Why English

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

erik dela cruz wrote:
george moromisato wrote:This will get tricky once Part II comes out.

In Human Space it is just barely possible to suspend disbelief that everyone speaks English (even the Teratons). [If someone held a gun to my head and asked me to predict the most common languages of the 2400s, I would pick English and Mandarin--not necessarily in that order.]

But once you go out into the Galaxy and meet the Ancient Races, we will need some contrived explanation for how you can communicate with them.

My current plan is to require the player to obtain an AI that can translate from the languages of the Ancient Races to English.
When, when, when, when will it come out? I'm so excited already! I bet there are more cooler stuff in it, ya? :D

when its done. :P
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

universal translator?
even in Star Trek that device was not infallible to some races because descendants adapt languages with local dialects and basically destroy the original.....like the American Heritage Dictionary does...it used to be a great book but it's gone Rogue.

I think if your going to do a translation device module you could add into the globals some radio traffic picked up passing various planets or stations within say 10 40 how cool would it be if you fly past a planet and get radio traffic : some readable others " can not translate, "something" " ......or was that already in there?, my bad.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I apologize......I got that instant " idea" because my current .xml I am doing has timer radio traffic in it....just to keep me from feeling alone while I wait for the "Battle Alert! Protect All Friendlies!" ( meaning a station is destroyed someplace, but the ships I put in the game are FAST!, i can barely get any loot ...got to slow the Clare Dark down a little( that was what I named the ship that i would be racing to the scene if i want loot))
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Instead of a "cannot translate" pull an Orz where it transslates the the closest possible thing.
blizgerg
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Now that you are *campers* you will have more *parties*
Silly on #transcendence
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm pretty sure the reason for everyone speaking english is a TARDIS matrix and a babel fish, these are likely working together some how so stay tuned. :)
Datal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

If I have a simple program, I can translate Transcendence on Polish. But I don't know how to make this. It's just an intresting idea. It's posible ?