Mining is fun.

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I love mining. Especially when I run across stuff like this:

128 tons of titanium ore, and about thirty of assorted palladium, ceralloy, and gold. Gotta love large, ore bearing asteroids.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

And what's really nice is finding a mining station, Tinkers and an Enclave all in the second system. Get mining laser installed, Convert Duralloy ore to armor and sell the other ores = Fast big bucks and level 6 regen'g armor...and that laser makes a fine (early) base cracker too.

Twice now I've been able to install 4 seg's of Duralloy by the second system. Now that puts the usefullness of that armor back into the game.
Sweet!
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Mining is fun, once you figure out how to do it. I think an option at one of the mining stations instucting you on how to do it would be useful.

Have a whiskey with a grizled old miner or something

To be honest, I generally give up mining after St K's or so.
Lord Trogg
Miner
Miner

I think that mining is an excellent way of getting some good money in the beginning of the game but later on it you get so rich that it isn't worth the time it takes.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I disagree. You can net 200K or so in inner-belt systems, the ones with reddish asteroids. And it's an alternative to 'mining' ferians, which I find tedious and irritating. There's at least some element of variability with asteroid mining. You never know if you going to get thirty tons of titanium, or ten of ceralloy, or a few tons of etherium...
> = = = = ۞
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

i don't really like mining with my freighter. Takes up a weapon space. Why not blow up the ferians? Of course..i just tried it a week ago... seemed entertaining til i realized I only got Titanium.
>.<
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Keep in mind that this is me you're replying to. I never pilot the freighter if I can help it. :lol:

I figure that the wolfen has this oh-so-convenient extra weapon slot that I'm NEVER gonna use for anything else...so why not mine? The sapphire doesn't, but you don't need all of it's slots for other stuff until mining becomes unprofitable, about when you get to ranx territory, it seems like.
> = = = = ۞
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

i don't really like mining with my freighter. Takes up a weapon space.
Both mining weapons are decent weapons in their own right. The mining laser is available very early on, nearly guaranteed at a respectable price. Slap a collimator and some laser upgrades on it and it will last you as a primary until St. K's. After that you can switch to an Akan or whatever until you find that plasma cutter - decent flyswatter - enhance and it just gets better.

EDIT: although I've been mining with modded mining charges. It's just a low lifetime mine with radius and mining damage. Hits everything onscreen and then some. Makes mining much less of a hassle.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

OddBob wrote:EDIT: although I've been mining with modded mining charges. It's just a low lifetime mine with radius and mining damage. Hits everything onscreen and then some. Makes mining much less of a hassle.
Ooh, can you put the mod(s) on Xelerus? :D
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Cardinal wrote:Mining is fun...
I've changed my mind.

Mining is very boring.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cardinal wrote:I've changed my mind.

Mining is very boring.
I think mining is great. Especially when there's 5 or 6 Asteroid bases in a ringed asteroid system. Bust 'em bases wide open and keep the Borers alive and eventually you'll have a whole fleet of them so eager to mine for you. :twisted:
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Bust 'em bases wide open and keep the Borers alive and eventually you'll have a whole fleet of them so eager to mine for you
True true. Get reflective armor and it's even more fun.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I've been wanting to try that but can never find enough barrels. Usually find 2 or 3 on average and I waste one of them on a test plate.

Just having those Borers mining for you is more than enough. Can't carry all the ores they can mine so ends up making many trips...but the payoff is great!