How many on the forums are NOT Vanilla purists?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.

Vanilla Purist or Not?

Vanilla
17%
Mods
83%

Total votes: 24
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Just curious.
How many mods to you play with, and what kind?
Challenge, Quality of Life, or Newbie booster mods?
Which ones are the most popular/favorite one in your Extensions folder?
EDIT:
Huh, forgot I could make polls.
Last edited by RPC on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

You didn't make this a poll? Well, I think I've show you my hundred lines of mod loading before ....
Cimanyd
Miner
Miner

I mostly prefer mods that make the game easier, or add more things, and stay away from mods that make the game harder without any reason other than to make the game harder (such as No Domina Powers), or make the game much harder (such as Dynamic Systems, sorry RPC :().

Some examples of mods I like:
The Mining Pack changes mining a lot, making it much easier and more useful.

800+ New Weapons adds many new omni weapon options, and I use the EI500, so I always use an omni as my main weapon.

Some of the 912 packs: the Items Pack adds some helpful new items, the Relief Pack gets rid of several annoying things (e.g. abandoned crates destroying stuff), and the Reactors Pack gives an extra device slot by making reactor upgrades not take a slot, and can save money on upgrades by letting you skip some if you want.

All Items Known makes all unknown items be identified automatically.

Autogate automatically "gates" your ship if you get within a certain distance of a stargate (which you can see as a blue ring around the gate), which makes using stargates easier and faster.

Some other small or simple changes I like that make things a little easier or make the game less annoying, in no particular order:
Start With Free Targeting Program
Empty Wrecks Explode
Fabricator Overwrite
No More Key Hints
Remember Europa Code

Note: I use plenty more mods, these are just examples and some of the ones I like the most.
EI500 is best
IRC user (sometimes)
Wiki editor

Not really around anymore, but hoping for Part II
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I mostly use mods I'm working on since I don't play much anymore unless I'm testing something.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Same. I'm either running vanilla or testing something. Occaisionally Network as well.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All of my recent time for Transcendence is for mod development.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well I completed the game once without mods but now It's free reign I like to use mods which add some Meat into the game and then add more mods to make those things easier to deal with; then there are preference mods which just remove or change some of the odd or more annoying things about the game:

DySys, The Network, Fellow Pilgrims

PSD, Identify option, 912 reactors pack, Repair droids, Auton assembly hanger, ASW Mods, Extruder Auton.

preferences: (stuff which makes things simpler to use) NoDockNavBeacons &etc.

Otherwise I'd like to see more things happen with mods like DySys and The Network If I go hunting down sung slaver camps I want the whole damn sung faction tracking me down, I want the other (hostile) factions after me because the sung have put a bounty on my head, Regardless of which system I'm in!

Oh yeah and more War action :D
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I recently restarted playing Transcendence totally vanilla.
That's because I'm going for an high-score. :D

Also because I never finished the game on permadeath. :shock: (and it's about time I do :P )
CYRUS KGABO
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Whats permadeath and vanilla anyway
Cimanyd
Miner
Miner

CYRUS KGABO wrote:Whats permadeath and vanilla anyway
Permadeath is trying to play the game without ressurecting (if you die, the death is permanent). Vanilla means playing with no mods.
EI500 is best
IRC user (sometimes)
Wiki editor

Not really around anymore, but hoping for Part II
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I can't say I have ever really played a pure vanilla game, though I do like the ice cream.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

The only reason why i play vanilla nowadays is that I want to find any quirk in the game that needs attention.....or I want to find a quirk to give me the attention......ok, I want to find a bug that George would find interesting so I'll end up in the "Ideas and Testing" credits. Hehehe. :mrgreen:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I STILL play 1.01 : with and without extras : the reason I enjoy the straight game is the reason we all "fell in love with it" : it also is inspiring as to what we all think it is " mising " in terms of story , devices : commerce, mining..... etc ..

IT WILL NEVER GET PERFECT :) there will always be an extra mile that we ALL can go to help with ideas and testing.

but that is the attraction.

the problem with playing with the extras : you loose your edge : you loose sight of the core issues you were inspired by and start getting side-tracked , weakened... then when you go back to 1.01 you get your tail waxed by Arco.

it happens...

If we forget the past : we will never conquer the future.

I like to Keep those "older versions" and the Official one on tap : it is like a library of experience and an education of a lifetime of great pilots that have followed the call of Domina.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I do pure vanilla bug-hunting tests (as in, finding errors with the core game), and use only the mods that I'm actively developing (+Godmod) when developing mods; reasons for that are obvious - I don't want to introduce other variables. I haven't really had time in a long time to find some mods I'd like and do a playthrough.

I'd say a lot of the so-called purism is actually due to simple practicality (as stated above)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Ok, I guess I need to redefine Vanilla purists as people who play the game only Vanilla, without mods and are not bugtesting :P
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.