The Manticore

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

This spec sheet describes the capabilities of the player Manticore. In the Corporate Command expansion you'll be able to choose it as one of the starting ships.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

how did it get all rusty if it's in space

i ain't buying this ship george it's got "katrina" written all over it
Datal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Is that mean that ship selection panel will get a new white pearl design ?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Datal wrote:Is that mean that ship selection panel will get a new white pearl design ?
No, unfortunately not. This is just something I put together in Photoshop. But it could make a cool poster!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Beautiful poster, George ! :D

And I love to see that the ship will have special properties such as a shield modifier !
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

I just read this only today George, sorry. i love this ship so i ask: is there a possibility for the manticore becoming a vanilla playership someday? i can only play this with PM's playership mod. :?:
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Did you know that one section of this ships armor (5x10 meters at 120mm thickness) is 48 metric tons (that is dependent on the density of stainless steel which is 7.85g/cm3 or ~8000 kg/m3)? Making the total cost for the armor of this ship (based on today's prices of grade 304 stainless steel) $864,000! What is the average size of an armor segment (width length and thickness) for Transcendence? Because I can do four segments of titanium for 350 kilograms and 10 credits each.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

the one thing that i find annoying about this is the offset in the weapons firing system.
i hadnt read anything about the manticore till just now,so i guess it kind of makes sense that there would be one side for weapons and one side for missiles. yet still, somehow it feels oddly unsymmetric. id prefer it having a centrally mounted main weapon system and support for maybe two secondary weapons/launchers.
another thing i feel that this ship isnt much better than the vanilla freighter option.

comparisons between the e1500 freighter and the manticore

1) same speed - fixed by getting a decent enough engine/drive etc
2) more armor segments - usually means having to fork out more credits and rins to get those two extra segments, not to mention having to hunt for another two segments of armor
can be a benefit if you factor the critical armor segments into place, but i dont think playerships have noncritical segments. one more plausible benefit is if you decide to get the entire omsk armor segments and the shield generator. though i do see a scope for getting two solar armor segments installed at the sides as they are not easy to hit if you are either going head on towards enemies or flying away along a direct line and they do refuel your reactor.
3) Same maximum weight armor segments as the freighter
4) the manticore starts off with a seemingly impenetrable armor thanks to its armor regenerator which would work wonders with the higher grade worldship armor and even heavy meteorsteel armors. however this benefit can be easily balanced by the fact that you can order the armor healer from any regular trade post in the mid game.
5) more space for guns on the manticore
6) the freighter can install the scanshielded cargo hold for hiding illegal goods without facing any penalty in cargo limits. this is very important for me because the amount of useful loot gets pretty heavy towards the later stages of the game. i hate having to keep shuttling back and forth between destroying stuff and selling the loot to nearby blackmarket/teratons

i havent gone through the later stages of the game with the manticore, but i cant seem to find as strong a reason to pick it over the e1500 freighter as i thought i would.
what are your thoughts guys?

P.S im not sure if the vanilla frieghter is the e1500 or not,but im talking about the standard freighter you have in the vanilla game
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

also one more thing that would be important with regard to the seperate weapons pods.
the howitzers produce a huge amount of recoil. the recoil would need to be balanced throughout the entire ship for it to effectively just move backwards the way say the wolfen or the sapphire would. the recoil from an offset weapon like a howitzer would produce a non negligible rotational torqueon the entire ship, which would make it rotate as well as move backward like how it is in the game. this is one other incongruity that i think is slightly off about this otherwise balanced ship
Metallicow
Miner
Miner

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:how did it get all rusty if it's in space

i ain't buying this ship george it's got "katrina" written all over it
haha, not very funny. until you get a SunkenShip from the scrapyard that still half runs. Then it becomes more of a lemon with age.

Looks more like it is flying through a barrage of white oddly shaped mystery shots from a PaintballShip in the middle of combat somewhere in the milky white galaxy. Seems like it took a few hits or flak.

Or, who knows... maybe george was enjoying some finely crushed space dots(freeze-dried icecream) when he was post processing. Mmmm space dots..... gee is that in the game yet....?
Encourage Modding
Wrye Bash