Mining '' ish

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Currently i am doing a play-true whit a constellation in CC. 1.8beta, registered auto download update, bla bla bla :-)

So far i switched drone bay for illegal cargohold, for profits^^

Than, i decided to mine a bit, so i took some loot and fitted the mining cargo hold and the plasma cutter.
I like the indications on what asteroids need to be done still. Thats a seriously nice improvement from 1.7. The borrers are also welcome ofcourse xD

Anyway
Went to eridany, and.... outch, an almost entire system empty. Exceptions where some helium regolith and plasteel, not worth it by a long shot.
Next system over more luck, but also some strange things;

1 one shot of my plasma cutter made reveal 11 ore still in rock. So obliviously , it was time to test the excavation pod charge thingy ^^ . It went boom, and nothing. try a 2nd time, now a couple of ore came out. Decided to finish whit plasma.

2 one ore present in a rock, so i plasma shoot it and now no ore in rock.... neither has it dropped, the ore is missing ??? looket around a bit try docking hotkey in a pretty large circle, since some roids shoot of the asteroid pretty far sometimes, no luck tho. Also, nothing green on radar present, the 1 ore is just gone.

So i am left to wonder if this is intended.... whats going on?
Does an asteroid have a strength or hull that needs to be overcome by mining equipment? If so, do low lvl roids yield better from a mining laser instead of plasma?
Do the charges a amount of damage to that strength, or is is separated in low and higher lvl roids?
Is there a dice roll that yields different things from different items, like laser gives dice rolls on low lvl and plasma high, and charges do..??

That 1 ore for example could be low lvl that my plasma cutter .... melted or something... or is it a bug? Dit i melt all the ore in eridany or, dit i used up all dice rolls of roids whit to high lvl gear? whats wrong??

Am i suppose to laser a roid than use charges than plasma cut it..... sounds pretty convoluted imo -.-

PS the flying around of the ore that does get out is still a pain in the arse ;-p

Anyway, if someone could answer that?

Ty and o7
Last edited by Tiber on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Mining was overhauled in 1.5, and it still needs serious work.

Low level systems have almost no ore unless the system has an ore deposit. Ore deposit is a cluster of asteroids with unusually high ore deposits, but discovering one will either send outlaw miners to mine and steal the ore, or Ferian miners to eat ore from asteroids. Early, it is more profit to discover a deposit, then farm the neverending stream of Borers. Mining for ore is only useful by Ungoverned Territories or beyond.

Asteroids have damage thresholds that increase by system level. Early on, mining laser is fine, but by late game, it does not work because it is not powerful enough. Unfortunately, plasma torch is not much of an upgrade due to how particles type attacks process damage. Late game mining is too hard.

Mining charges that were designed to extract ore are mostly a failure. For example, the biggest charge extracts a tiny amount of ore from an asteroid that has dozens of ore.

In some ways, pre-1.5 mining was better.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PM wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm
Late game mining is too hard.
Am still planning to try mining late game to see if an 150% mining laser works, ill let u know.
Altho i just recendley found an x-ray.... am in CC constelation and ( now since very recently ) in beta5 in can switch out guns on autons xD
So i might reserve that experiment of mine^^ for the next game in a osaka ^^

PM wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm
For example, the biggest charge extracts a tiny amount of ore from an asteroid that has dozens of ore.
Yes indeed, 2 problems there it seems, the ''green ore left counter'' doesn't spawn on roids, when using charges.
And secondly the roid in question does show up as ''explored (and thus empty/see reason 1)'' when a charge hits it.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Fully powered up mining laser (with +225% from both +150% mod and +75% from laser collimator) can mine asteroids in high level system like Heretic, but not very well. It will pop off a few ore here and there after many hits. It will be very tedious to fully mine a very high level system with +225% mining laser or even any plasma torch.

Plasma torch works a bit better than mining laser and Ferian cannon, but the ship needs to be almost on top of the asteroid so that all of the particles hit for full damage instead of divided among multiple ticks.

Charges will put a green counter on asteroids if ore pops out and there is still ore left. It is possible to clear "unexplored" off of the asteroid without successfully mining ore from said asteroid that has some.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PM wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 pm
It is possible to clear "unexplored" off of the asteroid without successfully mining ore from said asteroid that has some.
lol was about to typ that up as an bug, known issue i take it? xD

Also, damn, was hoping an buffed mining laser would do alot better than that, does this mean we need to use scan charges by default?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Unless scanning charges were changed recently, they have the same collision detection as other shockwaves (like micronukes), which is much like a 32 fragment attack with 80% passthrough, except the fragments do not disappear after some get blocked. In other words, shockwaves can be absorbed despite animation showing otherwise, and may not reveal ore-bearing asteroids.

I do not think charges are ever worth it. If you plan to mine, just bring miner's hold and a mining laser or plasma torch and shoot rocks.

But even if you can find ore in high level system, extracting it will be too hard. Not impossible, but it will take so much time that it will not be worthwhile.

NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Mining charges have 100% passthrough now, but that doesn't necessarily make them reliable or cost effective.
Amteloletom
Miner
Miner

Recently I also find many Orthosteel ores before St. Kate, Idk if it was on purpose or not, but the sure thing is that was an easy way to make credits :D