Does anybody actually use the wiki besides the Legend page?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

What the topic says. I'm interested to know.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The damage tables are also unique to the wiki and a handful of other things, but the wiki is terrible to use right now.
Literally is the new Figuratively
jimj316
Miner
Miner

It's hard to mavigate and harder to edit :(

I don't see why we can't use Mediawiki instead of this weird Dokuwiki thing T_T
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I use the legend page, and sometimes the event page... ohh, and the one page changelog too. It would be nice with a beautifully organized wiki, but that is a huge amount of work. If changing the software would make a difference, i don't know.
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
st753m
Anarchist
Anarchist

I use the wiki. I've also been doing my best to add information to it.

Dokuwiki was easy enough to figure out how to edit things in, just by looking at the pre-existing pages as examples.

I think a major problem is that people need to jump through hoops just for the ability to edit. Yes, it keeps out spammers, but it also intimidates potential new editors. I know I debated for a few days whether to join an unfamiliar program (IRC) just to get permission. If I'd only wanted to fix a single page, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

st753m wrote:I know I debated for a few days whether to join an unfamiliar program (IRC) just to get permission.
Yeah. but it paid off in the end :D

I think what we can do is set up a thread requesting changes to the wiki, and wiki editors would be able to add the missing information.
Also, since we're getting new editors, I might come up with a simple style page on how to add information on the wiki.
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Darkhobbit
Anarchist
Anarchist

Actually I am using it quite a bit since I just discovered the game a couple of weeks ago. The information is a tad erratic in quality and quantity, but much better than guessing at items and such.

Big thank you to George Moromisato for this and Anacreon as well as all the modders and major figures in the community that I've seen so far. Of course I also hate some of the modders since I've restarted so many times to try out different mods and haven't finished a game yet. It's all your fault, really, not my short attenti...oooh...butterflies.
:D
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I use it quite a bit for looking up miscellaneous info. Just... a shame that it's under-maintained. I'm going to do my part and contribute soon, though :)

Plenty of ideas so far.

Based on my experiences participating in various online communities over the past 15 years or so, I'd wager there's quite a significant "silent majority" of players who aren't forum users, IRC regulars or registered Xelerus contributers. These people use the wiki for most of their info needs.

Are the wiki's stats visible anywhere? Would like to test this hypothesis. :P

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi darkhobbit, welcome to the forums! I'm currently working on the wiki, and you can work on it too by improving on things that need improvement.
That being said, I also challenge you to play my permadeah challenge ;) [link is in my sig]

@willy ask Ttech or wolfy on IRC, they might have wiki stats.
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

What are you working on wiki-wise, RPC? I'll try not to get in your way ;D

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Making the information a lot cleaner. For example, I redid the list of systems page to have a much easier to understand format. I'm also going through existing pages and making small corrections (as evidenced by the numerous amounts of edits on the recent changes page on the wiki).

The most important thing I'm doing is actively linking pages to each other, and scratching off the pages I have in my wiki edits request thread.

Thanks to st753m for helping out as well, and making great edits as well as making a spiffy roms page that I can scratch off the edit request list :D
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'll see if we cannot get the restructuring done, however it is based on 6 month old data archive
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

First article edit done. Thought there was some crucial info missing, so it was added. More to come. http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... ation_chip

WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You know, now that someone's finally adding the individual ships... we really need a page that they're centrally linked from. Like the (currently VERY desolate-looking...) http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence/wiki/ships

I'm also missing the "pages that link to this page" feature that wikipedia has... think that would be REAL useful.

RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

WillytheSquid wrote:I'm also missing the "pages that link to this page" feature that wikipedia has... think that would be REAL useful.
Yeah, that's why I'm pretty focused on cross linking everything.