Multiplayer

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Tobiusinamour
Anarchist
Anarchist

Would a multiplayer (mod) not be brilliant!?! I wish you could choose co-oprative or enemys, so you could play the game together, or against each other. Would love it if someone could make a mod of this. Or it was added to vanilla. Then i would love this game 1000x more!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This is one of those things that gets brought up at least once a year, heh. Unfortunately, it’s not something that can just be modded in. It also isn’t really feasible for George to do from his end, it would basically require rebuilding the entire game engine from the ground up.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I agree, we should make this a mod
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Asynchronous multiplayer could be a thing. If we can just upload specific data to multiverse and ask for it for players we can have players interact with each other in single player games. Heck, they could even play in the same topology and see what the other players do with the right kind of mod.

edit: if this func works as it should (where 'serviceExtension sets global mod data on multiverse), it's doable

Code: Select all

(unvSetExtensionData scope attrib data) -> True/Nil

scope

'local
'serviceExtension
'serviceUser
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

RPC wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 pm
Asynchronous multiplayer could be a thing. If we can just upload specific data to multiverse and ask for it for players we can have players interact with each other in single player games. Heck, they could even play in the same topology and see what the other players do with the right kind of mod.

edit: if this func works as it should (where 'serviceExtension sets global mod data on multiverse), it's doable

Code: Select all

(unvSetExtensionData scope attrib data) -> True/Nil

scope

'local
'serviceExtension
'serviceUser
That's what I was thinking. We'd need better AI to make it interesting, but Asynchronous multiplayer could totally be implemented. Playership Bones is a useful proof of concept.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would love to play a fixed challenge topology. :)
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If mods were allowed to have A TCP stack, this would be even more possible
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

servers are required - some games have User contributed servers ......how it's paid for IDK.

Servers & internet are expensive & George can't be expected to shoulder the cost of expanding the Multiverse to cover a possible explosion of hits.

The Universe ( with or without Mods enabled ) needs to be waiting for the players to join in : they can follow a scripted path ( such as Hide&Seek servers that hold players in a game round until only one is left standing : then restarts the world letting new players in for a new game ) or they can just go off on their own : Freeworld (s) could be good but Station / system respawning & Dynamic Inventories for station is a MUST.

the local machines' game ( ie: your copy of the game that you access the multiverse servers with ) can keep track of the user / player 's stats and score leaving the servers to simply run the environment the players are in & resetting / respawning with each game or after the players have left the particular system ( or level ) .
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..