[George] Ship dimensions and scale

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

For a while I and some other people in IRC have been having discussions about the dimensions of some of the ships, specifically the Wolfen. On IRC Day George said that he would post the exponential scale if we reminded him, so here's that reminder!

And if anyone hasn't seen this topic yet, there's a bunch of work-in-progress images in this topic that I have made.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I just figured the sizes were more place holders and made game play easier. I can't imagine actually trying to use the artificial moon or 10k starship at the pixels listed.

In my mind there should be a cap, probably 1/3 the main screen size (or 1/9 the screen area). I would think a log function would work better for this purpose where you have a limited space to show representations. Images would still get bigger but would have a definite limit and the difference would taper more quickly.

At some point the complexness, or lack thereof, of the ship or base would be what would make it seem bigger. For instance the artificial moon is more or less round. There aren't huge noticeable spires or landing ramps when you view it at a scale were you can see the whole thing, it looks like a moon, more or less smooth.

Dividing the planets, stations and ships is still a good idea, as mentioned they're not on the same plane and it helps create depth.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

A small gunship is 25 meters long, and my Wolfen is 25.5 meters long. It looks like I was in the right ballpark. The rest of these will be useful too. Thank you George!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

this is pretty awesome, too bad we can't do one of those scale charts! Or maybe we can. :o
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Scale chart! Just three ships and a station, but it gives you an idea. From left to right, Wolfen (25m), Charon Frigate (100m), Xenophobe Worldship (350m), Armored Commonwealth Station (1km), The Prince (5cm). I'm not sure if the frigate counts as a "large gunship" but it is 128px long so I guess it's in that class.

http://imageshack.us/a/img338/2402/scaletest000.jpg
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Cirevam: Nice! Mind if I add it to wiki?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'd like to make a nicer one first, at least one with textures, maybe some extra ships and one of the smaller stations. Give me a few days, then you're welcome to add it.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Ok, sweet :D
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Thanks George!

Now, I look at small gunship and think Hornet, not Wolfen. Is the Wolfen meant to be a small gunship or a medium gunship, George?
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The hornet is a battlepod; basically a gun on a rocket engine.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
Xanthe V
Miner
Miner

Alright. I've made a new ship called the Longsword-class frigate. 24 armor segments, plus dual and omni-directional equipment. By the way dont forget D' MAG launcher... :wink: Anyway, I also made a version of it 4 Playership Drones V5 (Warning: Requires PSDV5). If U wanna download pls click on d' link.

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1216
Let's get this show on the road.

By the way, my username on Xelerus is Alfael X. heheheh... ;-)

Stats:

-A pilot of a Stalwart-class gunship

-Fleet Lieutenant of the Commonwealth Fleet

-A new Xelerus user
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I always thought of the battle pod as and escape pod with a gun maybe the size of an auton or a little bigger.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Ok, I've hit upon a nice little natural log function that pretty well follows the current size chart but that tapers the bigger ships that for the most part haven't come up yet. It gets a little different in places but for game planning of part II should work nicely.

Just to be clear, this is only a suggestion.

This equation is for ships.
Y= pixels
X=meters
Y=3((ln(X))^2.5)

The original formula Y=5(X^0.7) and the proposed one look like fingers crossing on a graph for the most part.
The ship chart would come out as such.

meters - ln function - exponent function
10,000 - 772 px - 3,150 px
5,000 - 635 px - 1,950 px
2,500 - 513 px - 1,200 px
1,000 - 376 px - 640 px
500 - 288 px - 390 px
350 - 249 px - 300 px
250 - 215 px - 240 px
100 - 136 px - 128 px
50 - 91 px - 78 px
20 - 46 px - 48 px
10 - 24 px - 25 px
5 - 10 px - 15 px

You can see right off that the larger ships are a more manageable size where the small ships aren't a lot different. 5, 10 and 20 meter ships probably wouldn't change at all since the size is so similar. I wouldn't suggest a 10 pixel ship. 50 and 100 meter ships might need to be resized up a little and the rest start to resized down. Of course everything was rounded in the first place so it might not be an issue with images at all until you hit small capital ships, 250 meters.
I also looked at making the 3 a 2.8 but the ships were getting a little small at the larger ship end and would not have been big enough.
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Here's a sample of various ships from Hornet to Phobos:

Stations and more ships will come later.