Designers wanted: a Transcendence-Based OS

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Desolator wrote:
Dorne wrote:So far, I only know how to use linux using the cli interface, ...
So you mean you've never used a GNU/Linux OS with a desktop environment installed? Weird O_o The only one I know of that does that is Richard Stallman.
Dorne wrote:... but I'm not exactly sure about making a kernel of linux.
O RLY?! Linux IS a kernel, thus you can't make a kernel for a kernel.

Sorry about that, I haven't touched the linux kernel yet. I only too intro to linux as a course last semester, and I've used SuSe linux for that. This semester, I've been using Knoppix, and will install Fedora soon. I'm second semester in the networking stream of my computer studies at my college =_= .
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dorne wrote:
Desolator wrote:
Dorne wrote:So far, I only know how to use linux using the cli interface, ...
So you mean you've never used a GNU/Linux OS with a desktop environment installed? Weird O_o The only one I know of that does that is Richard Stallman.
Dorne wrote:... but I'm not exactly sure about making a kernel of linux.
O RLY?! Linux IS a kernel, thus you can't make a kernel for a kernel.

Sorry about that, I haven't touched the linux kernel yet. I only too intro to linux as a course last semester, and I've used SuSe linux for that. This semester, I've been using Knoppix, and will install Fedora soon. I'm second semester in the networking stream of my computer studies at my college =_= .

I thought the X**** guy was making the linux thing.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote:O RLY?! Linux IS a kernel, thus you can't make a kernel for a kernel.
Do I honestly have to spell it out to you right here? Like I said before, although Linux is not a kernel, the kernel is a major part of the OS. Seeing how you're researching to disprove me, I can't see why you didn't stumble upon this:
Wikipedia wrote:In computer science, the kernel is the central component of some computer operating systems (OS).
You see, Linux is not a kernel, the kernel just runs the operating system. Its kinda like saying a computer is a processor. True, to some extent, however all of the parts coming together make the computer.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Dude, he wasn't talking about you. :wink:
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Heh, as he started, I'll continue to prove him wrong.

The kernel provides as interface to hardware from software. Period. A kernel can't do anything else by itself. Linus wrote it. The GNU project is nearly complete, but lacks a good kernel (GNU Hurd is still not good for production usage). By combining those you get an operating systems, and as Linux is just 2%, if not less of the whole distribution, with GNU software going over 40%, which one deserves most credit?

I know, the problem is that this operating system has lots of potential, but people don't know about it, because it doesn't have a real name. Stallman didn't want Lignux, and I can't see why.
Also, by calling the whole system Linux, you are putting Linux is a better position to enforce
the Linux trademark. Right now, it's $5000 a year to use it (if not a month).

EDIT: To keep the page short, I kindly ask you to take 10 minutes and read these articles:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never- ... f-gnu.html
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote:The kernel provides as interface to hardware from software. Period. A kernel can't do anything else by itself.
Now you are disproving yourself!

You said Linux is a kernel. If you were right, Linux would only be able to "provide an interface to hardware from software".

Unbelievable.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Xephyr wrote:
Desolator wrote:The kernel provides as interface to hardware from software. Period. A kernel can't do anything else by itself.
Now you are disproving yourself!

You said Linux is a kernel. If you were right, Linux would only be able to "provide an interface to hardware from software".

Unbelievable.
Yes I did, and so it does. What else do you think it does? Brew coffee? :P
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I still say my idea is the best bet!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Wow! if you made an OS that could brew really good coffee I would probably build you a temple and start worshiping your coolitude.
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

I don't understand what a "Transcendence" OS would accomplish, aside from looking like the game. Cool idea, but I have a certain skepticism as far as practicality is concerned.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Phaeton wrote:I don't understand what a "Transcendence" OS would accomplish, aside from looking like the game. Cool idea, but I have a certain skepticism as far as practicality is concerned.
I'm basically doing this to learn more about design and programming. Plus, I have one computer I use only for Transcendence I plan to use it on.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Instead I'd make GDM & KDM themes, as well as icon sets for both Gnome & KDE, plus themes for other things like Thunderbird, Firefox, etc.

That should teach you something.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Creating Inappropriate "Signature Dialouge" since yestermorrow!

Desolator wrote:Instead I'd make GDM & KDM themes, as well as icon sets for both Gnome & KDE, plus themes for other things like Thunderbird, Firefox, etc.

Gnome? Isn't that the really old game that is basically like Mech Warrior, only much, much older? Cause as I see it, there is only one thing called Gnome, and thats a game.

A Transcendence OS would really be great, and if you add a simple, yet useful, GUI for modding Transcendence, that would be even better.
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:
Desolator wrote:Instead I'd make GDM & KDM themes, as well as icon sets for both Gnome & KDE, plus themes for other things like Thunderbird, Firefox, etc.

Gnome? Isn't that the really old game that is basically like Mech Warrior, only much, much older? Cause as I see it, there is only one thing called Gnome, and thats a game.

A Transcendence OS would really be great, and if you add a simple, yet useful, GUI for modding Transcendence, that would be even better.
Gnome is a desktop manager :) - http://www.gnome.org/
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Gnome is an AD&D character race. Similar to dwarves in many respects but w/ several fundamental differences. :P
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html