2015 Annual Report

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

http://multiverse.kronosaur.com/news.hexm?id=1584

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful 2015 and here's to a great 2016!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Looking forward to seeing what happens this year!
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A lot of good news there, glad to hear that things are going well. There's been lots of interest in CSC America, so it's good to hear that it's on the way. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how what you described in the thread way back when ended up coming together in the engine.

Regarding asking for help, this would be an excellent mechanic to implement, especially for modders. Adding a 'say' function to ships and stations that takes a string and calls an 'onSaid' event that lets other entities do something in response to the string and the entity that said it would allow a whole host of things to be implemented much more elegantly, especially when adding new sovereigns and entities.

For example, a Commonwealth Station under attack could 'say' "Send me reinforcements!". The 'onSaid' function for Fleet CSCs could check the various attributes of the object that said something, and then check what the message was. Upon seeing that it said "Send me reinforcements!" and its sovereign was Commonwealth, it could spawn 5 Centurions and order them to guard the object that sent the message.

If, later, someone wishes to implement a faction of raiders that would prey on stations in distress, they could respond to any call of onSaid where the message is "Send me reinforcements!" and the sovereign of the sender is not the same as their own by marking that station, and sending a freighter to orbit it for a while and loot it if it gets destroyed.

Improving the map interface would be a great opportunity to add new ROMs, with each unlocking one of the new features.

Indeed, this could be a fairly low key path to implementing persistent unlocks, as you discussed earlier, without the need for any time consuming or controversial balancing. Accomplishing some manner of feat in one game could permanently unlock an interface improvement, so that the player no longer needs a ROM for it in future playthroughs. For example, saving Point Juno from attack could give the player permanent access to a ROM that lists the positions of known CSCs on the galactic map.
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

*squeal of delight* Part II is coming! :D

I've been spreading the word about Transcendence and gotten a few more people into Anacreon (we still need a server reset), so I'll see how many people I can get hooked.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Thumbs up!
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Ok, I'm so looking forward to Part II now!
From the wrap up of the year post here's what I'd expect. The three ship types would probably stand mostly alone but some cross usefulness is expected with limits.
For example I see a tech ship using a bio shield in a limited capacity, say 60%, just because it was still better than what they were using. Of course it won't improve on that ship or regenerate.
Also possible a bio ship having stunted growth if there are items used that aren't native.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Part II is so last year, its all about Part III
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Alright. That was just... GREAT! The first sign of an active game dev! Track reviews! So from what I remember from reading Trans reviews on Steam, a guy said that there was no UI for changing controls, but from the XML. That guy was lazy bones imho, but George got it! And there was a button eyed fellow who didn't see where the music control was. And as for controller support, thats pretty easy (to design. C++ implements are a pain in the butt) like moving with the + PAD as in... Wait. Lack of BUTTons haha! As for Map UI, I gave some ideas in this thread [ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7398 ] with some other (thrash or whatever) ideas. And wait! Bioships! Cyborg ships for Pete's Sake? Woah! This will mean bio-nanite and photovolatic ability to each armour, right? And you mean REAL upgrade? No WOLFEN? T_T WHY! JUST...WHY? Looks like I overreacted! Srry. And it feels nice that George generated so much income! Excitement for Part 2 is about to kill me! And I want "Phobos Slayer" achievement :D