Immunities?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

George, what is considered as the immunity threshold for armor and shields per level?
Curious since I used barrels of particle enhancers on a set of lvl 8 armor which then stated the armor was immune to particle. I lost shields to a CyberDeck: LowerShields yet those windslavers Sure-I-can cannon's were chewing up my armor with ease!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Good point--I just checked and the code assigns the description "immune" if the armor takes less than 20% of damage. This means that a hit on your armor of 5hp or less will do no damage (since damage less than 1hp doesn't count).

I think I should change that threshold to 10% or something (and maybe add another description at 50%):

Armor takes less than 100% of damage: "resistant"
Armor takes less than 50% of damage: "very resistant" (??)
Armor takes less than 10% of damage: "immune"
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

how about... "highly resistant". or maybe... "Resistant +"
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think resistant should be 90% or less. If it's 99%, then I wouldn't really call that resistant.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Naw, i'm still going for the 10% for immune. 80-90% for resistant sounds good, though.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think adding another resistance description is needed and would also help narrow the gap between them as well. 50% is a good balance for the better resistance.

10% for immune would work best, I think, since it would raise the difficulty a little with the harder-to-kill enemies that have immune-based armor. And would also help the player as well with all the different types of armor selections along with the armor enhancers applied.

Overall, this would also slightly change the style of game-play for some, and for the better. Just seeing a type of armor that states "very resistant" or "highly resistant", (whichever would be used) could see some players using armors they've never tried before.
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

Thanks for eliminating a question I was going ask, FAD and George. :)

Anyway, here is my suggestion:

10% Immune
25% Absorbent
40% Tough
60% Very Resistent
80% Resistent
The universe is illogical. Get over it.

-----------------------------------------

I cannot be held accountable for anything I say that offends you. I never intentionally offend anyone.
If I offended you, it was an accident and I am sorry.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think the word "absorbent" sounds a lot weaker than the word "resistant".
Karl
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Technically, "immune" should be 0 percent, no higher. Even taking 1 percent damage isn't immune. If a game tells me an armor is "immune" to lasers, and I get killed by lasers, then I would feel that game was lying to me (or was buggy), even if it took a thousand shots to kill me.

Also, I think "resistant" should mean something significant. An armor that takes 90% of normal damage isn't very "resistant", and if the game tells me that it is, I might go into battle thinking my armor is actually going to absorb some significant damage when in fact it's really doing not much at all.

That being said, here are my suggestions for damage modifier labels:

<=75% Hardened
<=50% Resistant
<=25% Ultra Resistant
<=0% Immune

p.s. Absorbant sounds like a paper towel. :) Actually... it would be cool if armor/shields that are "absorbant" actually GAINED strength when hit by the specified weapon. An advanced alien technology, perhaps...
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

Don't dis de absorbantcy!

Not a bad idea though, armor/shields that get stronger when hit by a certain type of weapon.
The universe is illogical. Get over it.

-----------------------------------------

I cannot be held accountable for anything I say that offends you. I never intentionally offend anyone.
If I offended you, it was an accident and I am sorry.