1.8 Release

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

1.8 is finally available on the Multiverse: https://multiverse.kronosaur.com/news.hexm?id=2074

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. It's been longer than usual to get a major release out, but I think it's worth it.

p.s.: I'm having some trouble upgrading from 1.7 (which I'm debugging). If you have trouble, just do a manual upgrade: https://downloads.kronosaur.com/Transcendence.zip
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Upgrading from 1.7 does not work for me as well, I'm getting a "unable to replace existing files" message after the download has completed.
CMircea
Anarchist
Anarchist

Is it save to load a save created with beta 5? Is anything expected to break?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

CMircea wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Is it save to load a save created with beta 5? Is anything expected to break?
Yes, it's safe to load a beta 5 game in release 1.8.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Looks like I need to start pushing for a stable ES release. Congrats on making the milestone, George. ^_^
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

FYI: Just released version 1.8.1, which has a few bugfixes: https://ministry.kronosaur.com/program. ... ed&tag=113
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Great job George!
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Congratulations !

And hf everyone !
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 pm
FYI: Just released version 1.8.1, which has a few bugfixes: https://ministry.kronosaur.com/program. ... ed&tag=113
Still getting the "Unable to replace existing files" message after the download completes.
Does this also affect others or should I debug my configuration (using Wine on Linux)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

As another Linux/Wine user, I’ve had no issue with any of the updates anywhere along the line. I’m willing to compare notes via PM, if necessary.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
rhuber
Anarchist
Anarchist

I ran through 1.8 and liked a lot of the changes. A couple of things bummed me out though, mainly the discovery that my favorite shield (Ares Kaidun) now requires two slots. You guys also seem to have nerfed the Kaidun a bit, so I'm not sure why you both nerfed it and made it use two-slots. Since my favorite base-buster, the Ares plasma archcannon, is also a 2-slot item, it really puts the squeeze on me as far as what else I can equip. In the ship models that are limited to four non-weapon devices, I can equip either a cargo bay expansion or propulsion upgrade, leaving me no device slots left for actual devices, like the howitzer accelerator. This is not a great situation!

Can I suggest a cargo upgrade that doesn't increase the cargo capacity and doesn't use a device slot that simply converts the existing cargo space into a smuggler cargo hold?

I played around a bit with the ship brokers and tried out both the Centurion and the Corvette. I much preferred the agility of the Centurion, but ultimately finished the game in the sluggish corvette, since its eight slots can be anywhere. It was so slow that I ultimately dumped my smuggler hold to equip a thruster upgrade, but at least I was able to equip the howitzer accelerator by dumping my third weapon -- an ion blaster.

I was a little bummed that none of the ships at the brokers were "bare bones", allowing you to transfer over your existing equipment. The thing is, by the time you are able to afford these, you're likely to already have a lot of hard to find weapons and armor and such that you don't want to part with. I used the Point Juno broker, and basically I replaced my weapons, shield, engine, armor, etc., with crap versions and stashed my good stuff in the weapon vault of the wrecked fleet ship there, then traded in my ship and retrieved all my stuff from the weapon vault to reequip it. It's doable, but kind of a pain.

I was amused that I could give my two wingmen new ships and I did that. It also occurred to me that I could deck out a cool ship in top grade armor and weapons, trade it in, and then buy it for one of my wingmen. I'll have to try that next time, although I usually park the wingmen in a corner somewhere where they can't be hurt, so they aren't going to get many opportunities to use their weapons. Still, it would be amusing to have a wingman with a plasma launcher and a lamplighter. :-P

I encountered the old bug where you blow up the invading ships in the Gunzen attack. I couldn't get Kate and Whats-his-face to land, and Gunzen just told me to get back out there and finish the job. Eventually, I just left the system until it "failed" and then came back, but I do seem to have gotten credit for defending the complex and was able to complete the final mission in that quest line. I haven't seen this bug in a very long time and thought it was fixed, but maybe it's just very rare?

Those are just my thoughts from one play-through. Please consider returning the Kaidun to a single-slot shield and/or adding another device slot or two to all the ships and/or adding a 0-slot device that converts a cargo hold into a smuggler's cargo hold. Even when the Kaidun was a 1-slot shield, it was always a bummer that I could never equip more than one device, meaning the transpace jumpdrive is just something I dream about but never get to use.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well done. Lots of work but worth it.
I like the linked Multiverse page. The image is great.
"Kronosaur Productions is excited and relieved..." made me laugh.

An EI7000 delivered my Trading Post order in Eta Ceti instead of an EI100. Great improvement.

The 'commonwealthStarCarrier' attribute is very handy!
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

@rhuber

+1 for the smuglers cargo hold idea ;-)

As for the refit to a new ship, in S u can View cargo and drop a can outside your ship, no need to burn to a station or something to stash it.
Your wingmen can be very usefull, put them in wolfy's those ares plasma archcanon and ares kaidum sheild dont matter as 2slot items, your wingmen dont need cargohold... altho i do recomment the 28mw speed booster for any wingmen. But if u do this i would suggest u get them disintergration immume armor straight of the bet. Or a redo from lvl 7 armor for 3 wingmen gets very expensive ^^
lastley i find the missile or mag setups not working the same way / or even properly for wingmen.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I just did a fast fly around to see what was new ......absolutely love the stations!!!!!!!!

However......I do not love the extremely high hit points on the stations ( and low damage in Civilian weapons available in the early stages )...I crashed a keyboard & my input device trying to crack a station last time I actually played.

I understand the Hit points are reasonable.....I am NOT complaining...I used to increase the hit points in my personal games...However, I made MAGS more available and some tracking to make up for the lacking in the regular ammo.

So, basically, I would like to see the civilian available weapons / ammo keep pace with the structures and ships they are going up against.

Otherwise it was an Awesome looking scene out there.

-------------------------------------
Custom Ships still have issues on docking with some stations

While I do not understand what causes this.....maybe the station is looking for something....
But whatever it is, it's a thing..
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This game is really fun!

This may seem like an obvious comment but I was reminded of it when playtesting a couple of mods recently. Spending more time modding than playing made me forget that the variation, features and just plain fun of blowing things up mean the player has a really good time.

Keep up the good work.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!