The same old question

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
appleseed
Miner
Miner

1.Is it logical to travel to the core with a little gunship /freighter/yacht ?
2.You have maximum 7 slot for device, but there are lots of necessary device .
3.Ships are upgradable but sometime it's like you install a Hammer's engine to Tata Nano.
4.Is it logical to destroy a Command ship or Carrier with a gunship?
5.Should not there be some life support goods (like you must have some water ,food etc),that makes the game more realistic.
6.I think carrier should provide player a spacial frigate or destroyer after gaining the rank of Captain or beginning ships should change as the game has been updated.
:?:
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

1.Is it logical to travel to the core with a little gunship /freighter/yacht ?
Well... Domina did tell you to go the core, and "If life gives you lemons..."
2.You have maximum 7 slot for device, but there are lots of necessary device .
This is mostly true.
I suppose this is to force the player into deciding which device are absolutely necessary rather than just installing every device you can find.
There are workarounds like modded ships or device slot enhancers (which still do not override specific limitations like the freighter only being allowed 2 weapons)
5.Should not there be some life support goods (like you must have some water ,food etc),that makes the game more realistic.
This has been discussed but George had a great reason for not doing this. Basically, it would not add to the gameplay at all, be a minor money sink, and a big annoyance. Fuel is used as the sole 'upkeep' resource and I think it should stay.
6.I think carrier should provide player a spacial frigate or destroyer after gaining the rank of Captain or beginning ships should change as the game has been updated.
The overlays have given us the ability to change the LOOK of the playership midgame although none of the stats change. You should check out Bobby's Holographic Stealth Device
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

So maybe we can experiment with ways to plug in blanks that simply block the improvements that we want to expose later in the game.

I did some experiments in this direction in 0.98 and 0.99. Now that we can alter the graphic, there is some serious potential to change ship in-game.

Changing ships in game would require some trickery still - ship object issued at the start of the game has the yacht or whatever overlay - but underneath the actual ship data set could be set up to allow some major expansions later on the game by reversing the limitation blocks put in place with the specific overlay.

Tricking the weapons, device slots, and cargo space is easy.

Altering the propulsion and maneuvering was always the hang up in pre RC-1 versions. (Well, of course, actually the ship graphic was biggest limitation - which made it all pointless to attempt to switch ships).
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I suspect what ship switiching will take is for George to redo, or more likely let someone else redo, the data structures. It shouldn't be hard, and that it is hard indicates there's probably some kludge somewhere in the compiled code.

Or possibly it's easy, but isn't desirable. I think the old roadmap had it scheduled at the same time post-heretic content was to be introduced. They may well be related in that the latter creates the need for the former.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Altering the propulsion and maneuvering was always the hang up in pre RC-1 versions. (Well, of course, actually the ship graphic was biggest limitation - which made it all pointless to attempt to switch ships)
I think this is still the biggest hurdle (propulsion and maneuvering) and experiments with drives might be able to come up with something that is acceptable by balancing the thrust to weight ratio and auto installing the appropriate drive device when the ship is upgraded.
Another possible hurdle is the max armor stat, or the specific maxWeapon/nonWeapon device slots. If these constraints were moved into the overlay and the vanilla install device code were modified to check the overlay data might be a way around that.

I'm glad you're interested in this because if anyone can crack it, it will be you. (besides George, of course)

Again, thanks a bunch for the StarLog mod!
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Propulsion and maneuvering could perhaps be controlled by creating a very maneuverable base ship, and then weighting it down with virtual cargo. All DS working with cargo space would have to be remade of course, and probably it would have other effect.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It would also effect acceleration.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yeah, acceleration gets wacky when you start throwing a lot of virtual weight around.

I haven't looked to deeply at the new functions, but there might be some gems in there we have yet to completely uncover and exploit.