Can stargates be 'locked'?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I was reading this thread http://neurohack.com/transcendence/foru ... f=2&t=3669 and saw this:
As to choke points, what else do you call a stargate?
So does that mean that gates can be 'locked'? Do beings who are not Ancient Races in the QZ have the ability to 'lock' the gates, or are the CW and others in the QZ forced to patrol the gate instead, like the Huari in Huaramarca?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

A choke point doesn't imply impassibility, just that all traffic has to go through a small, easily guarded area. Pretty much all of the stargates fit this definition, with minor exceptions like to option of routing through Elyssium.

Of course, no-one actually uses the gates as choke points- even Point Juno is miles away from the gate it theoretically could be guarding (which may explain why there's Ares spread from there halfway to St Kats). Even the Iocrym, while positioned at the gate, stops human exploration well before that point rather than getting much use out of watching the gate.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

Also, yes the stargates can be locked. SPOILER ALLERT

The Heretic gate is locked until the player unlocks it
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You can lock any gate with (staSetInactive station) and unlock it when needed.

Alternatively, you could either just suspend the gate (objsuspend obj) or move it really far out of the system. The NPC ships will still use it, regardless, which is nice because it doesn't bring up any bugs.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

:lol: He was referring to in-universe abilities, not scripts ;)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

stargates can be locked, just look at Heretic?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I am pretty sure that the Heretic gate was locked by the Iocrym. I was asking if the CW or Ares could lock the gate. It would be a very interesting game mechanic to have 'military systems' like Pt Juno to require you to have a military ID before continuing if something like the Network was implemented into vanilla because you could potentially skip those systems to get further into the game.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I was actually thinking of trying to make certain stargates military only, perhaps using a toll-booth to activate stargates. The problem is that they would have to be deactivated, and it would have freighters traveling through it, but if I could get it working as a pay to use, it could work well. As for whether Commonwealth can activate them, I suppose so. In the description it says it is the only method of faster than life travel KNOWN to humans. That implies they know how it works. Also, walk in, rip out a few wires, anyone could deactivate it.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drako Slyith wrote:I was actually thinking of trying to make certain stargates military only, perhaps using a toll-booth to activate stargates. The problem is that they would have to be deactivated, and it would have freighters traveling through it, but if I could get it working as a pay to use, it could work well. As for whether Commonwealth can activate them, I suppose so. In the description it says it is the only method of faster than life travel KNOWN to humans. That implies they know how it works. Also, walk in, rip out a few wires, anyone could deactivate it.
Scripting wise, its just a little lispy, but logically it probably just check for a military id.