Quick Question about looted items

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Post Reply
shadowkatt64
Anarchist
Anarchist
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 am

Wed May 03, 2017 4:58 am

Just a quick question about looted items. I have looted a couple of weapons that need to be repaired, but I am unable to either repair them, install them or sell them. I also have found other items such as plating that does not show up when selling. How does this work?

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Wed May 03, 2017 5:34 am

'Damaged' equipment typically cannot be repaired. The exceptions are armor(which, as I'm sure you know, can be repaired while equipped at any station with armor repair facilities), installed weapons/shields(which can be repaired by attempting to enhance them), and weapons of certain corporations, which can be repaired at their factories. Damaged weapons can be sold at any weapons dealers that buy normal weapons, and damaged armor/shields can be sold at any armor/shield dealers that buy undamaged armor and shields. Tinkers also buy all damaged items as scrap.

Derakon
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:53 am

Wed May 03, 2017 2:35 pm

You can also use damaged items in the Tinkers' crafting recipes. Damaged turbolasers are easy to find in the early game, and can be used to make some decent weapons.

But as a general rule, damaged gear, especially damaged "strange" gear (the faction-specific stuff like Centauri recoilless cannons, Dwarg cnidocyst cannons, Urak howitzer, etc.) are not really worth holding onto. The especially is because faction-specific weapons have a heavy discount applied to them when selling them, whether functional or not. They're also usually not very good compared to other weapons you could be using instead.

Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:35 pm
Location: Dancing in the universe
Contact:

Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm

And you can use damaged weapons and items to create (other) undamaged weapons and items at the Teraton factories. But they only appear near the end of the game (if at all) so don't wait for that and just don't loot them when you are in a system that offers no possibilities for getting profit out of them.

Plant
Anarchist
Anarchist
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm

shadowkatt64 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:58 am
Just a quick question about looted items. I have looted a couple of weapons that need to be repaired, but I am unable to either repair them, install them or sell them. I also have found other items such as plating that does not show up when selling. How does this work?
Damaged weapons and armour can be sold at Tinker stations, which are rare in my games. Damaged weapons can be sold at most weapon stations and likewise with damaged shields and armour in armour stations. Not all weapon or shield stations will buy damaged wepons/shields and they may also refuse to buy anymore if you sold too many to them. They also can run out of money. These three stations are extremely rare after St. Katherines which is about the 8th system you will visit. By point of comparison, in my first game after St. Katherine I had one weapon shop which accepted damaged weapons, and in the second I had no stations which accepted damaged weapons or armour. There are usually at least one weapon and armour stations in Rigel Aurelius; the 4th system to be visited.

As for Teraton factories, don't worry about them unless you have damaged tech levl 8+ weapons.

Derakon
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:53 am

Thu May 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Plant wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm
Not all weapon or shield stations will buy damaged wepons/shields and they may also refuse to buy anymore if you sold too many to them.
Specifically, each weapon/armor station is for a specific manufacturer (e.g. a Rasiermessier station) and will only buy equipment made by that manufacturer.

EDIT: vvv whoops, thanks for the correction.
Last edited by Derakon on Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NMS
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:26 am

Thu May 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Derakon wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:51 pm
Plant wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm
Not all weapon or shield stations will buy damaged wepons/shields and they may also refuse to buy anymore if you sold too many to them.
Specifically, each weapon/armor station is for a specific manufacturer (e.g. a Rasiermessier station) and will only buy equipment made by that manufacturer.
No, there are manufacturer-specific dealers, which don't buy anything, then there are generic weapon or armor dealers, which buy any (non-illegal) weapons or armor and shields, damaged or not, as long as they can afford it and they don't already have more in their inventory than the player does. There's guaranteed to be at least one generic weapon dealer and one armor dealer in Rigel Aurelius, and there are usually several more in the New Beyond.

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Alaska

Sun May 07, 2017 12:45 am

*Smack *Smack *Smack
( all of you that replied about Damaged weapons)

While everything you DID say was useful, you did NOT say that :

Makayev manufacturing plant Will Explicitly offer the option to Repair weapons they make.
You can use Dock Services at this station for other things.

Rasiermesser manufacturing plant Will Explicitly offer the option to Repair weapons they make.
You can use Dock Services at this station for other things.

