Quantum Computers R Us [split from picture thread]

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

Ttech wrote:I'm sure we can come up with a solution. :)
Like this:
Some weird computer salesman wrote:Computer acting slow? Can't process that "Infinite variable"? We at Quantum Computers R Us have the solution: Just buy our new quantum computer! Just $10/0! You say that's an impossible number? That nothing could possible process it? Buy our quantum computer and you can finally figure out how much money you owe us!
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drako Slyith wrote:
Ttech wrote:I'm sure we can come up with a solution. :)
Like this:
Some weird computer salesman wrote:Computer acting slow? Can't process that "Infinite variable"? We at Quantum Computers R Us have the solution: Just buy our new quantum computer! Just $10/0! You say that's an impossible number? That nothing could possible process it? Buy our quantum computer and you can finally figure out how much money you owe us!
Your good, have you ever thought about writing this stuff down? :0
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I wrote it on the forum. Does that count? :)
stealthx
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

With a debt of $10/0, you will never be able to repay in your entire lifetime! :lol:
Be the hope of humanity. Be a Gundam Meister.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

technically $10/0 is infinity, which is why if you put it into a calculator the calculator says "Syntax Error". You'd have to pay all the money in the world and you still wouldn't come close. (because infinity isn't actually a physical or theoretical possibility)
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drako Slyith wrote:technically $10/0 is infinity, which is why if you put it into a calculator the calculator says "Syntax Error". You'd have to pay all the money in the world and you still wouldn't come close. (because infinity isn't actually a physical or theoretical possibility)
Actually I get "ERROR ERROR: SYNTAX ERROR"
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You know, they actually *do* have quantum computer componants. They're just not very good yet (6X6cm chip recently shown off had 4 Q-bits [Quantum Binary Units], IIRC...the stability is still unknown, and they reckon in a year, they'll be up to a whopping 10 q-bits. They need 100+ q-bits to rival modern binary computers.)

So by the time of Trans, everyone should be using them by default, and thus the Quantum CPU is redundant. :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

But theoretically atoms have infinite states, so you could have infinite q-bits. But you would need a quantum computer with infinite q-bits to develop the quantum computer with infinite q-bits. So as soon as we build an infinite processing computer we can build the infinite processing computer. :lol:
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

i know I replied to this something along the effect of quantom something but I blank now. Perhaps it was brains? I could use a brain like that.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote:You know, they actually *do* have quantum computer componants. They're just not very good yet (6X6cm chip recently shown off had 4 Q-bits [Quantum Binary Units], IIRC...the stability is still unknown, and they reckon in a year, they'll be up to a whopping 10 q-bits. They need 100+ q-bits to rival modern binary computers.)

So by the time of Trans, everyone should be using them by default, and thus the Quantum CPU is redundant. :P
But its not just *any* Quantum CPU, its a *Heisenmachines* quantum CPU. The marketing department has assured me that it is a state of the art computer with many, many q-bits and an impressive cooling system. Then he went off talking about quantum neural network structures which kinda went over my head, but it was cool stuff. :)

Did I mention that the data cubes are a proprietary storage format that not only has an impressive DRM system, but also manages to annihilate itself upon use to guarantee maximum profit.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drako Slyith wrote:But theoretically atoms have infinite states, so you could have infinite q-bits. But you would need a quantum computer with infinite q-bits to develop the quantum computer with infinite q-bits. So as soon as we build an infinite processing computer we can build the infinite processing computer. :lol:
Eventually, we'll have the quantum trinary unit. At which point we all update our vocabulary to keep abreast with the latest bad computer puns.
Did I mention that the data cubes are a proprietary storage format that not only has an impressive DRM system, but also manages to annihilate itself upon use to guarantee maximum profit.
THAT sounds more like a console company....I must remember to acquire Final Fantasy MDCCXXXVII the next time I'm at a corporate trade post...
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.