Succession #2 Modlist ideas

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Eh, the Hornet is way too limited in nearly every aspect except for speed and maneuverability. If we were to use one of the non-stock ships I'd suggest the Manticore since it can hold up to 150 tons of cargo, never seems to never get overburdened, has a decent amount of device slots, can support armour up to 12 tons (I think) and has very acceptable maneuverability. My only gripe with it is that it's a bit slow at times.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

What's the fun of that?

How about a centauri raider?
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I don't consider crippling myself to be very fun. Sorry. Since the succession games are played by many different people I thought it would be best to have a ship that works okay for everyone so that everyone can have fun.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Cirevam: If we have playership drones you can always shipchange to something you like ;)
Atarlost: I know you don't play with mods, so I'm not even going to bother with your comments.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You can't just shipchange that easily: you need a shipyard and cash. I'd suggest picking a ship everyone's okay with and sticking with it.
Literally is the new Figuratively
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, edited first post with a link to the Extensions.zip so people can see the lag ingame. It might take a while before it gets fully uploaded though.
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, added autogate to the list.
However, judging by lack of response, it seems that I will have to choose which mods get added again. :/
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

StarWeaver didn't cross-post here, but you might want to look at his last report in SG1.

Named Ore should really go and I'd take a hard look at anything you're thinking of using that wasn't in SG1 that uses enumeration in timers. I suspect Gravity with DynSys is asking for trouble. Lots of AI ships shooting at other AI ships and missing because the AI can't account for gravity and gravity doing vector operations on all those shot objects...
Literally is the new Figuratively
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Test the mod out and tell me how it goes.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

PM wrote:Named Ore may also be a resource hog. It updates the name of each ore at *EVERY* frame. It has to or else the names do not move smoothly with moving ore.
(Also, re atarlost)

Heh, yeah, I just remembered to come here. Named ore seemed to be a /bigger/ FPS killer than 5 ferian nests in the same system. PM, can you change named ore to have something that gets ore within (1024/30) light seconds from the player every few seconds and starts their label events, and keep all the other ones from refreshing the rest of the time?

Or can we just make different ore graphics for each ore type? That sounds like more fun and dosen't involve timers :D.

At the minimum I could put together a file with a bunch of copies of geroge's ore chunk with the label next to it IN the graphic for known ore types. It wouldn't tell you quantity, of course, but it would let you leave the plasteel floating about without the Named Ore preformance hit

BTW, PM, I found out about your ore name every frame stuff when I was looking for a way to put some extra HUD info on the screen. I think it will work OK for my purposes cause I'll only need a couple of them, ever, but I was kind of shocked that it had to be done in such a intense manner.
Last edited by Star Weaver on Tue May 08, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I always thought that named ore named the ore station that popped out. It seems like an easier solution than naming another station and telling it to follow the ore station.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

RPC wrote:I always thought that named ore named the ore station that popped out. It seems like an easier solution than naming another station and telling it to follow the ore station.
No, it keeps recreating a second label station to track the ore as it moves, because apparently relocation the second station isn't possible (from thet comments in the code).

Hey PM! Idea! Store each ore's position on the object and only delete/create the station if the position has changed? Possibly downgrade it to a slower timer if the position hasn't changed in a while.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Have you tried disabling Named Ore ingame to see if the game sped up? (Go to ship configuration to find the toggle.) All that disabling names does is prevent (and bypass) the creation of new labels (while old labels expire). Optimizing the code may do little good if merely the act of checking a recurring event each frame is the cause of slowdown.

Names, once created, cannot move. If they could, I would not need a recurring event to add and destroy invisible stations with a name centered on ore each frame. I gave ore a recurring event that pings every frame because even updating names for (fast) moving ore at every other frame appears jerky.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I found a way to optimize Named Ore, but it has an undesirable side effect: Ore becomes impervious to damage (WMD). More details coming soon in another thread.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
jimj316
Miner
Miner

The mods I would recommend, based on my own experience;
Captain's log, so we can leave messages for each other
Repair droids, since they're the best mod ever
Autogate
Crystal Iocrym
WE4 and 400 weapons
UG Wingmen

And some I really don't want:
No Powers