For some reason these stations will not explicitly offer to repair Armor or other devices from their company product lines : I have never known why.

Tinkers will Repair / Install Armors up to Level 8

There are / were extensions that added other Manufacturing Plants to the universe that may have serviced other products , but I do not remember exactly if those stations repaired anything, just that they sold their particular brand of items.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 am

shanejfilomena wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 12:45 am
*Smack *Smack *Smack
( all of you that replied about Damaged weapons)

While everything you DID say was useful, you did NOT say that :

Makayev manufacturing plant Will Explicitly offer the option to Repair weapons they make.
You can use Dock Services at this station for other things.

Rasiermesser manufacturing plant Will Explicitly offer the option to Repair weapons they make.
You can use Dock Services at this station for other things.
JohnBWatson wrote:'Damaged' equipment typically cannot be repaired. The exceptions are armor(which, as I'm sure you know, can be repaired while equipped at any station with armor repair facilities), installed weapons/shields(which can be repaired by attempting to enhance them), and weapons of certain corporations, which can be repaired at their factories.
For some reason these stations will not explicitly offer to repair Armor...
Because all stations can repair armor - it isn't a special feature of those stations. The 'other devices' thing is probably worth a ticket, though.

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Alaska

Mon May 08, 2017 2:35 pm

JohnBWatson wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 am
shanejfilomena wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 12:45 am
*Smack *Smack *Smack
( all of you that replied about Damaged weapons)

While everything you DID say was useful, you did NOT say that :

Makayev manufacturing plant Will Explicitly offer the option to Repair weapons they make.
You can use Dock Services at this station for other things.

Rasiermesser manufacturing plant Will Explicitly offer the option to Repair weapons they make.
You can use Dock Services at this station for other things.
JohnBWatson wrote:'Damaged' equipment typically cannot be repaired. The exceptions are armor(which, as I'm sure you know, can be repaired while equipped at any station with armor repair facilities), installed weapons/shields(which can be repaired by attempting to enhance them), and weapons of certain corporations, which can be repaired at their factories.
For some reason these stations will not explicitly offer to repair Armor...
Because all stations can repair armor - it isn't a special feature of those stations. The 'other devices' thing is probably worth a ticket, though.
ok: *Smacks ( Myself) I Obviously missed that ONE line in a sea of text.

However, there is Armor that is "too damaged" to be repaired ( such armor is best repaired using Patches before sale or other attempts to ask a station to complete the repairs - OR enhanced, as you suggested, but I personally never tried THAT :() )

The fact that Corporations do not repair non weapon devices attributed to them is Probably due to the Lack of actual Corporate stations for other manufacturers (and now we have Kartal as well as the others) But like so much of the Game Universe, there are gaping holes in it that give UNID Holders the ability to attempt filling in missing pieces and , hopefully, eventually, something of the Extensions / Adventures might find it's way into the universe officially ( ApeMant's Mining Auton was the basic line for what later evolved into actual mining by ships that was later used by RPC in DySys and now is part of the official game with the OutLaw Miners )

There is at least One Extension that adds these lost stations ( http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=618 ) by TheLastBrunnenG & I like to have my own builds of these stations in my own games (but I rarely use them, to be honest - but any "Port in a Storm" and sometimes, we all know , the seas get rough in Transcendence)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..

Derakon
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:53 am

Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 pm

The "armor too damaged to repair" thing was changed in 1.7. Stations will now happily repair armor that has 0HP.

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 am

Derakon wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 pm
The "armor too damaged to repair" thing was changed in 1.7. Stations will now happily repair armor that has 0HP.
They will charge extra, though. At least, I believe so.

relanat
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 am

JohnBWatson wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 am
They will charge extra, though. At least, I believe so.
When the armor is 75% damaged it costs triple to repair the last 25%. (Possibly it scales up at lower damage percentages, I can't remember).

Also Longzhu Spheres will repair some devices. I don't know the criteria that allows this except that quite a few weapons that are called "cannon" can't be repaired this way.

User avatar
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am

relanat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 am

Also Longzhu Spheres will repair some devices. I don't know the criteria that allows this except that quite a few weapons that are called "cannon" can't be repaired this way.
Shields, drives, and energy weapons, IIRC.

Post Reply