The Heisenmachines Quantum CPU: Do you use it?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.

Do you make use of the QCPU? With which ships?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:07 pm

No, never
30%
Only temporarily to use enhancement cubes, then it goes
23%
Yes
17%
Only in ships with excess non-weapon only slots
17%
In ships with all or primarily unrestricted slots or with excess non-weapon slots
10%
Even in ships with limited non-weapon slots
3%

Total votes: 30
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If you have any additional thoughts on the QCPU algorithm cubes please post those in the comments
Literally is the new Figuratively
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

very important specially in the Heretic. :)
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

To me this is one more aspect that just bogs down the game play. I also don't use Domina powers though so it's not a slot issue.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It doesn't really give any real bonus besides "more enhancement items which you can't identify before using which can cause serious issues if they go wrong". The sentinel scramblers in heretic are nice, but not essential and annoying to use (generally I just GoS the iocrym anyway, which renders it pointless).

If it did something really awesome, like support more visual functions (aiming reticules, etc), allow for better commands for autons (grouping into minisquads, formation control for groups/overall formation, being able to order by group, and so forth), and/or apply some kind of constant bonus (a small efficiency enhancement to everything, for example)*, I'd probably use it on certain types of playthroughs. But as it is....it's not that useful.

*Actually, having a whole set of functions, which you could cycle between at will through the ship interior screen (Auton Control, Power Optimisation, Shield Optimisation, etc) with a cooldown between each switch would be really handy if it could be balanced.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I always want to use it, but most of the time I just can't stuff it on my ship. The essential things are already in every slots.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Miguk
Anarchist
Anarchist

I think if I had just one more slot, this is what I would use it for.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think sun1404 captured my thoughts on it:
sun1404 wrote:I always want to use it, but most of the time I just can't stuff it on my ship. The essential things are already in every slots.
and to a lesser extend
Miguk wrote:I think if I had just one more slot, this is what I would use it for.
seems to be always true for me.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
Autohummer
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

If it is a slotless device, then it may be useful. (A CPU can't possibly be large enough to take a device slot, can it?) But in its current state I always ignore it, as the benefits the one-shot cubes give me is rather limited and unreliable for the CPU's cost in terms of slots and credits. (Why are the cubes consumed after use? Write-Once-Read-Once memory makes no sense except in spy movies.)
Has resurfaced!
CYRUS KGABO
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

ok i see most people dnt use the QCPU bt i always have it in my ship reguardless of the available ship slot.usualy i need it most in point juno nd heretic for slowing down the sentinels.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There are three times I would consider installing a qcpu, if my playership is not limited to four non-weapon slots or less:
* Use scramble cubes in Huaramarca.
* Make neurohack mission at Heretic easier.
* Use virus cubes at Heretic (if I took Lamplighter instead of GoS).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Luminous Tame. :D
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yeah I've used it, like, once in the entire time I've played, just to learn which cubes do what (some break your shield, which leads to pain) otherwise I have never subverted the luminous in ways other than sheer energy pwnage and neither have I successfully completed the Virus/hacking part of breaking Quarantine.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The CPU cubes aren't really functionally distinctive. Some of them modify equipment permanently, like field crystals and ROMs. The others are meant to be used during combat, like gems or domina powers. (U)sing stuff during combat is a pain because it locks your controls.

I think the CPU would be cooler if instead of just causing instantaneous effects, it ran sustained programs.

Instead of being single use, program cubes would have 4-8 charges, similar to the new analyzer. When you use a cube, its program is in effect continuously until you use a different cube. You can only have one program running at a time.

For example, take the shield strength and efficiency cubes. Right now they behave like field crystals, directly enhancing a shield and overwriting existing enhancements if applicable. The CPU could be more interesting if using these cubes instead created a bonus that stacks with the shield's existing enhancement, similar to how weapon enhancers work. This would let you get more creative with field crystals while still enjoying the benefits of a strengthened shield.

Likewise, the Luminous 5care and 7ame programs when run could have a continuous, passive effect that periodically converts or scares off individual drones rather than a one-time effect that hits every drone on screen.

You could also have a program that interferes with guided missiles, a program that adds an ionization effect to installed ion weapons, and so on and so on.

This would introduce a tactical element by encouraging the player to pick the right program to have running before entering combat, rather than requiring them to (U)se the right cube at the right moment during combat.

For super bonus points, the CPU could get its own function key on the keyboard. Hitting this key would terminate the currently running program and put the CPU on cooldown but produce a special effect. With a shield program running, this could immediately bring a downed shield back up to 25% strength. With a Luminous program running, it could recreate the current 5care functionality and scare off every drone on screen. Etc., etc.
durbanator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:The CPU cubes aren't really functionally distinctive. Some of them modify equipment permanently, like field crystals and ROMs. The others are meant to be used during combat, like gems or domina powers. (U)sing stuff during combat is a pain because it locks your controls.

I think the CPU would be cooler if instead of just causing instantaneous effects, it ran sustained programs.

Instead of being single use, program cubes would have 4-8 charges, similar to the new analyzer. When you use a cube, its program is in effect continuously until you use a different cube. You can only have one program running at a time.

For example, take the shield strength and efficiency cubes. Right now they behave like field crystals, directly enhancing a shield and overwriting existing enhancements if applicable. The CPU could be more interesting if using these cubes instead created a bonus that stacks with the shield's existing enhancement, similar to how weapon enhancers work. This would let you get more creative with field crystals while still enjoying the benefits of a strengthened shield.

Likewise, the Luminous 5care and 7ame programs when run could have a continuous, passive effect that periodically converts or scares off individual drones rather than a one-time effect that hits every drone on screen.

You could also have a program that interferes with guided missiles, a program that adds an ionization effect to installed ion weapons, and so on and so on.

This would introduce a tactical element by encouraging the player to pick the right program to have running before entering combat, rather than requiring them to (U)se the right cube at the right moment during combat.

For super bonus points, the CPU could get its own function key on the keyboard. Hitting this key would terminate the currently running program and put the CPU on cooldown but produce a special effect. With a shield program running, this could immediately bring a downed shield back up to 25% strength. With a Luminous program running, it could recreate the current 5care functionality and scare off every drone on screen. Etc., etc.
i agree with this. i really would love to see this in a new release.
personally i really dont have the space to install the qcpu. the algorithms kinda do good only if you already know what they do, but then that slot would be much better off served using a patcher arm or a drive upgrate. the current implementation of the qcpu is very limited in its functions, mostly showing its most usefulness in the heretic system. it can be swapped out for some of the missions in the heretic, but otherwise i dont think its currently worth it
KA101
Miner
Miner

Hmm, yeah. I THINK the Aguptera Cortex lets one use quantum cubes, but don't quote me on that. Stuff like QCPUs was why I always used hardpoint-extenders. Too much stuff in the game for one item-slot-cramped ship.

But some of the stuff, especially in mods, was pretty nice. (Dragonslayer +50%, w00t!)

:-/