Kaidun shields as applied to a post-modern worldview

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've found the Kaidun to be rather weak, actually.

Though at 800Hp... +150% is 2000Hp. so that's the Largest Hp count in the Game.
If Transcendence was made in 3D, I would die of Happiness.

If you are reading this, then I have planted a deadly virus into your CPU. (not really, but you can never be too careful.)
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

Doesn't this five year old thread qualify for the necromancy rules :)

But anyway, I also prefer the kaidun. There's also the Nephran(?) which has ~16 hp/s regeneration, +150 gives it ~600 hp. It is almost unbreachable. The kaidun is best for fast, intense combat. The Nephran(?) is best for sustained combat.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yes, I guess I ressurected a five year dead thread.

I had no idea the Nephren had such high regen. My favorite shield generator is probly the R9, though it isn't powerful enough towards Heretic, even if enhanced 150%.

How about a Ceratops10T Qausi-armor? with resistance to thermo damage.

If you are reading this, then I have planted a deadly virus into your CPU. (not really, but you can never be too careful.)
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

have no fear split is here. :) You now no longer res.urface a two year old post.
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well, This thread should probly be renamed "Kaidun shields as applied to a post-modern worldview" or something, Cuz it no linger has anything to do wiyh the Antarctica. Anybody here ever tried the Lazarus?

Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Resident-Pyromaniac wrote:Well, This thread should probly be renamed "Kaidun shields as applied to a post-modern worldview" or something, Cuz it no linger has anything to do wiyh the Antarctica. Anybody here ever tried the Lazarus?
Thats a $5 surcharge and a continued presence on IRC. :P
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'm on IRC right now, actually. Thanx for changing the Thread Title. :D

Hey, what about shields optimized for particular attacks? like the Luminous shields can be resistant to, (off the top of my head) thermo, particle, ion, blast, laser, kinetic, and I think.. that's it. positron is probly the most effective method of destroying them. But there were the Solon and ion reflector, Why not a particle reflector? like a green etherium all the time.

Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The problem with the luminous shields is that they are a great idea for a large amount of disposable ships, because some are bound to be immune to the damage the enemy uses so there will be several that can shoot forever. The problem using them for one ship is that it doesn't block most other damage types, so you have a 1/8 roughly chance to be immune. That means you survive 1/8! great odds don't you think!
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yeah, but if you are facing an enemy that ONLY deals one kind of damage, it would effectively make you invincible. Nobody would use one anyway, though.

Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Lets say you're attacking some uraks. While fighting with a blast immune shield, our friendly neighborhood wind slavers come in and destroy you with their particle cannons. It's like insurance scams:
This is a great coverage. We give you a million credits if you are injured! So long as you were injured by a rhinoceros in a pink tutu flying through your front canopy while you were eating a toast covered in blue jelly next to a container of liquid nitrogen mixed with anti-freeze.
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yes, Though somewhat exaggerated, that is an excellent point. :D

Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

But, that's why you use your Particle immune shield to go and roflstomp the Sung first- or just use a tracking weapon to demolish them long before they are any real threat to you (Omni weapons and the SmartCannon are excellent examples).
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

So you use particle shield and are attacking the sung. In from the side comes a few meth enforcers with blast weapons and blast you out of existence because your shield won't work against their shots.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

...Meth enforcers? Oh, those things that die in two shots. :P Really, a wandering patrol of Meths wouldn't be any trouble at all in that example. Wandering patrols are too few in number, and you can easily eliminate them beforehand. Not only that, but having armor that's defensive towards a damage type not supported by your shield is an excellent method of preparing for such situations; they come in and smack your shield down, while you're retreating (lets make it a random Hurin, since that's actually a threat) and your blast-resistant plate takes the beating easily. You get away, recuperate, come back to either the Sung all dead or the Hurin dead, and then continue with what you were doing in the first place.

In other words: don't get greedy, and be smart about how you set up. It saves you pain and time.

...On that note, don't ever have your hand hovering over the p key with the Playerdrones mod active, in the drone dock screen. You will become the freighter with abysmal everything that you were using as a cargo drone, and you will self-destruct, losing your progress throughout the entire system.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The point of a shield is to block as much damage as possible and preserve the more expensive and difficult to repair armor. A shield that can't block all types of damage is useless when fighting multiple sovereigns.