the Enemy(?) and Ideas they gave me.

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

As a game, "Does it have loot and XP? Yes? Kill it!" The story is merely an (elaborate) excuse plot to kill things and take their stuff.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

shanejfilomena wrote:
rincewind wrote:IThat is easy but once you create a backstory you have to get into details..
Details are what kills me: I work for a long time on the .xml I publish ( notice there is only one out right now : I have several )
the thing is the details of missions and history and battle scenes and you want to make it all believable as the universe your playing in.

Unlike the auviq I published, the Rogue Command has working missions: ( yay!) and I got the Hospital to work right ( that was a huge let down in the Auviq because I made all those Oranges for the Hospital.......)

But working on details is the entire thing: I just spent hours searching for " unmatched quote " ( they match ) and figured out that the problem was not the quotes: it was the spacing.
There's a hospital? Yey! At last you made one. :)

Now seriously in plain thoughts about the Antarctica and Admiral Decker, you know guys what I felt when I saw the Aquilas destroy her (Helios CSC and all)? It's indescribable and it did make me feel sick. So sick that I pushed the Self Destruct button. If it were to happen in real life I'd follow Helios' stand. Decker actually made a martyr out of them. :!:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What Helios and everyone under her command did is disobey a direct order in the face of the enemy. That's treason in any nation and capital in any that has capital punishment for anything at all.

Even if she's right and she and everyone that obeyed her illegal orders need to be executed for that. Anything less makes a mockery of military discipline and threatens the survival of the Commonwealth.
Literally is the new Figuratively
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

Atarlost wrote:What Helios and everyone under her command did is disobey a direct order in the face of the enemy. That's treason in any nation and capital in any that has capital punishment for anything at all.

Even if she's right and she and everyone that obeyed her illegal orders need to be executed for that. Anything less makes a mockery of military discipline and threatens the survival of the Commonwealth.
I'm only seeing this in a civilians point of view, disobeying an order like in any job is a minor offence which is dealt with lightly e.g. 1st offense written reprimand, 2nd offense suspension, then you get the boot if you're still at it, still you can't get fired without due process. There was no due process, no trial. Execution without prejudice even in the military today is seen as injustice. :!:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

the reason we seem to think this way is our interpretation of Authority Figures balancing the questions of law with fact : regardless of what Helios did , being a Maverick and being a Hero is only two heartbeats different . Decker does not even allow the regulations to enter the scene ......from the start of the script Decker is doing a Wolfy on periweed with no munchies :: He takes it "Personal" from the start and even Patton would not act that way in any of the incidents under his command ( soldiers and sailors were pretty young compared to the movie star images of those times.."Pushing Tin" back then meant the Chain Gang not flying planes.:: I was a History Major once upon a school year)

EDIT
( forgot that there is a member called Wolfy for a minutes there, srry Wolfy! I was talking about a character I knew)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Due to the impracticality of holding the crew of a CSC in confinement executions would indeed be carried out in the field, and you can't arrest someone in a spaceship if they run or resist. The firepower involved makes it impossible. The only thing irregular is the involvement of an irregular, and you do hold a commission in the fleet. If you didn't the mission wouldn't be offered to you.

Remember that travel speeds outpace communications. That puts you in a pre-radio environment. Speeds are probably exaggerated for gameplay convenience. Real transit times are probably closer to age of sail than age of steam. Imagine a ship of the line doing what Antarctica did. What do you think the response would be?
rincewind
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Patton may not have but Mac A did. And probably cost a lot of lives. Wendall Fertig found that out the hard way.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:Due to the impracticality of holding the crew of a CSC in confinement executions would indeed be carried out in the field, and you can't arrest someone in a spaceship if they run or resist. The firepower involved makes it impossible. The only thing irregular is the involvement of an irregular, and you do hold a commission in the fleet. If you didn't the mission wouldn't be offered to you.

Remember that travel speeds outpace communications. That puts you in a pre-radio environment. Speeds are probably exaggerated for gameplay convenience. Real transit times are probably closer to age of sail than age of steam. Imagine a ship of the line doing what Antarctica did. What do you think the response would be?

This makes perfect sense ; even on Star Trek there were issues with communications at distances ,beyond federation space :
BUT: there is a CommonWealth colony in the system: they KNOW about the ship, that is the ringer that gets the teddybear in an uproar.

communications aside: the entire game knows about that ship......so it was not something that " just happened" Helios was obviuously out there for awhile.

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The existence of a colony really changes nothing at all. Whatever happens desertion in the face of the enemy would be tried in courts martial. And there can still be no such courts unless the Antarctica surrenders unconditionally.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:The existence of a colony really changes nothing at all. Whatever happens desertion in the face of the enemy would be tried in courts martial. And there can still be no such courts unless the Antarctica surrenders unconditionally.
EXACTLY: but the script does not let her have the option that is why I suggested the Fleet Assassins arrest the ship unless the player options in the dockscreen set off a battle: that way Helios goes out either with a bang or under arrest: but simply having pre-ordered ships out to destroy it is abit harsh, she has no options but to fight the fleet.
because it is so......" no other option" exists for the player's adventure and it leaves a player something to think about and eventually annoy you with the question of " what if?"

IF the ship makes it to the gate ( and it usually does not in my game ) it is basically " sneaking out"....we do not know it is going to stK, and the game script only assumes they MIGHT be, there is nothing definite about the escape by gate resulting script.
the relationships are changeable due to attack: so my idea of a different scenario that the dockscreen sets off .
We already KNOW the Fleet Assassins can destroy the ship : so if the player sets off the arrest scenario it is logical that Helios knows she can not win.

I am not so much trying to sound out the fairness of the Fleets actions actions: the more I think on it, I am , I believe, trying to figure in a better scenario for the ship and player ( note: my idea did come with battles so its not like it was simply giving up a ship )

shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:As a game, "Does it have loot and XP? Yes? Kill it!" The story is merely an (elaborate) excuse plot to kill things and take their stuff.
but the MORE you play the game the MORE you see the other options that are or should be available: like Mining/ trading / alternatives to stations in the game.....more of something or less of another.......this is how mod makers are created:) ( not that I am one, but I think I can I think I can I think I can )

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

shanejfilomena wrote:
Atarlost wrote:The existence of a colony really changes nothing at all. Whatever happens desertion in the face of the enemy would be tried in courts martial. And there can still be no such courts unless the Antarctica surrenders unconditionally.
EXACTLY: but the script does not let her have the option
She has no options. She's a scripted NPC. Since you're not privy to her radio traffic you are free to imagine that she is ordered to surrender and refuses since doing so would obviate her entire reason for deserting.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

GOOD POINT: I like this.......too bad we all had to go this far to get to that .

but STILL the game needs a more definite script if Helios " escapes" . other then that Ill take your answer and that day old blue Lumen for my pet.....