Who, or what, is Rowena?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
onyhow
Miner
Miner

I know that Rowena's ROM is for weapon and shield identification back in the old days, thus is practically useless now...but when I check the code, Rowena's vol 3-5 ROM are that of weapons and shields of Ancient Races up to Domina and Oracus! How does this person KNOW about that?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I checked it.... man that's crazy!
Simplest answer: design error.
Coolest answer: Rowna has had contact with alien races/tech. Maybe a researcher at St. Kats? Or maybe is one of them, infiltrating the Quarantine Zone...
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Design error is the best answer.

Originally you didn't get to see the stats on a weapon (e.g., hp damage) until you either installed the weapon or until you used the Rowena ROMs. In practice, though, that was a bad game mechanic. Since weapon stats do not change, people either memorized the stats or read the stats on the wiki ("Guide Dang It!").

At some point I made all stats visible and removed the Rowena ROMs from the game (notice that they are all set to "notrandom").

Rowena ROMs were designed very early in the process (long before 0.7) and definitely before I had a firm idea on how the game was going to progress. When Rowena ROMs were first included I hadn't yet decided how far humans had traveled into the galaxy.

One more piece of trivia: The name of the ROMs was inspired by the famous reference work, "Jane's Fighting Ships." I never bothered to figure out who "Jane" was, but it seemed a cool name for a reference guide.
onyhow
Miner
Miner

The funny thing is that you can actually still order the ROM from Corp. Trading Post...

Still, it's weird when the Gem of Despair and other gems mentions Halo Races, which if the Rowena ROMs are true, should be met around second half of act II...probably should fix the description...
Last edited by onyhow on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keratin
Anarchist
Anarchist

I do wish there was a way to have items identified without using them. The Bushido enhancer, for example, took me forever to identify. And I wasn't able to identify the kytryn launcher until beating the game and reading what it was on the inventory sheet.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The unidentified devices are kind of guide dang it as well.

The unknownenhancer2s are fine. They aren't readily distinguishable.

The unknownenhancer5s aren't. The particle accelerator and Rasiermesser enhancer weigh 1.5 tons and are both iffy. The former because it's a small bonus to a frequently resisted type and the latter because Rasiermesser weapons are mostly ammo weapons. The Makayev enhancer and howitzer speed loader are 2 tons, but are frequently used together anyways. The Makayev and Rasiermesser can also be identified by showing up in Makayev and Rasiermesser factories.

The unknownenhancer8s aren't plural. There's actually only the Bushido enhancer.

The unknownaliendevices are mostly either garbage or distinguished by slot or both. The Kytryn Launcher is the only unknown launcher. The inertialess drive is the only unknown drive. The jumpdrive is the only unknown generic nonweapon that can appear anywhere but the ICS. The kytryn blaster is unique by mass. The alien shields are both of questionable value. The only case where something that might be good can be confused with something else is the fracture cannon being confused with the repeller.
Literally is the new Figuratively