GIMP

If you need clarification on anything, or want to set up another session, just get a hold of me and we can.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That's a very nice ship, especially for only two hours of work. Did the recording go well, or should I attempt to set up Skype on my other PC?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I messed up the recording. The audio only works past 15min, and I forgot to record my mic as well when asking questions. Upload will be done in an hour.

*Edit: there's still a lot of info about making textures and applying them to a finished model, so I'm still uploading the video.
Today or in the coming weeks I might make a revamped graphics tutorial taking what I've learned from this session.
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Thanks for doing the lesson, Xephyr, and thanks for recording and uploading it, RPC.

Xephyr, after seeing what you did and how fast you did it, my respect for your work has gone up even more.