Corporate Command Game Balance

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Aeon Blaze
Miner
Miner

PM wrote:
Shrike wrote:Problems with getting the Ion9 are serious, but could probably be fixed by tweaking vanilla in a future version to make the Dvalin sidequest more realistic.
I need to give multiple undamaged level 9 and 10 items to have a realistic chance to get the Ion9. Might as well keep one of them and sell or transmute the rest. Dvalin as currently implemented is the biggest trap in the game.

Dvalin sidequest for me is not quite worthwhile because by the time i get a chance at the ion9, i have already outfitted my ship with level 9 or 10 gear. And by that time most of our weapons outperform ion9.

The ion9 is pretty cool if we could get a shot at getting it bit earlier.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Manticore:

I found that the manticore's early vulnerability to emp and radiation to be a pretty null point as shields go down quickly, and i do everything i can to keep my armor level as high above the system level as possible and going for armors with immunities to EMP as quickly as possible - rather, what I found to be a problem was obtaining all 6 segments of armor I needed. Its more costly, makes my strategy over 50% harder to pull off (as armor segments appear in clusters of only 4, and the cost inflation is already +50%).

I usually dont use shields much (ie, i leave a level II or III shield equipped) after the first few systems until ~level VII or so.

So its not really worth it to me

Freyr:

I haven't tried this ship too extensively, but the whole swivel autotargeting issue i found to be a problem.

Constellation:

The gun and auton are pretty much useless, but with enough skill you can use the gun for all its worth and get some decent cash to swap it out early on in the first system. The Autosentinel dies just too quickly. No point in it other than to sell it immediately. I still managed to do a permadeath run that only ended once i distractedly flew into a huari fortress on my way to pick up some better armor. I had a ridiculous amount of cash by that point (enough that i was at the point that barring stupid mistakes - like what i did - i would have been able to coast through the rest of the game effortlessly), and that was without exploiting the 'sell the bay' and without any mining at all - purely through combat & trade. (As I just can't stand mining in its current form). M-1i autons were my favorite autons to use with this ship. Buying them in the first system I think is what got me the head start I needed to succeed.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I would suggest making the Ion9 unique in some way. Considering the hellish quest to get it (harder than Lamplighter, in some games even impossible.), it should have something to call it's own. A unique characteristic. All high level weapons, especially the quest weapons or level 10 weapons, seems to have their own advantage and disadvantage to other weapons. For example, the APA has doomsday damage and advanced damage type and probably the longest range ever, but fires very slowly, and no tracking/omni. The Lamplighter has the best damage type in part 1, and fires much more quickly than the APA, but it's range is somewhat short. The IM90 is somewhat normal on damage, fire rate, and range, but it has got three barrels that all independently target enemies. The IFC is very short ranged, but have by far the highest dps in the game. So much that it can kill anything short of dreadnoughts in a second or two. So the Ion9 should also have a unique trait, and from it's quest, should be a trait never seen before. (Like the IM90) Maybe a weapon that combines omni and tracking so it would never miss? A chain-lightning cannon that fires tracking lightnings that moves on to other targets after the first was hit? A weapon that does not require energy? Or one that leeches energy from the target to our ship? It doesn't need to be the best. If it's unique enough, then at least some players would want it in their arsenal.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It's not specific to CC, but the discussion of how station buy limits affects cargo holds makes me think they should be reworked to be less obtuse and exploity. Probably the limits should be raised, and stations should only offer to buy the difference between what they have and the limit. You'd have to find a way to set limits that maintains game balance. As a starting point, you could use some number of tons worth, some amount of money worth, or some number of items, whichever is lowest. The values could also be multiplied by some factor representing the size of the station's economy, like money generation rate.
Bruno
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

About the Freyr, assuming the ships will continue to fly towards the core in part II, would not the Freyr be obsolete after leaving human space?

I doubt the Rasiermesser coorporation has branches outside the Iocrym blockade...
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think players are expected to change ships sometime after part I. Ship changing was implemented in anticipation for that.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Bruno wrote:About the Freyr, assuming the ships will continue to fly towards the core in part II, would not the Freyr be obsolete after leaving human space?

I doubt the Rasiermesser coorporation has branches outside the Iocrym blockade...
 Not any more so than, say, the Sapphire. True, you likely won’t be using Rassiermesser weapons once you get past Heretic, but you probably won’t be using Rassiermesser weapons when you get to Heretic in the first place.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm still seeing armor problems with the Manticore. Novaya and Meteorsteel are the only effect resistant armors and they just don't show up. Especially considering that it needs 6 segments and light and heavy meteorsteel show up in 1d4s when they do.

The second Novaya type isn't even showing up in Makayev outlets.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:I'm still seeing armor problems with the Manticore. Novaya and Meteorsteel are the only effect resistant armors and they just don't show up. Especially considering that it needs 6 segments and light and heavy meteorsteel show up in 1d4s when they do.

This might be a good time and goal for redesigning XMH armor...making it a speciality armor that would be useful for the Manticore. At present it's "That useless gimmick armor".

With some experimenting, it could be "That useless (except to manticores) gimmick armor."
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:
Atarlost wrote:I'm still seeing armor problems with the Manticore. Novaya and Meteorsteel are the only effect resistant armors and they just don't show up. Especially considering that it needs 6 segments and light and heavy meteorsteel show up in 1d4s when they do.

This might be a good time and goal for redesigning XMH armor...making it a speciality armor that would be useful for the Manticore. At present it's "That useless gimmick armor".

With some experimenting, it could be "That useless (except to manticores) gimmick armor."
I have/had an unpublished mod with higher level versions of XMH which scaled resistence while retaining the same repairtech level, The Heavy XMH and XMH Slab armors were both useful, though I had to make them difficult to obtain for balance
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}