Song 'N' AssumedPseudonym's Superior Sounds

Post about your finished mods here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've started work on hiteffect sounds. It will, however, be quite some time before they're implemented into SNAPSS. There's a lot of sounds to make, they're much harder to make than the basic weapon sounds, and the way explosions use the same sounds as impacts causes some issues for us.

In the shorter term, I'll hopefully take a break and do some extra weapon sounds soon so SNAPSS can be updated with some minor improvements.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Latheos
Miner
Miner

There's an interesting bug I've run into with this mod: X-ray lasers no longer make any sound when fired if this mod is enabled. So far it's the only "missing" sound that I've encountered, but it has me wondering if it's perhaps a conflict with something in either AssumedPseudonym's Avian Enterprises mods (I'm running Player Ships and Scuttle) or Shrike's Mines and Missiles, since it is implied that there's some shared code between this and M&M.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’ll confer with Shrike on this next time they’re on IRC and try to sort this out. SNAPSS hasn’t been poked at in a while — and shouldn’t really need to be; it’s coded to be more or less futureproof — so the issue is almost going to have to be in SM&M++ somewhere. I’m just not sure where. The only thing that readily comes to mind is that they’ve done some odd scripting to X-ray lasers (which is unlikely, given their abilities or, more specifically, the lack thereof with TLisp). We may have something sort of strange on our hands.

Any chance you could you try running SNAPSS without anything other mods active and see if the X-ray laser still acts up? That might help narrow down the problem.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Latheos
Miner
Miner

AssumedPseudonym wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 am
 I’ll confer with Shrike on this next time they’re on IRC and try to sort this out. SNAPSS hasn’t been poked at in a while — and shouldn’t really need to be; it’s coded to be more or less futureproof — so the issue is almost going to have to be in SM&M++ somewhere. I’m just not sure where. The only thing that readily comes to mind is that they’ve done some odd scripting to X-ray lasers (which is unlikely, given their abilities or, more specifically, the lack thereof with TLisp). We may have something sort of strange on our hands.

Any chance you could you try running SNAPSS without anything other mods active and see if the X-ray laser still acts up? That might help narrow down the problem.
Next time I start a new game (which, given my standard rate of dying, shouldn't be long now...) I'll look into it and let you know.
Latheos
Miner
Miner

Oops. I was confused. It wasn't the X-ray, but the Blu-Ray Laser Cannon from the Drake Tech mod that's missing sounds. Oddly. only when this mod is running. I'll post this over on that mod to see if PM's got any ideas. Sorry 'bout that. :-/
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Nah, you’re fine. Better a false alarm than none at all. I’ve run into that one, too, and just posted an explanation over there about what’s going on. Oh good, I don’t need to pick through my code and try to remember what all does what again. <.< >.> ^.^;

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

So yeah, the download link for this died a long time ago. Fortunately, now, there is a solution.

As soon as I've recovered a copy of the mod from my old laptop and got it cleaned up a little and adorned with a little thumbnail, SNAPSS will be coming to Multiverse.

AP and I are planning to, eventually, work towards a version 2.0 of the mod, incorporating hiteffect sounds and support for SOTP Part II. That won't be for a while though, so SNAPSS 1.0 (the classic SNAPSS you might know and may or may not love) will have to do for now. :)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Development has been stalled for a while and the original download link is dead. Not sure this is exactly the version Shrike last had uploaded, but it works for my install. If you have problems with it when you try using it, lemme know and I’ll figure out what got broke where.

Here’s the link.

Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's true. Health issues have kept me out of development (and will continue to do so for some time). So AP's free to maintain it in whatever way necessary.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well, it's been a while. This year has been a health nightmare for me, so development has mostly stalled. However, I'm pleased to say that as of today, the development version of SNAPSS is available on the multiverse as a public mod. Be aware that SNAPSS does not work with part II, and is still unfinished. It is, however, finished enough to work fairly well for Part I playthroughs.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Just gave this a whirl after a recommendation from AP and seeing/hearing it in action in Elemental Shift on Twitch. Some initial thoughts:

The early game is much nicer with this mod. I like the more mellow laser and kinetic sounds. The laser sounds are more silly but that's not a bad thing. The mining and chimeric laser (I think these are the same sound) are thankfully less grating. Mining and/or fighting outlaw miners is nicer. I'm sure you know this already, but the lower general volume of the new effects makes the old ones sound loud. In the early game this is especially obvious using a laser or kinetic weapon (new) and a missile launcher (old).

The "boom" for Howitzers is much nicer and more appropriate than the old "click". It should probably be a little more crisp, though. More of a report and less of a frame drum. The new plasma weapons sound overly metallic to me, particularly when firing rapidly. I like the general direction you're going in, but in practice, I miss the old simple "thwack". I haven't used ion, thermo, or plasma weapons in my game yet.

Why does this mod force one to play an unregistered game??!

Thanks for doing this. These things are so tedious to balance (as well as subjective) and I appreciate your patience in attempting such a sweeping set of changes. ("sweep, sweep"). What I'd ideally like in the long term is for the best sounds from this mod to get merged with the best sounds from the base game, with volumes and textures balanced throughout.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Okay, after a very long time...

a new SNAPSS version is on the multiverse!

This version adds new sounds for graviton and nano weapons, and a few other tweaks.

...It's taken about eight attempts to get it successfully uploaded in a working state, so I'll leave it at that.

EDIT: Okay, lots of little bugs fixed, plus a few major crash bugs. This version can cause some issues, it seems. Please report any crashes, particularly on upgraded savegames that were previously using the old public version.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm pleased to announce that after taking about seven years to work out the command line process, Song 'N' AssumedPseudonym's Superior Sounds is now available on the Steam Workshop!

(Note: Actually viewing that in a browser probably requires you to be logged into steam on said browser. To find it manually through the steam client go to workshop, then extensions, then it should be right there)

Non-steam users should continue to use the multiverse edition linked in the first post of this thread. There is no content update associated with this release: it's literally just that we got the workshop upload working finally.