Transcendence Picture thread

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The nice thing about using prerendered graphics is that you don't need to worry about stuff like poly counts. Well, until you decide to use the model for anything other than an image. Since I'm using the models in Unreal, it suddenly impacts performance to have tens of thousands of faces.

This is a good example of how much you can reduce the face count on a mesh with no loss of quality - From about 3,000 faces to just 80. And that's just a part of the model. It's time consuming though, so I don't plan on doing too many of these.
Attachments
Retopo.jpg
Retopo.jpg (169.19 KiB) Viewed 49832 times
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Latheos
Miner
Miner

I've learned that nothing says the RNGods love you in early game quite like finding an undamaged Absolution cannon during the freighter rescue for the Sisters of Domina. :-D
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I destroyed a Charon Pirate Stronghold in Rigel. A frigate pursued me back to the arena area. The frigate ended up accidentally going INSIDE the arena, even though I was hanging out outside. (this reminded me of when the arena boss used to be a Drake-class). Station defenders pursued it, destroyed it, then got stuck in the walls trying to get back to their stations.
Derakon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The day that the illegal miners decided to lay siege to the Black Market:

I wish I knew how this happened. There's over a dozen Borers and other miscellaneous claim-jumper ships periodically swinging by to attack the Black Market.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This happened entirely by chance.

Also: Observe the most broken loadout I could engineer. Could've gotten an even more impenetrable shield generator if I had been more serious about the trading posts.

Edit: Brokenness confirmed
Hunterfanta
Anarchist
Anarchist

JohnBWatson wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:30 am

This happened entirely by chance.

Also: Observe the most broken loadout I could engineer. Could've gotten an even more impenetrable shield generator if I had been more serious about the trading posts.

Edit: Brokenness confirmed
What the hell is a teraton trading post ? and how do you rank up in the black market ? and what is the stormhound ? i'm playing this game for the last two years and i never found out about these things
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A Teraton Trading Post appears in the game as a "Teraton Nest" and sells equipment(as opposed to conducting medical experiments or having a fabricator).

You rank up in the Black Market by buying and selling at their stations. Missions also help, though right now only one exists and it isn't all that exciting.

Stormhound is part of the newest quest chain. It's only been around for a little while.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

If CSCs are supposed to relocate to safe places, I shudder to think what a dangerous place would have looked like.
“This looks like a good place to park.” — Captain of the CSC Asia
“This looks like a good place to park.” — Captain of the CSC Asia
Screenshot.gif (183.84 KiB) Viewed 49636 times
 (This thing never would have survived if I hadn’t shown up. It probably wouldn’t’ve survived until I did show up if not for Shrike’s improvements to it in SM&M++.)

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

Here are images of two dockscreen minigames I made. Neurogue is a non-functional knockoff of Rogue and Lifehack is a working copy of Conway's Game of Life. Both were implemented through the heavy use of lists and structs. Did you know that (append list) creates a new copy of a list so that set@ and lnk functions will not change the original (sublists are not copied, so you will have to copy them manually)? Similarly, (struct struct) creates a new copy of a struct.

Neurogue

Lifehack

To run the Neurogue Demo, open the console and type in (netSetDefaults) and then (netShowScreen)
To run the Lifehack Demo, open the console and type in (lifSetDefaults) and then (lifShowScreen)

Edit: I have made a working copy of Neurogue
Attachments
Neurogue (Fixed).zip
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 1160 times
Neurogue and Lifehack.zip
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 1205 times
Last edited by 0xABCDEF on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

First image was made by drawing pixellated ship images in MS Paint. Second was made using basic edge detection on ship images.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

0xABCDEF wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:59 am
Here are images of two dockscreen minigames I made. Neurogue is a non-functional knockoff of Rogue and Lifehack is a working copy of Conway's Game of Life. Both were implemented through the heavy use of lists and structs. Did you know that (append list) creates a new copy of a list so that set@ and lnk functions will not change the original (sublists are not copied, so you will have to copy them manually)? Similarly, (struct struct) creates a new copy of a struct.

Neurogue

Lifehack

To run the Neurogue Demo, open the console and type in (netSetDefaults) and then (netShowScreen)
To run the Lifehack Demo, open the console and type in (lifSetDefaults) and then (lifShowScreen)
Both are amazing! Very cool!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The edge detection images look pretty cool. Was that a Paint.net extension, or did you write the code yourself?
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

JohnBWatson wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:54 pm
The edge detection images look pretty cool. Was that a Paint.net extension, or did you write the code yourself?
I wrote a simple edge detection algorithm in Java. For each pixel, make it dark if the adjacent pixel to the lower right differs in its red, green, or blue channel by more than 20. Otherwise, make it clear. Here is the code on GitHub and Here is an album of all the Transcendence images with edge detection
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That's pretty cool. Why not have it check, say, all four corner pixels? Might help alleviate the issue with certain sides not getting highlighted evenly.