Iocrym Battle in 0.98c [warning: spoilers]

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I have just killed the Iocrym for the first ever time without resurrecting; second time ever! (I've been refusing to resurrect in my new games)

I was using a Sapphire Yacht (my favourite ship), a +150% IM90, an Ion Reflector shield with particle reflection added, Diamond Lattice armour with regen, and an ICX. I used Strengthen about four times, and the battle took only a few minutes.

I was able to use a Longzhu sphere to fix one of the Iocryms weapons: The Iocrym Repeller. I don't recall being able to do this in the previous version. Its a pretty funky plasma weapon which pushes things around, as well as doing a lot of damage, although even when enhanced +150% it is inferior to the IM90 in my opinion.

Is the Iocrym Repeller a new feature? I might have just missed it in my previous games.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Hunter
Anarchist
Anarchist

It seems like I remember it being mentioned before, though I couldn't say where.
No matter where you go... there you are!
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The repeller was added in 0.97.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Ah, ok. I must have just missed it before.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

I didn't know you could enhance plasma weapons with longzhu spheres. Is this a new feature?
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Stormhawk wrote:I didn't know you could enhance plasma weapons with longzhu spheres. Is this a new feature?
I don't know. The only plasma weapon I've tried it on is the Iocrym Repeller - which can definitly be enhanced with Longzhu's.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The repeller appears to be the only plasma weapon that is listed as an EnergyWeapon, which is the tag that dtermines the longzhuability. So probably only the repeller works for this one.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

Plasma isn't energy? give me a break.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

plasma isn't energy :D
it is just ionized gas (with high heat the most common way it happens)
Crying is not a proper retort!
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

Heat isn't energy?
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

that would depend on how the plasma weapons work. you could argue that it is the same type of energy as kinetic weapons (only those are more directional where heat isn't)
Crying is not a proper retort!
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Anyrate, I've always considered it to mean weapons where the firing mechanism is solid state, and thus can have more energy (from the longzhus) shunted into it without causing problems. If you tried to juice the motor on say, a recoilless cannon, probably all you'd achieve was jamming it up and blowing yourself away.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