1.9 Alpha 3

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

1.9 Alpha 3 is ready for testing!

You can download at: https://downloads.kronosaur.com/TranscendenceNext.zip

You can now choose a difficulty level when creating a new game:
Story Mode: All attacks against the player do 1/10th damage. All attacks by the player do 10x damage.
Normal Mode: All attacks against eh player do half damage. All attacks by the player do double damage.
Challenge Mode: All attacks do normal damage (equivalent to today's engine).
Permadeath: Same as Challenge, but you cannot resurrect if you die (other than via insurance, etc.).

Also added asteroid parallax. Check it out and let me know what you think. But if you don't like it, feel free to turn off in Settings.xml (set no3DExtras to true).

This build fixes the major regressions in Alpha 2, including the missing items on Tinkers and Teratons.

Complete list of fixes: https://ministry.kronosaur.com/program. ... ed&tag=121
API 46: https://ministry.kronosaur.com/record.hexm?id=88252
New TransData: https://downloads.kronosaur.com/TransData.zip

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release. As always, please let me know what you think!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It would be nice if the difficulty settings explained what they did. Permadeath is self-explanatory, but... had I not lurked at the last Twitch stream, I would have assumed Standard was the default difficulty used by Transcendence for all the previous versions over the years, and not Challenge.

Questions:
* Will there be another weapon rebalance? With default interaction and hit points, weapons that used to be within +/-2 are now around +/-10, due to getting new values.
* What of cloud and (continuous)beam weapons? Their interaction is 100 by default, but stdInteraction is 0.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
CapnPlatypus
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks for the quick fixes!
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Aahhh, time for a full run ^^
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:12 am
It would be nice if the difficulty settings explained what they did. Permadeath is self-explanatory, but... had I not lurked at the last Twitch stream, I would have assumed Standard was the default difficulty used by Transcendence for all the previous versions over the years, and not Challenge.

Questions:
* Will there be another weapon rebalance? With default interaction and hit points, weapons that used to be within +/-2 are now around +/-10, due to getting new values.
* What of cloud and (continuous)beam weapons? Their interaction is 100 by default, but stdInteraction is 0.
* Yeah, I think we'll need to do another weapon rebalance. I want to do some work on weapon range first.
* I'll look at cloud and continuous beam weapons.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Few quick comments on parallax asteroids:
* When near a sun, they do not cast shadows like normal (in-plane) asteroids.
* When far from sun and not in a cluster, they are too hard to tell apart from normal asteroids. This hurts when trying to use asteroids as cover.

Suggestion: Parallax asteroids should easily distinguishable from in-plane asteroids. They should also cast shadows if close enough to a sun.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Doing a run, i truly like the step up of this one !
Well done George and team !
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

Looks good!

I did run in to a game stopping bug in the second system. During a station defense mission, I docked with the station but was never shown the station screen. Instead I was pulled to a docking position and locked there. Hitting D locks out the controls and tries to dock, then hitting it again cancels docking but keeps the ship locked in position. Hitting D several times cycled through the docking ports on the station then exhausted them, now leaving me locked in place without a docking port available.

If it would be helpful I'd be happy to upload the save or create a ticket on ministry.

Otherwise it's looking great!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That bug is already up on Ministry, yeah. With how I play, it’s made the current alpha unplayable, so I’m waiting for 1.9a4 to come out.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Balentius
Anarchist
Anarchist

I'm seeing an odd issue, not sure if anyone else is. Occasionally, some enemy stations become intangible - which suddenly popped up as I was doing the Charon mission, making it impossible to finish. I can't target the station, I can't hit it with any weapons. The sad thing is that enemy ships still dock to it and I can kill them, but not the station.

However, I run regularly with ~10-12 mods loaded, so I'm not sure if it's a mod interaction or an actual bug, so I'm posting it here first to see if anyone else is seeing this.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Balentius wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 am
I'm seeing an odd issue, not sure if anyone else is. Occasionally, some enemy stations become intangible - which suddenly popped up as I was doing the Charon mission, making it impossible to finish. I can't target the station, I can't hit it with any weapons. The sad thing is that enemy ships still dock to it and I can kill them, but not the station.

However, I run regularly with ~10-12 mods loaded, so I'm not sure if it's a mod interaction or an actual bug, so I'm posting it here first to see if anyone else is seeing this.
Just ran into this myself on a vanilla game; the station is out-of-plane for some reason. Happens a lot of Sung fortresses in asteroids.