1.07a

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

1.07a is ready:

http://www.neurohack.com/downloads/Trans107a.zip

Plus an updated TransData to go with it:

http://www.neurohack.com/downloads/TransData241.zip

The list of fixes is:

1. Unable to continue Taikon School mission if shields < level 5 [Thanks to giantcabbage]
2. Fixed a regression bug with R:nn [Thanks to giantcabbage]
3. Fixed regression in DamageDesc parser (did not handle spaces between colons) [Thanks to Shrike]
4. #712: Bug with Centauri Occupation. This also fixes giantcabbage's problem with orders (O:nnn) in OnCreate.
5. #714: Regression with shpFixBlindness.
6. Fixed an inconsistency in capitalization in Black Market buy/sell screens.

As always, let me know of any problems (particularly regressions). Any really serious ones can be handled in 1.07b. Thank you!
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

yay. :D
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Does it work with 1.07 saves? (I know already-encountered centauri occupations probably are still broken though)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Wolfy wrote:Does it work with 1.07 saves?
Yes! 100% compatible with 1.07 saves.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Any chance we can get the author tag on Transcendence or what ever allows it to open without so much work on 8? Though its not a huge issue. :)
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Ttech wrote:Any chance we can get the author tag on Transcendence or what ever allows it to open without so much work on 8? Though its not a huge issue. :)
It will take a few months, unfortunately. I need to get a certificate to sign the code. Definitely before 1.1, but probably not for 1.08.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Its that bad? My understanding from the very limited documentation and information that an author would suffice, however looking that is already there. I had heard rumors of Windows being locked down but this will no doubt create chaos for the numerous free and open source programs that have become quite prominent. Also seeing how EFI has been locked down preventing *nix and even Windows 7 (or so I've heard) from working. Are the keys free at least? I assume they are not allowed to be released? But you would know more then I would.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Ttech wrote:Its that bad? My understanding from the very limited documentation and information that an author would suffice, however looking that is already there. I had heard rumors of Windows being locked down but this will no doubt create chaos for the numerous free and open source programs that have become quite prominent. Also seeing how EFI has been locked down preventing *nix and even Windows 7 (or so I've heard) from working. Are the keys free at least? I assume they are not allowed to be released? But you would know more then I would.
No, the keys are not free (the cheapest I've found is $100 per year). It's not just an author. You need to have a verifiable signature to prove that the software came from a certain place. That is, the software is signed with my private key so when a user runs the program they can be sure that it was created by me. [Without this signature, anyone could forge the author field on the EXE or modify the EXE (e.g. to add a virus) without anyone noticing.]
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Wow. Haven't finished playing 1.07 last night(killed by Arco Vaughn). Oh well. Thanks George. :D
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

while many of us have no real concept of how complex and time consuming being a developer and master of the Universe actually is : or that it costs real money for all this to be made possible and brought to our lives :

I would like to THANK George and all the Great Minds behind the game.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:
Ttech wrote:Its that bad? My understanding from the very limited documentation and information that an author would suffice, however looking that is already there. I had heard rumors of Windows being locked down but this will no doubt create chaos for the numerous free and open source programs that have become quite prominent. Also seeing how EFI has been locked down preventing *nix and even Windows 7 (or so I've heard) from working. Are the keys free at least? I assume they are not allowed to be released? But you would know more then I would.
No, the keys are not free (the cheapest I've found is $100 per year). It's not just an author. You need to have a verifiable signature to prove that the software came from a certain place. That is, the software is signed with my private key so when a user runs the program they can be sure that it was created by me. [Without this signature, anyone could forge the author field on the EXE or modify the EXE (e.g. to add a virus) without anyone noticing.]

I was afraid of that, so much for Open Source and free stuff. How long has this been going on? I didn't see it so blatant on Windows 7.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

shanejfilomena wrote:while many of us have no real concept of how complex and time consuming being a developer and master of the Universe actually is : or that it costs real money for all this to be made possible and brought to our lives :

I would like to THANK George and all the Great Minds behind the game.
I appreciate that! Thank you! And thanks to all who have contributed to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Ttech wrote:I was afraid of that, so much for Open Source and free stuff. How long has this been going on? I didn't see it so blatant on Windows 7.
The warning in Windows 7 is not nearly as strong (for instance, you can just hit enter to continue running instead of having to dive to an extra menu).

On the one hand, I think it is a good thing: running a random EXE is probably the number one source of viruses. But it is true that it will make it more expensive/inconvenient for freeware.
JDMatson
Anarchist
Anarchist

george moromisato wrote: The warning in Windows 7 is not nearly as strong (for instance, you can just hit enter to continue running instead of having to dive to an extra menu).

On the one hand, I think it is a good thing: running a random EXE is probably the number one source of viruses. But it is true that it will make it more expensive/inconvenient for freeware.
I barely even notice when the warning comes up in Windows 7. Is it more stringent in 8? Do you need to get separate author codes for each program or are they shared? For example would it cost $300 a year to get signatures for Transcendence, TransData and Anacreon?

On another note, Transcendence is incredibly awesome. It's one of my favorite games and I love that it is available for free. I've seen indie games selling for $20 that had way less to offer. In fact, Transcendence has more replay value for me than most of the 50-60 dollar games out there. Thank you so much, George, for doing all of this for us.
ildamos
Miner
Miner

Haven't posted in quite a while here (dayjob). A question though: why isn't this up on the front page? Stability issues?

Lastly: If I should start getting into Transcendence again, what version should I download?