Captain's Primer update?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Captain's Primer http://neurohack.com/transcendence/explore/index.html is several releases out of date and the other guides on the page are "coming soon" and have been since I first came here.

If this section of the website is to remain it really should be updated. I believe the original Captains Primer was derived from a thread on the Unofficial Transcendence Forums when they were the primary community so it's reasonable that the update should also be a community project. It'll give us something to do while waiting for 0.99d and 1.0.

The first thing to do is update the Captain's Primer. I see three major problems. [edit: I just found a fourth]
  • The movement section indicates there is no stop. The '.' key needs to be described.
  • The current version dates from before the Wolfen and EI500 were playerships.
  • The description of the targeting ROM is unclear and incorrect. It indicates you target with 'r' which is now the release key, and that you cannot cycle targets.
  • The Centauri raider description and graphic relate to the old raider, which is completely different from the new raider.
The page as a whole is divided into three sections.
"The New Beyond" describes pre-St.K and the "coming soon" pages would be duplications of material already in the Captains Primer. They should probably be either eliminated or split out of the primer.
"The Ungoverned Territories" looks like it's intended to describe St.K on. There are pages for St.K, the Heliotropes, and the Sung. The Dwarg definately need a page and the Marauders probably do as well. The Heliotropes don't really.
"The Outer Realm" appears intended to cover the late game. Though the graphic is of Ares ships there are no pages for enemies, just for CSC, Ringers, and Teratons. I'm not sure individual friendly stations merit independant pages or why there are no pages for hostiles in this section.