IRC Closed

New releases and announcements from George and the staff.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello Folks!

It saddens me to announce that after over 14 years the Transcendence IRC Channel has been closed on freenode. We still have a channel on https://libera.chat (a new network). Many of you in the community were a part of it early on and some of the coolest projects to come from and for Transcendence (Stars Beyond and Xelerus) came from the IRC channels we ran. For many it was a amazing community where people were friends even if they were across the world.

In recent years we have slowly migrated to Discord (https://discord.gg/ehjVtVbMNd) and hope to see you there!

This all began because the freenode IRC network was taken over by (apparently hostile) external parties in much IRC-like drama. Except this included legal threats and the potential for data to be sold. Shortly after that the new owners/managers of freenode took over channels. Which leaves us at the point now where #transcendence or ##transcendence now are no longer considered official or recommended community venues.

If anyone wants to post in this thread some great IRC memories that they had, it would be nice to remember the good times.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The IRC was integral to my getting into modding (and much later, moderating). While I don't entirely miss the unbridled chaos that was IRC days, compared with current livestream Q&As*, I do miss the old channel a fair bit, for all almost everyone had moved over to discord.
Ttech wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:13 am
If anyone wants to post in this thread some great IRC memories that they had, it would be nice to remember the good times.
The many breakings of the Katami bot, for starters ;)

*It was marginally easier to ensure a question got seen, admittedly :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Song wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:16 am

Ah yes, when Katami would randomly start speaking German or Spanish when someone joined or spoke. That was high quality stuff :lol:
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ttech wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 am
Song wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:16 am

Ah yes, when Katami would randomly start speaking German or Spanish when someone joined or spoke. That was high quality stuff :lol:
I believe there was one specific instance where it started markov-ing off itself briefly before being forcibly stopped as well.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Autohummer
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I once typed "destory" instead of "destroy", the bot's response was hilarious.
Has resurfaced!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Good times, I remember in early 2008 when some evenings it was just me, ttech, bimbel and Betel.

And who can't forget the netsplits, Katami going crazy and ~roulette :D

It was a good run, had a lot of fun and learned some programming, photoshopping and 3D modelling.

See you on Discord !