A couple of questions regarding equipment

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
snafu
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Shrike wrote:
pixelfck wrote:
Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Most of the tinker items are pretty underwhelming by the time they're obtainable.
^This.

The tinker items are above average for their level... But, by the time you can finally craft them, it is usually a better deal to just go for a higher level item instead. By buying a higher level item you not only get more bang for your buck, you pretty much get you more bang overall.

~Pixelfck
Except the dual Mark-III, but that does take a very good memory of where to find the parts, and the RNG sometimes makes it impossible to get until it is, indeed, obsolescent.
[edit - comment on Captain's Log removed, hadn't realised it's new game only functionality :( [/edit]

FWIW /some/ of the enhancements on tinker gear can be very useful, but I'm not sure how well they work out financially :(
Dom 8-)
EditorRUS
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

2: Until you get at least a Nova-100 and decent gear, I would say it’s definitely worth it to collect and offload damaged goods at them. It can add up faster than you might expect. It generally stops being worth it sometime between Rigel Aurelius and St. Kat’s, though. Prices just get too steep at that point, unless you almost have enough for that shiny new set of armor or what have you.
Totally disagree. Even at the very start of the game it worth nothing. The only notable exception is damaged armor. Usually it's far more profitable to repair a damaged armor and sell it. Selling damaged armor does no good.

As for me it's useless to sell unpacked ammo, missiles, low-level fuel. Unpacked ammo is no good because it's extremely common and shops usually don't accept too much of it and even if they were to buy it all you wouldn't get enough money to repay your spent time. Missiles is not good for the same reason, though reversed. You usually don't have PILES of missiles in your cargo (after all they are kinda heavy and filling your space with this crap just for sale is a bad idea) nor you get a lot of high-level missiles worth to be sold. By the time you start to get some worthwhile missiles, you usually have some powerful cashcow and selling missiles seems to be stupid idea as they might come in handy when you fight with big ships or a horde of small ones. Fuel selling is just plain dumbness. Fuel is your second life resource (first being armor), selling it means killing yourself slowly. It's as if you are selling Elerium-115 when playing UFO: Enemy unknown without base milking bug abuse. In early game you are really dependent on fuel so you can't just sell it right away. It might seem attractive to sell those pesky helium rodes by 90 cr., but it's a huge risk. In middle game selling helium won't get you much money but at this time you may have a reactor that doesn't accept helium rodes and well, it's pointless to keep it in your cargo especially when you know it takes quite some space. In late game selling fuel is a bit better (considering you sell xenolithic one) but you can get far more money just by killing stuff and selling guns.

One of the most robust techniques to get tons of money, I mean TONS OF MONEY, is just getting two gems of teleportation to Elysium and teleporting in endgame systems and scavenging around without getting into a battle. It's insanely risky (it's usual to get followed by, say, Ares ships and get killed), but definitely the most profitable way. Though there is one hidden disadvantage which I always get hit on by: low-level shops usually DON'T have THAT MUCH MONEY to buy your high-level crap. I literally had a situation where I returned from my trip into the endgame world and could only sell some luxuries. Weapons, armor, none of that I managed to sell because not a single shop could afford it.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Selling broken weapons to various weapon shops or the Tinkers can yield some nice cash as long as you are mindful of buying limits. Player can accumulate lots of broken junk, and much of it is useless for anything else; might as well sell damaged goods in bulk for cash.

In early game, I search for solar panel or armor and keep it on until I find a jumpdrive and a reactor to power it. Solar items provide all of the fuel I need, even if sitting on a star is boring. I hoard all fuel either to sell, donate to Sisters, or feed a fabricator. Selling helium fuel by the hundreds to Ice Farms (after buying all food from the farm) is (or was) a great way to make some cash. The rest go elsewhere to be offered in some way. I rarely use fuel rods for my ship.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.