Hacking the Iocrym Neural Network

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Mikho
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hey, in versions 1.04/1.05 where the Iocrym have the computer in Heretic you must hack to win, how do you beat it? Have tried multiple times/strategies and failed, would welcome spoilers. To the mods, sorry if this is the wrong place, I've lurked here for years, but never really posted. Thanks. :)
Flying zombie monkeys+Commonwealth militia+coffee drunk while sitting in my customized, personalized Iocrym Battle Pod (God version)=one exciting day for a member of the Sindikat.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If you have a quantum cpu it gives you more virus to work with.
ImageImage
Thanks to digdug for the banners.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You have to try to not put to much virus and not let the computer get too much resistance, which is quite difficult to do.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Hey I was just doing that last night but I failed twice and then I tried again this time...the system kicked me out. AI wont allow me to continue. What am I going to do next? Any hints guys?
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

If you can't find any more stations, Iocrym sentinels will come and attack you. Some of them have research roms you can use. Also, the trick is to find a balance where the damage is near 0 and the resistance is reduced. The arrows actually tell you what you need to do I think. I've beaten it without quantum computers, but it is harder.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I probably haven't mentioned this, but I ripped off the mechanics of this from classic lunar lander simulations [although it is not a direct rip off--there are some subtle differences.]

Virus = fuel
Resitance = altitude
Change in resistance = velocity

If you inject the virus too slowly, you run out of virus before you break the AI.
If you inject too quickly, you crash the AI

My strategy is to inject enough virus to get close to breaking it; then I drop the virus load to get to a "soft landing"

While I like this particular mechanic, in retrospect I would have done things differently. In particular, the end-game is not generally the place to introduce a completely new mechanic. I should have had other places in the game where you can hack an AI (so the player can practice). The end-game one should have just been a harder version.

I might still do that. E.g., maybe you can hack Death Cubes (or something).
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Thanks a lot George. Oh I but on the screen of the neural network I see resistance falling slow (with 1 mil sec increments) while neural damage increase by the second. After that, it repairs itself. That's when I get confused. :?
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It's adapting to the virus, you need to up the dosage when it starts to repair.
ImageImage
Thanks to digdug for the banners.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

i personally liked the Neurohack the first time I encountered it-- it was a nice reprieve from blowing up enemy ships. However, it is hard to get the timing right . :)
i thought Neurohacking more AI's would be for the post Heretic game, but then I went through the silent Heretic gate.....
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:I probably haven't mentioned this, but I ripped off the mechanics of this from classic lunar lander simulations [although it is not a direct rip off--there are some subtle differences.]

Virus = fuel
Resitance = altitude

If you inject the virus too slowly, you run out of virus before you break the AI.

My strategy is to inject enough virus to get close to breaking it; then I drop the virus load to get to a "soft landing"

While I like this particular mechanic, in retrospect I would have done things differently. In particular, the end-game is not generally the place to introduce a completely new mechanic. I should have had other places in the game where you can hack an AI (so the player can practice). The end-game one should have just been a harder version.

Not bad, though I think we should have a lunar lander ship display on the viewer and you have to land it. :) Certainly it would be a strange place for such a thing.
Mikho
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks all for your help. Going to try it now. :D
Flying zombie monkeys+Commonwealth militia+coffee drunk while sitting in my customized, personalized Iocrym Battle Pod (God version)=one exciting day for a member of the Sindikat.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:I probably haven't mentioned this, but I ripped off the mechanics of this from classic lunar lander simulations [although it is not a direct rip off--there are some subtle differences.]

Virus = fuel
Resitance = altitude

Tie it into Point Juno and/or Charon, perhaps....some time earlier, there's missions to hack computers, the data from which results in those missions being a bit easier (reinforcements sent, or something).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Cpt. Niceguy
Miner
Miner

Virus = fuel
Resitance = altitude

George,are you me? :lol:
This signature is here solely for the purpose of you wasting time to actually read it.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:

Virus = fuel
Resitance = altitude

Tie it into Point Juno and/or Charon, perhaps....some time earlier, there's missions to hack computers, the data from which results in those missions being a bit easier (reinforcements sent, or something).

Oh no not Point Juno again. Remember Shrike the CSC Europa's armory? I'm still racking my brains out thinking what word to type to get in their vault.
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I save scummed the first couple times to get a feel for how fast the virus damages and how fast the AI adapts. I tend to pump out a high quantity of virus in the beginning and then drop down to almost nothing while the AI adapts, then pump it back up as the resistance drops to zero and hold it steady.
The first few times I played it though... I had no clue what I was doing >.>
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789