Designers wanted: a Transcendence-Based OS

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I will require help for the development of a Transcendence-Based Linux Operating System. This will require plenty of computer experience and maybe some experience with source code. Everything used will be open-source.

The list of what is needed is currently:

-people interested in editing Linux Kernel to make the OS
-a group to make a Transcendence-Based Firefox
-Contributors of desktop background images
-Advertisers of the project (talk about it on forums, Youtube, etc.)
-Website hosting space (with file hosting)
-Ideas!

This list may be updated.

Everyone who helps will have a mention on the OS, but anything you submit must be made entirely made by yourself or the group you made it in.
To get involved or send information, software, images, etc. Email [email protected] (Yes, Transcend is spelled incorrectly)
Last edited by Xephyr on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

And where are you going to host about 6 gigs of packages? You'd also need a few TBs of bandwidth as well.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

As a reply to Desolator:
First of all, It would be a .iso file, which you can burn to a CD and boot up form it, lowering the file size dramatically. Secondly, I plan to use a minimalist version of Linux to edit, which will keep the file size to about 50 MB. And of course, if no web host is found, www.Linux.org will gladly host it for free.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

You don't understand. Every real GNU/Linux distribution has a server where it hosts additional software, because you can't include them all. If you base it on Ubuntu, actually you'll need about 35 GB free space.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote:You don't understand. Every real GNU/Linux distribution has a server where it hosts additional software, because you can't include them all.
However, this is only a small project within only the Transcendence community. Since I will be making a minimalist Linux distribution, I can include all of the software needed, (which, by the way, is NOT more than 25MB) and besides, any software somebody would need is accessible from http://www.linux.org/apps/ .

I can honestly say I don't see why you have to try to disprove me. You're not being smart, you're embarrassing yourself every time I disprove you.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

DSL includes minimalistic versions of software and is stripped of anything flashy. Yet it's pretty close to 50 megs, and it uses old software.

Only Wine, required to run Transcendence, takes about 30 MB :P Basically you either make it good or you don't do it at all. Also, you need a ton of planning, but here are some basic questions:

What packaging format are you going to use, .deb, .rpm, .tgz or?
Will it be based on another distribution?
What software would you include by default to do the basic stuff?
What desktop environment will you include? (I'd recommend Xfce)
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote: What packaging format are you going to use, .deb, .rpm, .tgz or?
Will it be based on another distribution?
What software would you include by default to do the basic stuff?
What desktop environment will you include? (I'd recommend Xfce)
I plan on using .7z, because it is slightly more powerful than some others.

It might be based on another distribution, I haven't decided yet.

Still haven't decided. Probably mostly things for modding.

I think a view of the cockpit of a Sapphire-Class Yacht would look pretty cool as a desktop environment, like a dashboard showing system performance, memory usage, etc.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Creating Inappropriate "Signature Dialouge" since yestermorrow!

Xephyr wrote:
Desolator wrote:You don't understand. Every real GNU/Linux distribution has a server where it hosts additional software, because you can't include them all.
However, this is only a small project within only the Transcendence community. Since I will be making a minimalist Linux distribution, I can include all of the software needed, (which, by the way, is NOT more than 25MB) and besides, any software somebody would need is accessible from http://www.linux.org/apps/ .

I can honestly say I don't see why you have to try to disprove me. You're not being smart, you're embarrassing yourself every time I disprove you.
He disproves everyone :D therefore embarrassing/disgracing himself everytime we disprove him.
Xephyr wrote:I think a view of the cockpit of a Sapphire-Class Yacht would look pretty cool as a desktop environment, like a dashboard showing system performance, memory usage, etc.
Sweet. but you should do one for the 500E instead, its much cooler, and possibly (i'm just guessing) the less used.

Edit: you are going to make a GUI for modding? or was there a mistake in my translation from expert (you) to moron (me)
Last edited by Charon Mass of Goo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:I will require help for the development of a Transcendence-Based Linux Operating System. This will require plenty of computer experience and maybe some experience with source code. Everything used will be open-source.

The list of what is needed is currently:

-people interested in editing Linux Kernel to make the OS
-a group to make a Transcendence-Based Firefox
-Contributors of desktop background images
-Advertisers of the project (talk about it on forums, Youtube, etc.)
-Website hosting space (with file hosting)
-Ideas!

This list may be updated.

Everyone who helps will have a mention on the OS, but anything you submit must be made entirely made by yourself or the group you made it in.
To get involved or send information, software, images, etc. Email [email protected] (Yes, Transcend is spelled incorrectly)

Be on the IRC. :)
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I know I'm not that much into modding transcendence, but I've recently been using linux. So far, I only know how to use linux using the cli interface, but I'm not exactly sure about making a kernel of linux. My college happens to have a linux club, I think I'll join it and see what they do. I'll see if I can help.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Dorne wrote:So far, I only know how to use linux using the cli interface, ...
So you mean you've never used a GNU/Linux OS with a desktop environment installed? Weird O_o The only one I know of that does that is Richard Stallman.
Dorne wrote:... but I'm not exactly sure about making a kernel of linux.
O RLY?! Linux IS a kernel, thus you can't make a kernel for a kernel.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Desolator wrote:
Dorne wrote:So far, I only know how to use linux using the cli interface, ...
So you mean you've never used a GNU/Linux OS with a desktop environment installed? Weird O_o The only one I know of that does that is Richard Stallman.
Dorne wrote:... but I'm not exactly sure about making a kernel of linux.
O RLY?! Linux IS a kernel, thus you can't make a kernel for a kernel.

I said that a Linux app and or style would be better then making an os... But who am I to say anything. :P LOL

So I'm as lost as you. IT makes no sense
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

What the heck is a Kernal!? Is it corn? Seriously, though, this is a great Idea, I'd happily help, but I can't do anything beyond suggesting ideas.
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:What the heck is a Kernal!? Is it corn? Seriously, though, this is a great Idea, I'd happily help, but I can't do anything beyond suggesting ideas.
ITs well, I know I"m not giving you the correct definision, but its an idea: Like the core of the os.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ttech wrote: ITs well, I know I"m not giving you the correct definision, but its an idea: Like the core of the os.
So basically, it is to the OS as an .XML/.TBD file is to Transcendence?
Ok, I get it. Don't worry about giving me the wrong definitional words, I thrive on incorrect probabilities, theories, descriptions, and definitions.

btw, you think you could add a "Tutorial" in it for Luminous, since that seems to be a great program for images and crap? There is no help file, readme in the Luminous file, program, stuff, that tells you how to actually use it. Although I am slightly getting better at using it. Or you could incorporate Luminous right into it! With George's permission, of course.